Only 1200 calories?

Options

Replies

• rlowe1955
    rlowe1955 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a 5'8" male, mid-fifties. Started out at 184 lbs and got down to 165 lbs. eating 1450 calories, but then got stuck there. To get down to 150 lbs. I ate 1200 calories and got down to 150 in two months ... total six months to go from 184 to 150. I am now back to 1600 calories to maintain and that seems to be working (three weeks).

1200 calories requires being serious about smaller portions, and when eating out (which I do a lot of on business occasions) you just don't eat everything on your plate.
  • 1200 works for me, but I eat tons of fruits and veggies and whole grains and those are somewhat light on calories and make be feel full for a long while and I get to eat more times a day so that helps too.
  • angraham2
    Options
    a lot depends on your activity level. If you are sedentary, 1200 might be appropriate, if you are even lightly active it should be higher. You may also have your weight loss goal set too high. One pound a week is healthy loss. Anything more and your risking nutrition. Good Luck with this.
  • RenaPink11
    RenaPink11 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5", 204 and it has me at 1200 too.... my food diary is public, I said public, not perfect LOL I'm still new to this journey and looking for friends within the same goals. Feel free to add me.
  • ben3215
    ben3215 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6", and a full time firefighter and haven't had a problem with a 1200 calorie diet yet. I also consume no animal protein and I don't usually have a problem with hunger. Remember that plants will fill you up more with less calories.
  • Jazzyrose77
    Jazzyrose77 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4/151lbs. 1200 is not enough for me.
    If you don't exercise it may be enough but I do around 1550-1700 calories. I'm losing real slow.
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I've found this topic really helpful to me. Mine is set to 1200 and I've been struggling with the eating. But seeing how it is working for people I know I just have to readjust and try harder.
  • ElizBald
    Options
    Adding exercise means you can add more calories and still lose weight. I try for at least 30 minutes of light exercise six days out of seven. It really helps. Also getting "paid" in those extra calories makes me want to keep exercising because I really do love my food. I've lost twenty pounds so far doing this.
  • cassellmomof7
    Options
    I am 5'2 140, (was 145 when I started) my goal is 125 ( I have a very small frame) I am also on 1200. If it wasn't for exercise giving me extra calories to eat I wouldn't be able to do it. I do 40min of high intensity workout 5X a week plus I am nursing which gives me an extra 300 calories a day. I am losing 2lbs a week : )
  • Why do people feel compelled to lose weight so quickly? Unless you're completely sedentary, why restrict yourself to only 1200 calories? Obviously, the weight you are trying to lose did not gain in just a month or two. Personally, I'd rather eat more, lose the weight slowly, and keep the weight off.

I eat close to 1800 calories a day; I'd go INSANE if I was on a 1200 calorie a day diet! I love food!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I eat my BMR which is 1600 calories. Then I workout and eat some of my workout calories back but I try to leave at least 500 workout calories. I tried the 1200 calories for 2 DAYS lol...
  • GStar99
    Options
    I am 5'9 and was recommended to eat 1200 calories when I signed up. However, after 2 weeks I have changed my goal to 1300. It has really worked for me. I have found its not always what your eating but when your eating it. If I eat protein in the morning it takes me through till lunch and healthy carbs for dinner will take me to bed time. Planning my meals at the beginning of the day really helps. Otherwise its stressful and too easy to just give in to cravings.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I eat my BMR which is 1600 calories. Then I workout and eat some of my workout calories back but I try to leave at least 500 workout calories. I tried the 1200 calories for 2 DAYS lol...
    I think this is ideal compared to 1200.
  • Debbiegh3303
    Options
    Try doing HCG diet. Its only 500 calories a day.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I am " kinda " at 1200. ( I am 5'7 and start weight of 203.3 )

I put my activity level at sendentary. Therefore, I log MOST exercise related activities.

Going to the store? Counts as walking.

Spend two hours cleaning? Yep, I log that!

Went to the gym? Logged!

Then I eat back most, if not all of my exercise calories. Sometimes, this is 1500 total, sometimes 2000 total. Sometimes more, too! I try to NET 1200.

I've lost 10 lbs in a month, so it is currently working for me.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Try doing HCG diet. Its only 500 calories a day.

Holy cow, do you do this? Today seems to be the "this is how you don't eat" day. I seriously just read a bunch of anorexic threads and profiles and then went and ate a sandwich because I was afraid the obsession would rub off on me (I'm not even joking).

I don't think starving yourself is for anyone, for anyone who's on this, I suggest being healthy instead.

http://www.2medusa.com/2010/05/simeons-protocol-dangerous-hcg-diet.html
  • wendinbill
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and started at 195...I do just fine at 1200. After the first couple days at least! ;) It's a lifestyle change, so I didn't adjust overnight. And some days I want to eat more, so I exercise more. (I do cardio at least 5 times a week) If I don't workout, I don't eat anything over 1200.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" with a starting weight of 218. I have been at 1200 calories the whole time. I learned how to adjust my food and eating schedule in order to stay full. Lean proteins keep me full and I try to avoid processed/packaged food when possible and I definately try to stay away from fast food. It's not always easy and sometimes we just have to do what we have to do with what is available. You can do it, you will just have to figure out what works for you.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Why do people feel compelled to lose weight so quickly? Unless you're completely sedentary, why restrict yourself to only 1200 calories? Obviously, the weight you are trying to lose did not gain in just a month or two. Personally, I'd rather eat more, lose the weight slowly, and keep the weight off.

I eat close to 1800 calories a day; I'd go INSANE if I was on a 1200 calorie a day diet! I love food!

Mainly because 1800 calories would be my maintenance weight, I would lose nothing on that.

I have done 1200 before, it works. What did not work was me eating crap after reaching my goal.

I do not consider it restricting either, I consider it eating less in order to lose weight.
  • rebeccazeno
    rebeccazeno Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have always found, that for me, the easiest way to cut calories is to watch what I drink. Drank a large lemonade yesterday and it had almost as many calories as my meal. I'm a soda adict too that's the first thing I cut. Water and coffee for me for a while and I will probably save about 200 - 300 calories a day plus the water is good for you...:-)