Workout shoes? Which ones?

Options
I am looking to get a different pair of workout shoes. Right now I have a pair of New Balance, but they are getting worn out and I desperately need a new pair. I do not do any running, so please do not factor that it. I do a lot of home workout videos, such as JM shred, Kickboxing, Zumba and a lot of other high impact stuff. I also do occasional walking at the local park. I am really looking for a light weight shoe. I have a list of some things I have been looking at online. If anyone could suggest one more than the other that would be great!

Reebok EasyTone
Nike Air Cross Trainer
Nike Shox
Nike Musique
Nike Free
Adidas Adirene Cross Trainer
Curves Ztraction

Replies

• JustBeckyV
    Options
    I wouldnt rule out a running shoe because you are not running. They have a lot of great options for running shoes that are light weight and often comfort , cushioning and stability. All of the things you need for other types or workouts.

I don't think personally I would use one of the toning shoes for a workout activity but that's me.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Do NOT get Nike Shox...they're terrible. All flash and no support.

I like the Nike Air Cross Trainer and the Nike Free runners are good if you like a minimal feel to your shoes. Personally, I like a lot of cushion. I wear a pair of Nike Pegasus +28s for my running days and a pair of Nike Lunarlon's for my non-running days. The Lunarlons are technically running shoes, but I don't like running in them, but good support for other high impact exercise.
  • ben3215
    ben3215 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been using the "Vibrams" for over a year now and have found them to be the best workout show I have ever had.
  • dsuppa1997
    Options
    I use Nike Compete 2, and theyre super light and comfortable, but really the only way for you to know is go and try on as many different brands and styles as you can to see what is right for you.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I have been using the "Vibrams" for over a year now and have found them to be the best workout show I have ever had.

I'm so jealous. I tried them, I REALLY tried them, but I just couldn't deal with it. Being between my toes just annoyed me to death and my joints were hurting too much. So wish I could get into the barefoot running, but I'm a weenie, I need cushion :)
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have always been a faithful New Blance Sneaker owner but, my last pair which was a Christmas Gift were Nike Shox. I love them but, I had to actually try them to know that. At first I was disapointed. But now, I feel they provide great support for my jogs. I think everyone is different when it comes to sneakers. It depends on the shape of your feet & the cut of the sneakers.

My suggestion is to go to the store & try on the different types of sneakers. Walk around in them. Mybe spint in the alise. Don't worry about fashion or price. Go with the comfort test.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I used to be a New Balance fan but converted to Asics a couple of years ago and that's all she wrote. I am thinking about getting some of the New Balance trial runners but I love my Asic Kayanos... they are expensive - but are awesome shoes! They are coming out with the 18 now - so you can get the 17's cheaper than what I got mine for!
  • rw4004
    rw4004 Posts: 157
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!I don't know what kind to get either.I might have to try the vibrams.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    You need to get fitted/tested for how you actually run or walk. If you know some avid runners, ask them about good places to get fitted or tested for the proper shoes like Runners World or Fleet Feet. These stores have you run and/or walk on a treadmill and watch/record your motions from your feet upwards. Your shoes are an investment and the wrong ones can cause you injury!
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I love Asics! And ONLY Asics!!!
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I would check out Brooks Pure Project if you like a light weight shoe that is good for training and running.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    All I ever buy now are Skechers shape ups. They are super comfortable and they have great arch support.

I don't think they make your body any more fit though just by walking in them.
  • waylward
    waylward Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was interested in the answers to this question b/c I am also looking for a new aerobics sneaker. I don't run but do zumba, hula hooping, kickboxing, etc. - lots of high impact stuff. I had my feet properly measured at a running store and buy my sneakers thru them. I've always found the Aasics or Adidas to be the most comfortable. However, about half an hour into my workouts the balls of my feet always go numb. I was told this was because my shoes were too small (which is why I now get properly measured) or that I tie my laces too tight (I don't believe this). Anyone else have this problem and what did you do to fix it?
  • kelstad
    kelstad Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Awesome thread! I'm needing a new pair too, so it's nice to see what people are liking.
  • JustBeckyV
    Options
    I have also heard good things about the Brooks Pure Project. They are incredibly light weight. I would also agree that you should go try them on and see how they feel on your feet.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Get the ones that fit you the best... the ones that offer the most support, fit the shape of your foot, and support your natural stride/stance.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    As two others have stated- you need to try on the shoes to see what works best for you. I use Addidas Adistar shoes for running and I love them. Everyone has a different taste so really go to a store, try on the ones that you like and see which fit the best.
  • Stavakoli
    Stavakoli Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The Nike Free are AMAZING. I got a pair a few months ago and I honestly don't know how I worked out without them! I run, do kickboxing and strength training and they are perfect. They are extremely light weight, comfortable and flexible. I'd definitely recommend going and trying a few different shoes to see what works for you, but I can honestly say this shoe is the greatest!
  • kfollow
    Options
    I am very impressed, you are my inspiration. Great job
  • rsdgirl
    rsdgirl Posts: 246 Member
    Options

^^^ not quite a year for me BUT do freaking love them :)