Things people who are trying to lose weight say that bother

Options

Replies

• zlem
    zlem Posts: 92
    Options
    my mother-in-law, sitting around the table after someone mentioning the fact I lost a few kilos

"These young ones lose the weight SOOOO easily, they don't have to work hard like people like me! I work and work and work and never lose anything!"

arggh makes me want to scream sometimes.. just put down cheesecake and stop deep-frying everything. Stop wasting money on "fat blaster" and optifast and all that other stuff, won't do much when you have bacon and eggs and hash browns and sausages for breakfast EVERY morning.

She's 65ish and has been obese since she got married at 20, been "trying" to lose weight ever since. I feel sorry for her but that's hard to do sometimes because she always has some ****ty little snide remark towards everything I do.

woops that turned into a bit of a rant hah. sorry =)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    a co-worker at work and I started losing weight together a couple years ago. I did MFP while she's done just about every single diet you can think of. Dunkan, Paleo, Jorge Cruze, 17 day, etc etc. I've been losing steadily. the most she's lost is 50 lbs. infact she was within 25 lbs. of reaching her goal weight. however she isn't consistent and has gained it all back.

she blames her age. she is in her early 50's. I told her no and shown her pictures of folks her age on here that succeed. I tried to get her to join MFP but she doesn't want to track calories. Says it's too hard and it won't work. I point out it works for me and she counters with me being young. I point out the older people on here that lose just fine and keep it off and still refuses to try it. She has collected tons of diet books and she'll be good for a few weeks following their guidelines but then she'll go back to her old habits and whatever she lost, she gains again. she blames boredom. She'll get bored with it and stop. I have tried over and over to get her to sign up to MFP but she doesn't want to. I just kind of gave up with her. I'll still go on walks with her, hit the YMCA together etc etc but when it comes to the diet part it's like hitting my head against a wall.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I strongly believe it IS just a question of eating right and exercising, but I know that people have an emotional attachment, even addiction to food that makes that very hard, which is where these plans come in.

They work for some people because they understand the intention behind them - breaking the addiction to food, but they don't work for people who don't get it. I went to a party last week with a lot of people doing one of these plans, and they all had plates piled absolutely to the top with "allowed" foods - chilli, baked potato, pasta salad, ham and salami. I was there eating one spoonful of vegetable chilli and one of greek salad, with a big green salad on the side, no dressing. They were all laughing at how little I eat, and how I am obsessive about exercise, and I just sat there thinking "and I am a size 8 (UK), and you are obese....can you not see what is going on here?" But apparently they couldn't. I logged my meal after and it came to 600 cals, so goodness knows what their's were. You can't say anything to people who think like that, because it would be tactless and downright rude, but you have to be realistic.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I get told its really easy for me and I don't know what its like to be fat and over weight. Thats a guess people actually get wrong. At one point I was 270lb at about 30% body fat.

The simple fact is I spend probably 10 hours a week lifting, every day preparing and eating 6-8 set meals and sticking to it and eating only what I need. When I cut, there is prolly another 10-14 hours a week of cardio on top, its not easy. It is NOT easy for anyone - it is simply take will power and a strong desire to succeed.

The major problem is junk gives an endorphin rush chemically very similar to drugs and thus the mind can become addicted to them. Its a tough cycle to crack one in it. It also doesn't help from young we were rewarded by parents with sweets or ice cream or the like for doing well/listening/eating all our meals etc - works against our programming not to reward ourselves with food.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who wants to lose weight. I tried to tell her about MFP , how fab it was and how I had lost the weight steadily through sensible eating and exercise. She told me that her other friend was trying to lose weight and had said the only way to lose weight was to go on a really strict diet and not eat much and she agreed with her. I was quite shocked. Her loss I suppose.
  • driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I've got the funniest fad diet ever:

My sister told me that instead of using MFP that helped me loose 11kg, she decided to try her friends diet which was 'eat ONLY cous-cous for an entire month until she lost enough weight' but instead of cous-cous she said she'd do the 'fruit only' diet.

I warned her about binging and the unrealistic nature of this absurd phenomenon, needless to say I don't even think she finished 24hrs on this thing.

Some people look optimistically at fad diets because they seem easy. They don't realise what I've been saying all along - after a month of doing MFP it becomes so easy and you think of food in an entirely different way. It does get tricky sometimes but really all it is is moderation.

I made a low-fat vs. of my mothers lasagne and instead of finishing off half the pot, I only had two slices. Yesterday I had one small plain hamburger from McDonalds instead of an entire quarter-pounder meal. Moderation is key, and really really simple once you get the hang of it.
  • hannata86
    Options
    its tough when its the ones you care about getting on like that. You want them to feel better, and be able to do it... but at the end of the day they have to want to do it. Just like every one of us that came here.

Actually my father had a heart attack not that long ago, hes completely changed his diet. His diet prior to the heart attack would probably have put me to shame... (it was already pretty healthy) so hes now completely cut out everything bad, dropped about 2 stone in a matter of weeks. I'm actually a little concerned that hes gone a bit too far. His complexion is grey.. and hes lost maybe a bit too much weight... :/
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    A friend on my fiancee's FB was complaining that she just can't lose weight and keeps gaining it back from the fad diets she keeps trying. A few people in the comments posted and said 'just eat right and exercise and it will stay off'. Her response was..

"..screw you all who said eat right and workout, if it were that simple wed all be healthy fit beautiful models."

I understand that people have to be ready to lose weight, but really? I guess it's hard for me to understand how people just expect the weight to come off magically and stay off while you're still eating junk.

Ask me how I lost weight and then refuse to accept the answer - "I ate less, I moved more" - they prefer to hear some magical solution.. or will go on about various diets (Atkins, low GI, etc) they are trying or want to try.
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    People can be reluctant to give the health eating/exercising thing a go because it's too slow. A fad diet promises to drop 10lbs a week and people love the sound of those kind of results. It's supposed to be easy. You eat x or don't eat y for a week and the wait will fall off. You tell them it'll take 5 weeks to drop those "same" 10lbs and they won't do it.

The ironic thing is once you get into the swing of watching your calories it really is very easy, but this is the kind of 'diet' that people are only going to take up if they want to change their lives, and not just drop some immediate weight.
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Basically, I try not to be judgemental about this because I'm sort of like "each to their own" about this. After all, if people try, sorry, idiotic things to lose weight and fail, it's their loss (or lack thereof), not mine. The only thing that bothers me is when friends come up to me and complain about not losing weight after trying the millionth silly diet they got out of a girly magazine and I tell them that's not the way to go and they still won't listen and make it sound like I'm not supportive enough because I don't tell them that this is such a great idea and it's gonna be SO easy and go SO well.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Sometime's people need to hit their rock bottom before they can commit to changing their way of life for good.

Unfortunately, that's often true.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Yep! I have a friend who's been overweight for as long as I've known her. She posted on Facebook that she was going to KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) after her Zumba lesson. Way to eat back 200% of her cals! And she wonders why she doesn't lose weight...
    that's sad.

My father-in-law is probably 300 something lbs. He started going to the gym doing cardio and lifting weight a YEAR ago and still hasn't lost any weight!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (well maybe 10 lbs or so). But then, he eats like crap and doesn't care about calories. :(
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I found that people have to be ready to commit totally to losing weight.

People on here will ask to be my friend and then want my "secret" and tips. I give them tips but most dont want to hear that I changed my eating habits and my lifestyle.

I have a few co-workers that wanted to lose weight with me. Im still waiting for them. I am down 100lbs down and they are the same.
    I get the excuse... I dont have time to go to the gym... Its too much work to plan out your meals ahead of time. I dont have time to log my food. They arent committed just looking for the "quick fix"

They eat all the food that is made by others or catered in to work.. i will taste a bite here and there.
    I am 20lbs from my goal.. I am way healthier they I was a year ago. what are they?
  • ednawhatnot
    ednawhatnot Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's taken me over 20 years to accept that the only way I'll lose weight is to change my lifestyle. I suppose I always knew it but I wasn't ready to commit to it while in the throes of a white bread and potato addiction. In the past I'd lose three stones through healthy diet and exercise then get bored and put it all back on. I'm determined that it won't happen this time. I can't explain what has changed mentally but something has just clicked and I'm finally ready to make that change.
  • livi_cowgirl
    livi_cowgirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Not to sound like I'm defending your friend, but I'm sympathetic to the response in this sense: assuming you have a normal physiology, there is truth that controlling caloric intake will lead to weight loss; but IMPLEMENTING these changes is far harder than many people (particularly in MFP) seem willing to acknowledge. Real and successful weight loss requires major behavioral change, the implementation of which is never easy. I've always found it platitudinous to wave the "eat less and exercise more" banner without simultaneously discussing and acknowledging the complex behavioral change that must ensue.

I suppose the short version of my point is this: people who say eat less and exercise more very frequently present this as a simple solution...which it is anything but. (Note I'm speaking as someone who's made the modifications successfully for 10 months and is approaching goal. I'm not defending excuse-making; I'm pointing out how difficult this really is.)

I completely agree with this. I was one of those people who went to the gym and then ate all the burned calories back and then some and kidded myself on that I was doing everything I could and that there must just be something wrong with me. It wasn't until I finally had the epiphany that I actually started to loose weight. I look at food completely differently now. I weight my food, I constantly check calories, etc.

People ask me all the time, what is my secret and I tell them, "eat less, exercise more". I realise now that is is NOT that simple. You have to have that epiphany too. You have to be willing to change your life and THAT is the hardest thing anyone can ever do.

My mum is loosing weight with me. She complains when I loose more weight than her saying "You have the tablets so it's easier for you." Yes, I take Orlistat and yes it does help you loose slightly more weight, but it's not a miracle fix. I have to work bloody hard to loose that weight. She goes to the gym 2 days a week, I go as many as 5 days. That's why I loose more weight than her. These tablets do NOT do all the work for me.

My uncle who is easily 400lbs and can barely walk took Orlistat for a while. He stopped taking them after a few months because of the unwanted side effects and complained they didn't work. They didn't work because every time I seen him he was stuffing his face with junk food and THAT'S why he got the unwanted side effects. I almost never get the side effects because I eat the right foods.

My brother who must be 300lbs, has no desire to loose weight, not even after seeing my success.

My sister, who is a fan of fad diets and yo-yo's constantly, refused point blank to use MFP when I showed it to her. She said it's too much work logging everything.

So it's not just a case of "eat less, exercise more". It's about changing people's attitudes and educating them about the right ways of doing it. Unfortunately, the former is the biggest challenge of all and only THEY can change that.
  • thea724
    Options
    eating multiple meals a day is not bs it helps you fight hunger
    I was just telling my sister's that yesterday...
    for six weeks now I have been eating constantly and losing weight...

250-300 calorie meals/ 3x a day
    100-150 calorie Snacks/ 4x a day.
    lots of water + exercise 3-4 days a week = -24 lbs in 6 weeks....
    This ain't no diet....this is a lifestyle I can LIVE with =D

can I get an Amen? :tongue:
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    All of your guys' points are so true. And I completely agree that anyone having an emotional attatchment to food will have a harder time (I'm one of those people). I think my biggest problem is that people were just trying to help her by telling her that these fad diets don't work, (and proof from her, she said she had done the Atkins before and lost 40 lbs and somehow "magically" got it back. her words..). JUST LISTEN AND LET US HELP YOU!
  • michellecorvin
    michellecorvin Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My problem is I know the right things to do, I just have a problem doing them over and over again. LOL
  • rsdgirl
    rsdgirl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Sometime's people need to hit their rock bottom before they can commit to changing their way of life for good.

could not have said it better myself
  • sv1983
    sv1983 Posts: 23
    Options
    it is so hard to loss weight, keeping it off is extremely hard as well.. any1 who thinks it is easy is ignorant!