Need Someone Who is Creative to Help Me....

Options
So here is my problem. I am doing the P90X program and am on week 6 so I really dont want to stop the program now. However I use the equipment provided to me in the small fitness room of my apartment complex, which has just been closed for repair. (I got there this morning and it had a huge sign on the door...so much for letting us know before hand!)

So I do the lean program and i figured I would replace the weights by using cans...not that hard. However what about the pull ups....does anyone know any exercises that would work the same muscle groups? Please not that I do not own a pull up bar or bands (poor college student here).

Thanks for any help at all!

Replies

• vmwmvb
    vmwmvb Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    No one has any ideas?
  • peacek
    peacek Posts: 211
    Options
  • stuey39
    stuey39 Posts: 159
    Options
    Try lying underneath a dinner table grip the top and pull yourself up, a bit like a reverse push-up if you like
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Do you have any access to fitness facilities ay your school? Many colleges have gyms and pools which are available to the students.
  • _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Try this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu3h6Ai9O0Q

using the dining table, if you have one
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    To work upper back:

To perform upright rows, hold a barbell with a narrow overhand grip and let it hang in front of you. Then lift the bar and get it as close as possible to your chin by using your arms and elevating your shoulders to squeeze your trapezius muscles. Lower the bar under controlled motion until back to the starting position.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises!!! A LOT of what I do doesn't involve a gym at all, and I've been pretty successful.

Lunges
    Planks
    Wall sits
    Inch worms
    Hip lifts
    Pushups
    Box jumps
    Lateral walks with resistance bands
    Ball hip lifts
    Jump rope
    Mountain climbers
    Burpees ( squat thrusts)

Just because you can't get to a gym doesn't mean you can't be successful.
  • TheMerryPup
    TheMerryPup Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If you're using cans for weights you can do bent over rows. Hinge at the hips with your back straight and head looking at a spot on the floor slightly in front of you and bring the weights, (cans), up to your rib cage while squeezing the shoulders together. Repeat for however many reps you want.

Also, try putting a broom stick across the backs of two chairs, (test it to make sure it'll hold), and you can do what's called reverse pushups. That works nearly the same muscles as a regular pullup does. You can vary the resistance by where you put your legs. Straight out = harder. Bent-knees = easier.

Good luck.
  • MickiTodd
    Options
    I'm doing Zumba and there is a step in the program called the DIamond Step which, works the lats really good as well as the waist. and core You are using your body weight plus the momentum of the move to work it. It may work in a pinch until the gym opens up again and you can do it in your apartment. Here's how: stand with feet wide, arms above your head in a "diamond" shape (elbows slightly bent). You lean to the right, then over to the left then back to the right double. Then you'll lean single to the left, single right and double to the left. The faster you do this, the more it works your upper body (lats, core, waist). So it will be, single, single, double right, single, single, double left. Here's a link to a YouTube video showing how to do it: http://www.google.com/search?q=Zumba+Diamond+Step&hl=en&sa=X&gbv=2&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=vid&tbo=u&ei=f1s5T5nfLeiB0QGplu24Ag&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CB0QqwQwAg.

Good luck!
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    Options
    Get some exercise bands or tubes. The P90X videos have modifications using these and they are SUPER cheap (like a couple dollars).