New and slightly confused

Options
My total calories for the day according to this site is 1,210. How did it get that number? Is it done by height on here?

Replies

• Gem7321
    Options
    Hi

It calculates it based on your current weight, height, activity etc.
  • RageAndLove92
    Options
    Ahh thanks :)
  • RageAndLove92
    Options
    Can I change it? The amount on there seems pretty small
  • jmvmisc24
    jmvmisc24 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It also calculates by the amount of weight you want to lose to. i was like that when i wanted to lost pound and half a week. not i switched to a pound a week so im up to 1500 calories a day.
  • RageAndLove92
    Options
    Mine's set to a pound a week and it's still 1,210. I tried adjusting the weight lost and it didn't change either
  • sondra216379
    sondra216379 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    That's where mine is too and it is totally doable. At first I thought I'd starve to death, but I have been losing 3 pounds a week at this level of calories for 5 weeks and there are some days it's even hard to reach 1200 calories
  • CSummers316
    Options
    Bear in mind that if you hit the gym, you can eat back some of those burned calories.

Just a thought and all that jazz
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    YES, you can change it. Go in under Goals and tell it you want Custom instead of Guided - then you can adjust everything. Personally I would recommend that you figure out your BMR using the calculator here or if you want a more detailed calculation there is a good one at http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html. Set your BMR as your minimum daily calories, instead of MFP's 1210.

Then if you are working out, or doing anything more than just sitting/sleeping all day, you would eat back at least a significant part of your activity/exercise calories as well.

Or, you can stick with MFP's plan which puts that 1210 as your minimum and then adds on exercise calories as you earn them, and expects you to eat all of them. Same thing, just a lower starting point.
  • RageAndLove92
    Options
    I can't go to the gym right now, I just had a baby so have to wait 2 more weeks until I can exercise again
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    YES, you can change it. Go in under Goals and tell it you want Custom instead of Guided - then you can adjust everything.

^^This^^. You can set your goal to .5 lb per week and see if that calorie allowance suits you better, or manually adjust your calorie goals using the "Custom" setting.
  • RageAndLove92
    Options
    I figured out how to do it :)
    Now have a more appropriate calorie intake for me :)