Two hour eating window - post workout

Options
hi guys

I have always been of the thinking that there is a two hour window after you complete your workout where you should eat a good size meal (within the bounds of your calorific target). I tend to have a banana and a protein shake, then a meal an hour after (which comes to approximately 600-800 calories post workout within the two hour window.

he reason to eat in this window is that the rate at which nutrients are absorbed during this period is a lot higher than any other point in the day.

Please let me know your views and how right or wrong my thinking is...

Replies

• BoxingCoachMo
    Options
    bump :-P
  • BoxingCoachMo
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    hi guys

I have always been of the thinking that there is a two hour window after you complete your workout where you should eat a good size meal (within the bounds of your calorific target). I tend to have a banana and a protein shake, then a meal an hour after (which comes to approximately 600-800 calories post workout within the two hour window.

he reason to eat in this window is that the rate at which nutrients are absorbed during this period is a lot higher than any other point in the day.

Please let me know your views and how right or wrong my thinking is...
    Being a body builder my whole life, this has been studied and shown to be true. However I was usually in calorie surplus to bulk up if I ate 600- 800 calories post workout meal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    good information, I always have a homemade protien bar and a protein shake after my workout. I have noticed my muscles do not hurt as much when i do this.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    My trainer recommends this and since I work out in the late afternoon, I generally have dinner within that time frame after working out.
  • Jennicia
    Jennicia Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I usually eat something with protein in it BEFORE my workout and then usually my dinner post workout that is in the ballpark of the 600 calories.
  • BoxingCoachMo
    Options
    good information, I always have a homemade protien bar and a protein shake after my workout. I have noticed my muscles do not hurt as much when i do this.

tummz

You should feel after workouts that your muscles feel empty, ie your glycogen stores have been depleted.

Do you feel like your energy is restored the day after?
  • BoxingCoachMo
    Options
    I usually eat something with protein in it BEFORE my workout and then usually my dinner post workout that is in the ballpark of the 600 calories.

good girl :))
  • SarzWix
    SarzWix Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that, so thank you :smile: Learning something new everyday on this site :happy: