Help with losing weight and toning at the same time

Options
Hi
I recently started focusing on losing weight last year November 2011 and I joined MFP in January 2012.
I started off at 275lbs and I now weigh 251lbs.
My goal is to get down to 200lbs however I would also like to increase my core strength which should give me some body definition. I'm paying close attention to what I eat on a daily basis.
My question is do I continue to focus on losing weight and then when I get to say 220lbs focus more on muscle strength?
I've read other blogs and I got the impression that I should be doing both but could somone confirm whether that would apply to myself?
I also wanted to say that I travel around 10 to 15 days a month for my work.
Thank You
AB

Replies

• chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    www.bodybuilding.com <---- I am doing one of their 12 week programs... I wouldn't recommend it unless I was seeing results myself.
  • vacherin
    vacherin Posts: 192
    Options
    Hi there - and congrats on your weight loss!

I'm no expert as I've only recently started trying to get healthy, but everything I have seen and read says that you should do strength and cardio if you want to lose weight, as cardio alone is not enough. In fact, a fitness trainer that i know says that, if you must prioritise one over the other, you should prioritise the strength to build muscle; as having more muscle increases your body's fat-guzzling ability, this means that when you start on the cardio you will guzzle fat at a better rate!

That's just what I have heard - maybe others on the site who have lost more weight than me, will be able to advise you better/give more info?

V xxx
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Do both. You may not see the results as quickly as you would if you had lost more weight, but the results will still be there when the fat comes off. You'll lean down as well. For example, I've been lifting pretty heavy for the last 6 weeks, and though I have only lost a couple of pounds, my clothes are getting looser.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Focusing on strength WILL help with weight loss. Higher muscle mass = fast metabolism = more fat burn. I also suggest not watching the scale. Take pictures once a week to help see the difference your hard work is making. Take measurements as well.

The fact of the matter is no matter how much core muscles you have, if fat is on top of them, they will never be seen. You have to focus of FAT LOSS and MUSCLE GAIN in order to achieve the body that you desire. I suggest weight lifting in a circuit training format with cardio bursts intermittent. HIIT is great as well.

I suggest eating lean meats and proteins, limiting starchy carbs and snack on heart healthy fats (nuts, avacado etc). I'm no expert on this but I have done a quite a bit of reading and I have lost 2 on my waist, 2.5 inches on my hips and 1.5 inches on my bust in only a little under 2 months by following this type of plan.
  • andre_Benjamin
    andre_Benjamin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for responding thus far. I'lll try to do both over the next 3 to 6 months to see how I get on.
  • SonicaBE
    SonicaBE Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    do Insanity by beachbody...
  • Ralstonk2
    Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • blind4
    blind4 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Well it depends really if you want you can do both, but i would recommend if your goal is to be 200, focus on your weight training when your 220 to 230lbs , for me i was 175, right now i am 163lbs, but i am going to start to go to the gym (weight training) when i am like 149lbs , my goal is 140lbs, i will do it that way because i don't want the fat that i have now turn to muscle mass, because then it's going to be harder to loose the weight