Any other Brits?

Options
Hi, I live in the US but I am British, and spend lots of time there, so not totally and utterly out of touch! You can tell I've lived in America for thirty years, because the evidence is stuck to my hips. I need to lose about 100 pounds, which is daunting, but I think I can do it with this fantastic app, a fitbit, and Wii Zumba. And lots of luck. :-) Have supportive husband and son.
Especially interested in friending other middle-aged ladies with waaaay too much weight--yes, Americans too! :-)

Replies

• angharkins
    Options
    hi yeah, me and my friends are from Glasgow
  • witchywillow
    witchywillow Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    hiya im in the uk, this app is really worjking for me and who would have thought i would enjoy eating less so much lol, my hubby has now joined me on mfp and we doin it together, add me if want
  • matthewslater
    Options
    Yup, Brit here as well. SW of England and on a mission to loose the weight for good this time :-)
  • jennyferann
    jennyferann Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    I live in the north east of England and am sixty years old. I retired in July last year and have managed to put a stone on in that short time! As I was already overweight anyway, the situation became serious. Today I weighed in and have now lost that stone but I need to loose a lot more. Its so hard, isnt it. Anyway best wishes from over the pond and good luck with the weight loss.:flowerforyou:
  • mcourtney09
    mcourtney09 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I’m British but live in Michigan…although I have been here for 16 years (and I’m now 27). I still have a bit of an accent that likes to pop up every now and again and cause people to stop and say… “Wait a minute…you are foreign?” and then ask where in Australia I’m from…ugh! I’m Welsh…but then many American don’t know where Wales is and I have to explain…maybe I will just try and keep the accent as much under wraps as possible for convenience sakes :)

I can definitely say (and my parents agree) that I started to put weight on at a rapid rate upon moving to the US. So many more food choices and so much more sugar! I can still remember the first time I went to the grocery store and saw the cereal aisle…it blew me away at the amount of choices! I also found out that not only are there more types of cereal to choose from but that Kellogs and many other brands have different recipes for products sold in the UK and those sold in the US. They actually add sugar to suit the American taste…appalling! The cereal will look the same and is under the same name but has 25% more sugar. My dad likes to compare the tins of Heinz spaghetti bought in the British shop to the Chef Boyardee brand and says that he will ONLY eat the Heinz because it is much better for you.

I am here to lose weight again and hopefully for good. I’ve been up and down between a 12 and an 18 my entire adult life and I am sick of the roller coaster ride. I am finally going to lose the fad diets and do the old fashioned fewer calories in and more exercise! :) And try to lose my love of all things chocolate…eeek!

How are things going so far?
  • nullisecunda
    Options
    Hi all,
    I have just discovered this fab website. Now, I'm totally motivated when it comes to my diet. However, I'm lacking in exercise motivation. Few years ago I broke my back, and despite the fact that the bones healed, I still suffer from sciatica and lower back pain. But I've decided (at last!), that it's not going to rule my life any more. So, here I am, looking for positive people that would like to buddy up and do some gentle sport activities, even if it's just a walk around the block or a park. I live in Conlbrook, Berkshire, UK. So, let me know if you're up for it. We can motivate and help each other. Whatever's your age, sex or weight :). If you want to shed these pounds and have some fun at the same time, then shout :D!

(not exactly Brit, but live in the UK)
  • Anet47
    Anet47 Posts: 24
    Options
    ...and I'm originally from Dundee! Grew up in southern England, but please don't hold it against me... :-)
  • Anet47
    Anet47 Posts: 24
    Options
    Just started, so I hesitate to say, but I have been very good for an entire week, which must be a first!