Anyone Following Diet to Lower Cholesterol?

Options
Does anyone on here have high cholesterol levels and following a diet to help lower levels?

Any tips would be helpful. I am researching a lot online, but wouldn't mind some tips from people with actual success of lowering their cholesterol levels.

I had my bloodwork done last week and I had high cholesterol. My good cholesterol is within normal limits but my bad cholesterol and tryglycerides are way too high. This runs in my family and I am really trying to eat better and exercise regularly so that my next checkup in 6 months is better. I know I can do this!

Any info or input would be great!

Tonya

Replies

• dragynyss
    Options
    My diet intention was for general weight loss, but by following a high protein (lean meat) diet that was low fat and very, very low carb, my borderline cholesterol dropped significanly within 2 months. I'm firmly in the normal range with the bad cholesterol on the low side.

It was quite a shocker to see such a drastic difference in my blood work in such a short amount of time, but it also reinforced that the changes I was making in my diet had a greater positive impact on my body than just what the scale reads.

I keep things very simple in the kitchen and cook almost every night so I know exactly what I'm eating and can track it. Watch out for those transfats - they seem to be the worst for cholesterol.

Good luck!
  • Bretthunt
    Options
    I think the South Beach diet (which I am following) is somewhat designed to lower cholesterol while also losing weight. But, I think it would depend on just how high your numbers are - the South Beach might be ok if you're just a bit over, but if things are severely out of whack you might need more potent action (e.g. drugs and/or supplements). I'll give you my own results just as a single data point, I think a conversation with your doctor would be helpful.

Since Jan 1st - 20 lbs lost
    HDL went from 228 to 215
    LDL from 164 to 138
    HDL from 55 to 51

Also, I increased my cardio exercise pretty substantially during this period.
  • smoffette
    smoffette Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Have you watched the movie "Forks Over Knives"? There are certainly other ways to lower cholesterol, but I think the goal should be total health. The movie is geared for those who want to avoid ALL preventable diseases, not just those of high cholesterol. I'd check it out if you're concerned about upping your chances for positive disease outcomes, of any type.
  • nxcguy
    nxcguy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    my brother inlaw had the same problem, he just stated replacing butter on toast with sepacol i think its called ( odd name for a butter substitute sounds like a drug, tasts ok though. ) I on the other hand got this app lost 20 pounds was eating everything that was suppose to lower my cholesterol. a year later bloodwork done met he doctor and he told me i drop 3 points i kinda lost it for just a second and said W T F ive been eating all this bleep and then regained control. He put me on a staten drug.( I had done a lot of resurch since i balked at him last time he wanted to put me on them. they worked great i still eat well and exersise,but after all the reading up on statens im glad im on them now.
    o my brother in law s cholesterol went down.
    also google this stuff you will get better results.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Good for you for trying to lower it on your own! It think it's great you want to make some healthy changes.

This might not be what you want to hear, but you need to eat as "clean" as possible. Eliminate processed foods, sugar, and add in more whole grains and fiber. Eat the old fashioned, cook on the stove type of oatmeal. Add in some ground flaxseed, a few walnuts and sprinkle on some cinnamon. Take an omega 3 fish oil each day. Skip the processed foods and eat more fresh fruits and veggies. And exercise if you are not already. It does make a difference!:flowerforyou:
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Ooo, me, me, me! I went from a total cholesterol of 238 with insanely high triglycerides, to 208 with HALF the triglycerides, HDL 85 and LDL 97. My secrets? Fish oil/omega-3, niacin, and a diet high in protein and fiber, low in fat (especially saturated fats), and low in starches. Carbs in fruits and vegetables are fine. And stay away from the drivethru! LOL. It makes a huge difference in the triglycerides.
  • mcanavan05
    mcanavan05 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Anyone here lower the counts where its hereditary on a natural diet and working out? I have high cholestoral, measure at 25 then current day (about a year go) still high..270.. i did the GNC heart health packs with the fish oil...60$ for a month..no changes..was watching diet and exercising..dropped weight too.. this is when i was 26-25... still high..

20mg of statin...dropped 70 points..back into normal range..im on 40mg now (doc wants to drive # into cellar).. i want to go to 20mg or 10mg and am working on going from 224.5 to 188 goal this year.
  • easuess
    easuess Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of January my doc told me my cholesterol was high. I don't recall my specific numbers, but she told me to "diet and exercise" and come back in 4 months for more blood work. I've been tracking my cholesterol, and have been coming way under the 300mg per day on most days. If I go back and nothing has changed, odds are that diet isn't the culprit and hereditary factors are playing a bigger role in what's going on. My doc may recommend medication at that point. But the point is that I'd rather fix it myself if I can. Meds are a last resort for me.

Feel free to friend me and take a look at my diary entries. You may gain some insight there. I've found that for myself eggs (yolks) were the highest-cholesterol food I ate on a regular basis. I've cut them back to about once a week (knowing full well that they are still in some of the baked goods I eat.)

At any rate, maybe try examining your food log for things that are high in cholesterol and work to replace them with lower-cholesterol options. Whole grains, lean protein, and fruits and veggies are my staples.
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Ooo, me, me, me! I went from a total cholesterol of 238 with insanely high triglycerides, to 208 with HALF the triglycerides, HDL 85 and LDL 97. My secrets? Fish oil/omega-3, niacin, and a diet high in protein and fiber, low in fat (especially saturated fats), and low in starches. Carbs in fruits and vegetables are fine. And stay away from the drivethru! LOL. It makes a huge difference in the triglycerides.

Thanks for sharing how you got your cholesterol down. And THANKS, Tonya, for asking the question. I will be taking my Blood test on March 1st. I have simply given up processed Sugar on a 30 Sugar Free Challenge, and 5 lbs just MELTED. I am at my goal weight, but now just want to lose body fat. I have given up most carbs...and just getting them added back to my way of eating. I am excited to know the results. "Lizard053"...I HOPE my HDL will be as high as yours...I have NEVER gotten them above 50. My tryglycerides were 400 in April 2011, and 297 in December 11. It came down, but still dangerously high...and that is why I stopped any processed sugar. I have even learned to eat my oatmeal with only blueberries, and not added brown sugar...I am that serious. I take Fish Oil, a Vitamin B Complex, and Calcium and a statin for Cholesterol since I had a heart attack two years ago. I waited too long to know I couldn't do it on my own then. Fortunately, I have had no side effects. I eat a lot of fish, protein in general, veggies, and fruit. I could never stick to this way of eating very long...but...I have two grandchildren now, and want to live a long life to see them grow. We have to have a reason...and they are mine! Love MFP...it is great for tracking and finding like minded friends! THX!

Debbie
  • rugbygirlca
    Options
    Both my 4yr old daughter and I have high cholesterol (genetics, not diet). Mine, I was aware of and have been managing very successfully for years. Hers came up as part of a clinical study in which we are involved. Although we are both very healthy weights and we eat very very well (you should see all the healthy stuff the kid will eat), it is an on-going battle to keep her LDL down.

Some of the little changes that we have made, which have helped to keep hers in check:
    - skim milk
    - increased fruits and veg (particulary those with soluble fibre) -the real stuff, not juice
    - no more than 2 eggs a week (the jury is still out somewhat on eggs, but it is what has been recommended to us by the dietician and doctor)
    - fibre, fibre, fibre
    - oat bran (cheerios, oatmeal, etc)
    - small amounts of nuts such as walnuts or almonds (about 1.5 oz) - more than that is too many calories and too much fat
    - olive oil instead of margarine or butter whenever possible
    - fish at least 2x a week (particularly fatty fish such as trout, salmon)

Our goal for cholesterol each day is less than 200mg for me (and scaled down to 4 yr old portion sizes, it works out to be about 100mg for her). Obviously on a day in which she eats an egg, she'll go over that, but we try to balance it out over the week.

You can track the cholesterol as one of your nutrients. I've added sodium and cholesterol to the things that I track and it has helped me to identify foods in which salt/cholesterol are less obvious.

Our most difficult battle has been educating my husband's side of the family who like to take her out for McDonalds and sneak her treats because they think that we are too strict with her diet. That, however, is a whole other topic.
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Both my 4yr old daughter and I have high cholesterol (genetics, not diet). Mine, I was aware of and have been managing very successfully for years. Hers came up as part of a clinical study in which we are involved. Although we are both very healthy weights and we eat very very well (you should see all the healthy stuff the kid will eat), it is an on-going battle to keep her LDL down.

Our most difficult battle has been educating my husband's side of the family who like to take her out for McDonalds and sneak her treats because they think that we are too strict with her diet. That, however, is a whole other topic.

Your daughter is SOOO FORTUNATE to have you as her Mom!! Soo many parents find out too late, or continue to the same habits, albeit because of lack of education...but nonetheless...diet and health go hand in hand. Thanks for your experience :flowerforyou:
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Have you watched the movie "Forks Over Knives"? There are certainly other ways to lower cholesterol, but I think the goal should be total health. The movie is geared for those who want to avoid ALL preventable diseases, not just those of high cholesterol. I'd check it out if you're concerned about upping your chances for positive disease outcomes, of any type.

Just ordered it after reading this comment! I'm a vegan already, but I need to reduce my processed food, and this movie looks interesting.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have been following a diet to keep cholesterol levels in check for a while now. I'm 50 and all is well so far. Mine never got to the "high" stage because I started working to keep them down early. When I married my husband his were high and they are now under control, as is his BP, which was also high. We eat a low saturated fat, but not low fat (we cook use a lot of olive oil), high fiber, low sugar diet. Lots of plant foods and fish. We concentrate on healthy foods, but splurge occasionally, and do not nitpick percentages of macros.

This is the best healthy eating resource I have found:
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/index.html
  • simplyliving
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies!

High Cholesterol and especially high Triglycerides run high in my family (mom's side). My grandmother died of Hypertriglycerdemai, I have an uncle who is 48 that is struggling with it and his teenage son (my cousin) has this condition as well. It is very possible that many other family members have it and don't know it.

I used to be a die hard runner and was lean, thin, and muscular. Even then I had just borderline high cholesterol. I have gotten a little older now and I don't run marathons anymore. I decided to save my hips and knees as my friends bodies are falling apart. I ran my last long race a couple years ago, and I am surely paying for it. I started school to get a new degree and in the past couple years I put on a considerable amount of weight on. It is certainly my own fault for not continuing an exercise routine and sticking with it.

After my visit with the doctor, I know what I have to do and that is get back into an exercise routine and to eat cleaner. I have started logging my food and taking Fish Oil and Flax Supplements in hopes that over the next 6 months will show much needed improvement in my health. I am very angry at myself for allowing this to happen, but I know what I need to do and now is the time. No more waiting to take my health back into control.

I thank you all for your support, guidance, and responses. I will look into everything you have said. :-)

Cheers,
    Tonya
  • simplyliving
    Options
    For those that are curious, here are my results from the doctor office that I received in the mail on Saturday. The first number is the range the doctor office said it should be in and the second number is my actual results. The only thing the doctor put in her notes to me were: Please follow a clean diet and exercise regimine for 6 months. Recheck in 6 months. May need to consider cholesterol lowering medications. Will discuss after diet and exercise regimine. Very important to find out if your levels can be controlled through better lifestyle choices.

Total Cholesterol 100 - 200
    My results: 264.0 on 02/11/12

HDL Cholesterol 40 - 110
    My results: 56.0 on 02/11/12

LDL Cholesterol 0 - 99
    My results: 173.0 on 02/11/12

Cholesterol Ratio 0.0 - 4.5
    My results: 4.7 on 02/11/12

Triglycerides 0 - 150
    My results: 174.0 on 02/11/12

Glucose 70 - 100
    My results: 77.0 on 02/11/12

My plan is to each and every day take a screen shot of my food and exercise diary and copy into word. I will be taking 6 months worth of entries to her. I think this will benefit me more to keep me on track!
  • autumnsfalling
    autumnsfalling Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm working very hard to improve my cholesterol levels and am so glad that you posted this! I've had my lipid levels tested annually, but didn't do much to change them until this past year when I joined MFP in May. Below I've noted my numbers & dates and then will note what I've done to improve them.

7/08
    total chol - 209
    HDL - 46
    LDL - 149
    ratio - 4.5
    trigs - 72
    notes: I was OK with these findings even though my total cholesterol was a little high and my HDL was lower than I wanted.

7/09
    total chol - 278
    HDL - 44
    LDL - 193
    ratio - 6.3
    trigs - 205
    notes: I was really disappointed in my total cholesterol and LDL levels. I talked to my Dr. and he recommended diet/exercise. However I wasn't ready to really pursue and was in a state of denial.

6/10
    total chol - 200
    HDL - 50
    LDL - 128
    ratio - 4.0
    trigs - 110
    notes: I was happier with these findings and just decided that last year must've been a "fluke". (Not my smartest moment.)

6/11
    total chol - 176
    HDL - 29
    LDL - 116
    ratio - 6.1
    trigs 155
    notes: I had started MFP the month before and had already lost 20lbs. I was looking forward to seeing some great #'s and was really disappointed by my low HDL and high ratio. I realized that in my drive to eat better, I had cut out all of the "good" fats in my diet and was getting little to no exercise.

1/31/12
    total chol - 146
    HDL - 41.3
    ratio - 3.56
    notes: I bought a drug store kit to test these levels. I'm very happy with my total cholesterol, but had hoped that my HDL would be higher.

I've since been researching ways to improve my HDL level and get as 'heart healthy' as possible. In a few months I'll buy another kit (but this time one that tests LDL and trigs too) and see where I am.

Between 6/11 and 1/12 I was just really counting calories and trying to eat healthier. Since 1/12 I've stepped up my cardiovascular exercise. I have 2 tablespoons of ground flax per day (mixed into my yogurt). I'm also taking a multivitamin that has lots of niacin in it. I've increased my lean protein intake (adjusted MFP's nutrient %'s so I'm getting 40% protein, 30% carbs and 30% fats). I use olive oil whenever I need oil, am adding avocados into my salads. I have lots of egg whites, tuna and cheese sticks when I need to snack. Lots of veges in my diet as well as fish and whole grains. I found these chicken burgers at my local Costco (Amylu - very yummy!) that are high in protein and very low in fats/carbs. I also really like the Morningstar sausage patties. I've also been doing lots and lots of reading about ways to improve my cholesterol levels and raising my HDL.

My dad had some scary heart problems this past fall and he's in his early 60's. I want to be around for a very long time. That's my motivation.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    If you used to run, then you might like to give spin classes a try for exercise. We have a lot of runner in the classes at my gym and they say it's the next best thing to running!
    Good luck to you!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Shoot for a healthy balanced lifestyle and this problem may solve itself.
  • simplyliving
    Options
    Congrats on your 63 pounds lost, autumnsfallin! That's terrific! Thanks for sharing your results over time too and the steps you are taking to get it and keep it all under control.
  • simplyliving
    Options
    Thanks! My gym has spin classes and I will check that out!