Workout shoes? Which ones?

Options
13»

Replies

• capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    House slippers, preferably of the bunny variety. :tongue:

Anything that has good support for whatever you workout pertains.
  • annieheavrin
    Options
    Nike Free Run 2, I wear them for running, weight training, Zumba, EVERYTHING I do and they are AWESOME & so comfortable & light weight!!
  • snowbirdy
    snowbirdy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Rykas! They are the best shoe I've ever had....made for specially for women with wide toe box and narrow heel and the heels don't slip! I use mostly for walking but they also have a cross trainer too.
    Plus they are on the lower end price wise - about $50 a pair.
    Good luck!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Also, any shoes without a flat sole (the new shoes that have the "bubbled" soles... shape-ups and the like) are TERRIBLE shoes to workout it. The curved sole can actually PROMOTE injury, especially during lateral movements. That are not stable enough to serious workouts. They are great for walking and the like, but SHOULD NOT be worn for workouts.
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    If you want light weight and excellent support any sneaker from LaSportiva is the way to go. This is the only shoe I buy now. I change shoes quite often and find these to give a real custom fit. I like the look of a lot of Nike shoes and get sucked into buying them, but never wear them after a trial period, they just hurt my feet and feel generic. Good luck! P.S. I own about 70 pairs of sneakers from all brands, knowing first hand the build quality of each.
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a good cross trainer. You also have to consider how the shoes are generally cut. Nike seems to run a bit small and narrow but NB has a wide variety of widths. Honestly, I went to the run store and they helped me pcik out a pair of Saucony that I love!!! I tried on shoes yesterday and the new shoes had soles that were less cushion than my 1 year old pair of running shoes that have been far past the 600 mile mark they recommend. The run store can probably help you out even if you are not running much. They are experts in what your foot needs and not just the shoe store clerk. Most times the analysis is free and while you will spend more, it is worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY!!!!
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I both have the Saucony Shadow's and love them! He has high arches and I have flat feet and they work for both of us. I got mine at famous footwear. For even less shoe I have heard great things about the Merrell Pace Gloves. I use the FiveFingers for workout videos, otherwise my feet scream in pain.
  • eacatterton
    eacatterton Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    What is the difference in the Vibrams and going barefoot? I think I would rather be barefoot, couldn't deal with the in between the toes thing. For my workout I would much rather have something extremely light weight with a little bit of cushion on the soles. I am really leaning towards the Nike Free or Nike Musique. IF I can, I might also get the Asics for my walking. I haven't found any of those that don't look bulky.
  • nxcguy
    nxcguy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just got some skecer shap ups also. well built comfortable and not as goofy to walk in as the podiatrist said.
    I have plantar fibromytosis. ( not plantar faciites) Bumps on the arch of the foot. The doc said this might help.becouse it would cause me to roll off the middle of my foot when walking.
    Im not sure it works the way he told me but for just walking and standing they are more comfortable then you would think you do roll a little when just standing, so it may help your balance a little. would not think they would be good for running. but the padding is very soft..and supportive.
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    What is the difference in the Vibrams and going barefoot? I think I would rather be barefoot, couldn't deal with the in between the toes thing. For my workout I would much rather have something extremely light weight with a little bit of cushion on the soles. I am really leaning towards the Nike Free or Nike Musique. IF I can, I might also get the Asics for my walking. I haven't found any of those that don't look bulky.

For me the difference is not stepping directly on the floor, having a form of protection on what I step on, avoiding the cold of the floor, and if my feet sweat when I workout, it won't be slippery when for me.

About having to deal with the toes shaped thing, I thought I was going to have a hard time with that since those flip flops ( I think that's how they're called) that goes between the big and index toes are super annoying for me, the reality was it didn't bother me at all.
  • kfollow
    kfollow Posts: 7
    Options
    I agree with you, I love my fivefinger vibrams
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    The best shoe depends on the shape of your feet and the way your body moves. It's very personal and what works for one person may not work for the next.

I wear New Balance cross trainers, because my podiatrist said that it has a "wide toe box" and it is good for people who have wide feet and bunions. The bunion was removed, but I've always bought New Balance since.