Why are people afraid to eat?

Options
I love how when people start a diet they are afraid to eat. I understand the first 3 letters in diet are "DIE", however it doesnt have to feel that way. My fitness pal has allowed me to maximize my caloric intake by watching how much crap I eat but every so often I enjoy that ice cream or that cheeseburger. What makes it even better is the calories you get back from working out you need to eat them back......MORE FOOD!? I see nothing wrong with that! So far since December I have dropped a total of 30lbs. It is also recommended at least once a week go over your calories by 200. This is good if you are stuck at a certain weight because it confuses your body. When you jump back to eating the right calories your body will work a little harder as if it were working on the extra calories. Just some food for thought

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Such great advice!

Food and hunger are not the enemies. Our relationship with food is! Relegate the food back to fuel for your body. And if you're hungry, EAT! Your body will always tell you what it needs!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Well, it's not only the fact that most people get fat because they overeat but it's a old misconception that we have to starve ourselves in order to lose weight. No happy medium in most people's minds - starve yourself until you lose the weight then go back to eating normal and gain it back then starve yourself, etc etc. Unfortunatetly it's rarely about health.

However, you, me and a lot of other MFP members are trying really hard to change people's minds about this and help them realized that YES YOU CAN EAT AND LOSE WEIGHT! You can even enjoy normal foods as long as your portions are kept in check and you stay in your daily calorie limit most of the time. Also, most people don't think about what they eat and how their bodies react that particular fuel. For instance, simple carbs burn through quickly while complex carbs, fats and proteins tend to stick with us longer - so it's not just about quantity but also quality and making overall changing in your diet.

It's not just a weight loss journey, it's an adventure in learning how to eat better for life. :)

(Forgive me if that's a bit too much, I just got back to the gym and am dealing with a bit of a runner's high)
  • liquid_promises
    Options
    Personally, I think people are scared because society portrays any and all people who are thicker to be fat, and everyone who is fat is obese, ugly, and has horrid hygiene that sits around all day and does nothing but shove food in their mouths.
    Granted, some of the people out there are lazy bums that do just that but what about the bigger people out there busting their *kitten* to save lives? EMTS, RNS, etc...

People see dieting as ways to get skinny (or pretty) and do it in a hurry, the sad part is (and the companies thrive off this) they don't know that they can loose all the weight they want, but if they don't do the lifestyle change that goes with major weight loss, they will gain it back... and the diet pills and etc the people behind them want you to gain it back to buy more product to loose more...

In all honesty, you should be eating more frequently and smaller meals... to keep your metabolism active.
    Society has mind fu**ed everyone into thinking FAST IS BEST (diet pills, fast food for convenience, microwavable entrees to save time.. etc)
  • JMolina85
    Options
    Dont get me wrong I was still healthy being big, but over all I still felt I needed to lessen the stress on my joints. I dont believe in the BMI crap either. I am currently 209lbs and was stronger when I was heavier. I had more mass to me there for I weighed more. In order for me to be "normal" I have to weigh between 118 and 159......HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Seriously? I weight 156 when I came back from Iraq and I looked too skinny. My bone structure wont allow it. I looked like a crackhead. If you are healthy but bigger I say you are winning the battle. As long as you are comfortable in your skin that it all that matters. F society and their rules about what is healthy and beautiful and great to be and blah blah blah.
  • liquid_promises
    Options
    I agree. BMI doesn't take into account the vast variety of bone structures and etc. My 'BMI Healthy range is 170' AS IF
    I am 6'1 404 lbs and my lowest was 289 and I was in a size 16 benching 200+ and running a mile in 7 mins
    I am german and large. I am a husky woman. baha
  • JMolina85
    Options
    My wife is german (sabina85 on my fitness pal). 200+!? Impressive I squat 800+ lol There really is no reason for it unless I have to lift the front end of a car to get something LMAO
  • SithZombie
    SithZombie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    XD I'm sure I go over by more than 200 on the weekends...whoops!
  • princessputz
    princessputz Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's because eating got us into this mess.....
  • chelbel89
    chelbel89 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

^^^This.
  • jennmartin82
    Options

^ this
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Such great advice!

Food and hunger are not the enemies. Our relationship with food is! Relegate the food back to fuel for your body. And if you're hungry, EAT! Your body will always tell you what it needs!

That is not true, hunger is not the best indication of your bodies nutritional requirements. It is better to look at mood, energy levels, etc.

I would be starving if I drank most of my cals even consuming over 3000 cals, but if I ate only veggies for 800 cals I would be stuffed. This tells me that hunger is not the best way to judge if you need more calories. Not to mention most people feel hungry when they are thirsty or bored, so they shouldn't eat then if they don't need the cals. Lean to eat properly again and your hunger signals should re-set so you are hungry when you need to eat.
  • techigirl78
    techigirl78 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    A lot of people think the more the restrict the faster they will lose the weight and a lot of people try to rush weight loss.
  • JMolina85
    Options
    doing that causes your body to go into starvation mode and store fat for energy. Tried to hibernate once....didnt make it past 3 days and definitely not recommended lol.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    The psychological aspect is quite strong and not necessarily rational. It takes a little bit of research to understand TDEE and net calories. Some people never bother to do the reading. Others do, but somehow still don't believe in it. For a long time people thought the earth was flat too, and that the universe revolved around the earth. Similarly, we have stuff like this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/488879-whats-the-point-to-exercise-then
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    When I started last week I was afraid to eat because I figured I needed to keep in the recommended calorie range but I have learned in the past week its not limiting how much we eat but what we eat. I think I am eating more during the day now then I was before I started this, but I'm watching what I eat and cutting out the junk and the empty calories I was eating leaving more room for healthier foods. I am drinking water, milk occasionally, and a cup of black coffee, its crazy how much I was drinking my calories away. Food isn't the enemy its what foods WE choose to eat.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Well, it's not only the fact that most people get fat because they overeat but it's a old misconception that we have to starve ourselves in order to lose weight. No happy medium in most people's minds - starve yourself until you lose the weight then go back to eating normal and gain it back then starve yourself, etc etc.

This pretty much sums it up.

I personally like food. Even when losing my net was around 2000 calories.
  • bmacholiday
    bmacholiday Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I love how when people start a diet they are afraid to eat. I understand the first 3 letters in diet are "DIE", however it doesnt have to feel that way. My fitness pal has allowed me to maximize my caloric intake by watching how much crap I eat but every so often I enjoy that ice cream or that cheeseburger. What makes it even better is the calories you get back from working out you need to eat them back......MORE FOOD!? I see nothing wrong with that! So far since December I have dropped a total of 30lbs. It is also recommended at least once a week go over your calories by 200. This is good if you are stuck at a certain weight because it confuses your body. When you jump back to eating the right calories your body will work a little harder as if it were working on the extra calories. Just some food for thought

Awesome loss BTW!
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options

Yes, eating too much for a long time, and doing too little will do that... :)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I think society tells us that if we are fat, we don't deserve to eat until we are no longer fat pigs. And we internalize that. Seriously, tell someone you are on a diet and then even if you spend hours with them where you haven't eaten a bite, tell them you're hungry and they're more than likely going to respond, "I thought you were on a diet?"
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    That is not true, hunger is not the best indication of your bodies nutritional requirements. It is better to look at mood, energy levels, etc.

Ummm, this is listening to your body! I didn't say eat mindlessly either. You have to slow down and decide if it's what you really need or if you are only trying to fill some other void.