Options

Replies

• loraloha74
    Options
    16lbs is awesome WTG!
  • easuess
    easuess Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Like others have suggested -- I think that the same old clothes might be the culprit. You'll look noticeably different in clothes made to fit your new body shape. :) In the meantime, be excited about how much progress you've made so far. You're doing a great job!!
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    People who see you everyday won't notice because they see you everyday. It took people who hadn't seen me in a while but they could really tell a difference!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    "Hey! You look like you've lost a ton of weight! You look great!"

"I have cancer."

"Oh shi..."

I think people worry about this kinda thing.

If you are worried about what other people think, and they aren't complimenting you, then they still think you're a fat cow, so that should motivate you even more!

(My point: Don't worry about what other people think.)
  • babybossy
    babybossy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    People's power of observation (or lack of) is interesting. My hubby has struggled with his weight most of his life and sometimes, when he's lost quite a bit of weight, no one notices. Then, all of a sudden, after a period of time, people start noticing. They will notice eventually. Could also be that you are still wearing the previous clothes and it's masking your weight loss. Hang in there and when you get discouraged, remember how much better you feel and that you are no longer carrying around those three 5 pound bags of flour!!! Keep up the good work!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I saw a quote the other day that said it takes 4 weeks for you to see it, your friends and family 8 weeks and the rest of the world 12 weeks...I probably chopped it up a bit, but my husband tells me doesn't see it is because he sees me every day. Its like getting a new pair of glasses, people notice something but cant figure it out, I have heard nice haircut? to is that a new outfit, all because of new glasses.......lol just keep going your doing wonderful.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    If people see you everyday it's hard to notice. I bet if you went and bought new clothes some people might notice. I'm still wearing clothing that's too big for me but when I put something that fits on I can tell a difference when I couldn't before. In the past when I lost weight it took about 20 pounds before people began commenting. Congrats on your loss so far and don't get discouraged.

well said!!!! Congrats on your weight loss so far. Keep up the good work!
  • alohabrie
    Options
    I lost 40+ pounds before people started noticing. Now there are lots of comments. Keep it up and make sure you are enjoying the positive changes - people will see it too.
  • plumnbagel
    plumnbagel Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm about where you are at 16 pounds lost, and I think people notice the difference but may not want to say anything. Part of it is that most of the people I come in contact with are those I see every day, and gradual changes can elude you (think of the old story about the frog in the pot that doesn't notice the water slowly heating to boiling).
    But more than that, complimenting someone on their weight feels a lot more intimate than, say, complimenting someone on their appearance. I read someone on here who got lots of compliments and wondered, "Wow, did everyone think I was that bad before?" lol
    I would say at 16 pounds people are definitely starting to take notice. I bet they'll be unable to hold back their "OMGs" before you know it!
  • MissYogapants
    MissYogapants Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    A year ago I was 26 pounds heavier than I am now. And I have the same problem as you, that nobody says anything or seem to notice. I'm thinking maybe people are afraid to ask if you've lost weight because they're afraid they're wrong, and think that if they ask if you've lost weight when it turns out that your uninterested in losing weight it might seem like criticism from their side that you need to lose weight.
    Haha, I don't know, after I read that last sentence I wrote it might just be me totally over-thinking it :) It still sucks though, to work your butt off to lose weight and you feel all good about yourself and then nobody notices.
    Or they're just quiet because they're jealous :)
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I didn't have anyone I work with (and see nearly 5 days a week) notice until I'd lost over 40 pounds. Then I had someone ask me if I was sick, I'd lost around 50 since I'd see them last, or since they noticed. Stick with it, your're doing it for you, not them. :happy:
  • Ambamm77
    Options
    They may not have noticed yet or may be hesitant to say something. Weight talk makes people uncomfortable. I had a conversation at work a couple of weeks ago where several men stated they would never say anything about women when they've lost weight or changed something. They're afraid it would offend them. Like "what was I fat before" or "you didn't like my hair before." I assured them that isn't typically the case and it always makes a person feel good when you notice a positive change or that they went out of their way to fix themselves up. If a woman takes the time to do something like wear jewelry, fix their hair or lose weight they want it to be recognized. YOu can be doing this for yourself but positive reinforcement is always a great motivator and the encouragement is priceless.
  • jsflare
    Options
    16621239.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ninelives58
    ninelives58 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    People do notice even though they don't say anything. I started MFP in July 2011, I'm 33 lb down and finally a guy in the office said to me "OK, I gotta know, how come you're getting so little?" which made it sound like he'd noticed awhile back but but didn't want to be inappropriate or awkward by bringing up the topic of my weight.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I think it'll make a difference when you get and are wearing new, smaller clothes. People look bigger than they are when their clothes are too big.... think of it like a paper bag. A paper bag looks the same size whether it's full to the brim or only has a few little items in it. :wink:
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Give it time. It may be a lot of different reasons why they won't broach the topic. For me, I have been yoyoing for the past few years, so I haven't given anyone a reason to make special note of it. Just keep doing this for you. It won't be long before the new you, in new clothes, will get noticed.

This!!!! Stick with it and remember your doing this for you. Everyone will come around eventually
  • IrishMinx32
    IrishMinx32 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Your NOT being dumb. Sometimes people are just ignorant or envious. Keep it up! Dont let NOOOO ONEEEEE discourage u. And remember it's for u, not them. :)
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    first, 16 lbs is awesome and you are doing great!!! don't get discouraged! depending on how heavy you are 16 lbs may or may not be a big deal. people really did not start to notice i was losing until i hit around 50 lbs!! but that's because i started huge and need to lose more to make a bigger impact. i find when you are smaller it is much more obvious when someone gains or loses only 10 lbs.
  • karenann1989
    karenann1989 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think it'll make a difference when you get and are wearing new, smaller clothes. People look bigger than they are when their clothes are too big.... think of it like a paper bag. A paper bag looks the same size whether it's full to the brim or only has a few little items in it. :wink:
    What a great analogy ~ I've never thought of it like this before but it sums it up perfectly. I have also lost 16 pounds so far and it wasn't until the other day that my daughter said I am starting to look skinny in my face and my husband said he noticed it one night when I was bent over the washing machine LOL. Don't get discouraged and keep up the good work.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss thus far! Just keep up the great work and stay committed. You'll start getting the "WOW" and "OMG you've lost so much weight" comments soon.