Eating healthy/exercising a lot and not losing weight at all

Options
Okay, I'm 21 years old...so It really shouldn't be super hard for me to lose weight. I started this January 1st. I've restricted my calories, I've been exercising vigorously and no weight lose. I was doing 5 miles almost every single day, along with strength training, now I've started doing cardio for the same amount of time as when I was doing 5 miles, but I've turned up the resistance, and slowed down because I realized it made me burn even more calories.

So as you can see, I'm doing everything right! I'm eating super healthy, the only other liquid I drink besides water (Which I drink a ton of) Is soymilk (only 40 calories a serving) that I eat in cereal (Healthy gluten free cereal, only 90 calories a serving and 5grams of sugar) I'm eating fruits and vegetables and non-fat cottage cheese, the only meats I'm eating is tuna...I'm so confused as to why I'm not losing weight. Sure every now and then I'll have some pizza, or a sweet...but it's completely in moderation, and I"ll adjust that into my calorie intake for the day. So any advice...I'd love it. Please and Thank you :happy:

Forgot to add, I am eating 1,500 calories a day..give or take.

Replies

• sarahenagy
    sarahenagy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? I know that there is great debate here about "starvation mode," but I have found that, for me at least, if I am not eating enough to support my level of activity (more than about a 500-700 calorie deficit) then the scale won't budge. BTW I am 27.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? One of the biggest flaws people make is cutting too far back on calories. With as much as you exercise, this could definitely be the problem. Try eating more each day and see how it goes.
  • nullisecunda
    Options
    Hi there,
    It does seem like you're doing all the right things. Please, remember that when you exercise, you build your muscles that weigh more than fat. So, it's possible to get leaner without losing weight, at the beginning. Have you checked your measurements? You might be in for a nice surprise :). Let us know :)
  • 2009nlt
    Options
    Sorry, I should have added, I eat 1,500 calories a day. Which too me seems like a lot. But I am very active.
  • wittaniemc
    Options
    I am 23 I am having trouble loosing as well. I gave birth 2 months ago (my 4th in 5 years) and have started a rigorous exersize routine and I have dramatically changed my diet. I didn't gain any weight during my pregnancy so 6 weeks post pardum I was down 30 lbs, I have yet to loose any more weight. My clothes are looser, but the scale hasn't budged :( Very discouraging. I even took before pics two weeks ago and took pics today to compare, I don't see much of a difference.
  • nullisecunda
    Options
    Are you eating enough? One of the biggest flaws people make is cutting too far back on calories. With as much as you exercise, this could definitely be the problem. Try eating more each day and see how it goes.
    Lizard, agree. When you eat less calories than you're ought to, your body goes into 'saving mode'. It uses the very maximum of the nutrition, together with calories, from your meals. It thinks: 'well, I don't know when am I going to get more or enough, so I'll use as much as possible now and store it for later'. In result, you don't lose weight...bad bad brain, thinking too much :).
  • 2009nlt
    Options
    Lizard, agree. When you eat less calories than you're ought to, your body goes into 'saving mode'. It uses the very maximum of the nutrition, together with calories, from your meals. It thinks: 'well, I don't know when am I going to get more or enough, so I'll use as much as possible now and store it for later'. In result, you don't lose weight...bad bad brain, thinking too much :).
    I eat 1500 calories a day...give a take a few.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Are you eating at least 1200 calories NET?

NET calories means you eat 1200 calories PLUS addtional food to "cover" your exercise calories. You will want to eat these calories, because you cannot build muscle (or even hang on to it) if you don't eat enough. Think of this as fuel for your workouts.

Muscle does not "weigh" more than fat, but it is more compact than fat. What the previous poster meant to say, you could be gaining muscle (if you're eating enough) and losing fat. Weight "loss" cancelled out so to speak. If that is the case, measurements are really good indicators that you are moving in the right direction.
  • nullisecunda
    Options
    Are you eating at least 1200 calories NET?

NET calories means you eat 1200 calories PLUS addtional food to "cover" your exercise calories. You will want to eat these calories, because you cannot build muscle (or even hang on to it) if you don't eat enough. Think of this as fuel for your workouts.

Muscle does not "weigh" more than fat, but it is more compact than fat. What the previous poster meant to say, you could be gaining muscle (if you're eating enough) and losing fat. Weight "loss" cancelled out so to speak. If that is the case, measurements are really good indicators that you are moving in the right direction.

Tea Bea, thanks for pointing the muscle=fat weight ratio. I didn't express myself properly. You're absolutely right :)
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    beleive ot or not, you might not be eating enough. I had that problem in JULY and I went to see a nutritionalist.She said I wasn't eating enough calories, I made changes to increase caloric intake and within a month I dropped 8 lbs.I also was a gym rat and it was frustrating as all hell. Good luck.