When Friends don't eat healthy

Options

Replies

• i eat with my coworkers all the time..im the only one who ever has a healthy meal on me . some of my family eats healthy and the other half doesnt..none of my friends are health fanatics....ive grown accustomed to it.. i came to realize that i have to worry about me.. usually when i go to a friends house i bring my own food or i plan to eat what they have .. sometimes i just watch what i eat when im at someones house and use it as a indulgant day

I love this comment, because my friends eat like crap and then complain about how bad they feel. And when I don't complain because i put good food in my body, then I'm singled out as being weird and unamerican (which is my favorite by the way, I'm not a bad eater so i might as well not be from this country, well that's fine with me) and I start to feel like i should eat the junk so I fit in.

I used to let this bother me to no end, but now I just eat how I want and lose weight and feel great and let them wallow in self pity until the ask me why i feel so good and look so good and then I let them have it. LOL. Unfortunately no one has asked me anything yet.
  • kriskaryl
    kriskaryl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I work with a wonderful friend who thinks food = love. She had gastric bypass 2 1/2 years ago. I had mine July 2011. I am sticking to a healthy, clean eating plan high in protein. She has gotten off track, gained weight, and is now attending Weight Watchers. I see M&M's by her desk, a bowl full of chocolate mini candy bars, and she brings in cakes, donuts, and other goodies. I won't eat any of it. Sugar causes dumping syndrome. But I feel like of all people, she should have more self restaint. All of us have asked her not to bring this stuff in. She just smiles and says "I do it because I love you". Don't love me so much :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have this problem with my husband!!!

Dear hubby, thank you so much for thinking of me when you saw those pizza rolls. Yes, they are my favourite.

Please don't ever buy them again :)

I had this same problem with my husband when we first started living together. He kept bringing home Cheetos (my biggest unhealthy weakness). Finally I told him to cut it out and he asked "Why, I thought you said you loved them." He just looked at me like I was crazy when I answered "I do, that's why I never buy them.". :laugh:
  • Ok so last night my good friend came round for my bday and she's not the healthiest of eaters, so along with the Margaritas she brought chips, guacamole, queso dip, salsa, and several chocolate cakes, it was so thoughtful of her to do this but I really didn't want to eat all that crap, I had some chips with guacamole and salsa and said "ok no more chips for me" I could tell she got upset and I almost felt guilty like I should eat all this **** even though I didn't want to, I even bought light margarita mix for myself, and when I asked her to use it I could tell that upset her with her comments. The cakes sat there all night until she finally ate one, I really didn't want one, I honestly didn't want it so I said I would eat some tomorrow. When I got up this morning I noticed she took all the cakes with her, I feel bad but should I? would you?

You could have gone without saying the part that I bolded...you only drew attention to the fact that you weren't eating what she brought needlessly. She probably wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it. That's what I would've done.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    DO NOT FEEL BAD. Something I learned over the course of losing a crapload of weight is that people are going to use your choice to lead a healthier lifestyle as a weird emotional mirror to their own issues. There is nothing you can do about it, really -- and you shouldn't have to change what you REALLY want to do to take care of yourself to please someone else.

Your real friends will understand :) Some may not, but they will also learn, if you are polite but firm, not to even bother offering you that stuff any more. I have a good friend who eats TERRIBLY, and I just find other ways to get together with her that don't involve food or drink.

Good luck!! It's so awesome that you are sticking to making choices in your own best interest. xx
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Friends should respect what you're doing. Only thing I could recommend is letting it be known before hand. I could see how she could be upset, probably not upset you're eating healthy rather she went through the trouble of prep and realized afterwards it isn't what you wanted.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, and yes she knows I eat healthy so she shouldn't have brought all that food round, just because its your birthday doesn't mean "oh ok lets eat crap"
    She knows you eat healthy - that's the key. If someone didn't know, I "might" feel bad turning down the goodies, but when someone knows you're working out, eating better, etc. then I would not feel bad at all!
    I agree with this. She should have known better. And kudos to you for resisting the temptation!

But, with that said, I don't know this person, and she may just be the ditzy type who forgets things like this, or she may have thought you'd make an exception for your birthday. If you value her friendship, you might want to make an effort to talk to her & tell her how much you enjoyed hanging out with her on your birthday and how glad you are that she came over to celebrate with you. Not mentioning the food at all, but the fact that she thought of you, because that's the important thing, right?
  • dorairwin
    Options
    You shouldn't feel bad at all
  • johnny_19
    johnny_19 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't feel bad! Your friend should respect your diet. Keep on doing your thing! :)
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Honestly --- she's probably feeling a little guilty herself. I find that when I am around people who are eating a ton of crap and I choose not to eat it, it makes them feel bad for eating it because they already KNOW it's bad for them. I mean it is no secret most of what we snack on isn't very healthy. I know that when I first started eating healthy it made my partner feel VERY bad about what she ate. It's been about 6 months and she's starting to actually change what she eats because she felt so bad about it. She started picking up some of my habits, like looking at labels and eating things in portions.

At work my co-workers went from giving me a lot of crap to just understanding that I am not at a place where I am to put bad things into my body. BUT they still include me just in case I want to. AND they appreciate when I tell them about healthy options such as quinoa and spaghetti squash. AND they like to share their things they have heard or read (which are generally not very true anyway). BUT when they are being healthy they feel like they have someone they can come and talk to about it.

If it's something new for you or your friend isn't used to eating around you when you are eating healthy especially for special occasions-- just give her time. It's a life change that she also will adapt to. Maybe you could talk to her about it? I would. I would probably tell her you felt like maybe she was upset that you didn't eat a lot of the food. Explain that it's those foods that made you feel the need to correct your nutritional choices. That you were more than thankful she thought about you, but that you were making a whole lifestyle change. It wasn't just a diet. It was changing how you eat for life. That you'd love to talk to her though and try and come up with some great snacks that you both could enjoy together the next time you hang out so that no one feels upset or uncomfortable.

:) Good luck!
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I work with a wonderful friend who thinks food = love. She had gastric bypass 2 1/2 years ago. I had mine July 2011. I am sticking to a healthy, clean eating plan high in protein. She has gotten off track, gained weight, and is now attending Weight Watchers. I see M&M's by her desk, a bowl full of chocolate mini candy bars, and she brings in cakes, donuts, and other goodies. I won't eat any of it. Sugar causes dumping syndrome. But I feel like of all people, she should have more self restaint. All of us have asked her not to bring this stuff in. She just smiles and says "I do it because I love you". Don't love me so much :)

That's not love :-/
  • MoLove2025
    MoLove2025 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    you really have to watch out for people that are not trying to live healthy life styles they have a way of getting you off track if its intentional or not. My ex-boyfriend used to get off work kinda late and we would eat out all the time....needless to say i gained some weight that i had lost back even though i kept persisting that i cant continue to eat so late in the evening.

Now i have learned to just say no. My current boyfriend is supportive but a bit skeptical if i will stick with my journey. So when he has something i dont want like a beer he doesnt ask if i want any cause he already knows and i also have to resist myself.

I've even learned to help my friends by getting them to avoid some of the unhealthy foods they may see when we are out....like at the mall they have this cookie spot thats hard to avoid but i managed to get her mind off of the cookie by purposely walking around in the other direction.

The most important thing is your health so dont ever feel bad about that.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad. You gotta do what's best for you and if you had enough then so be it. I would chat with her and try and smooth things over so she's not offended but only if you want to.

Fortunately I haven't had to deal with this. Everyone has been extremely supportive and accepting of my choices. I had a co-worker who didn't know I was eating healthier hand me a chocolate bar the other day and another co-worker beside him grabbed it and said, "No, she's eating healthy these days!" It was too funny and we all had a little chuckle, lol.
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Multiple cakes? That confuses me. Now if she made you a from scratch cake from the best ingredients and you wouldn't eat it, then I could see her getting a little testy. Or that she made the guac herself. Or stopped special at that little Mexican place that makes their chips by hand and brought them hot from the oven.

But she ran to the store and bought a whole bunch processed food and was mad that you didn't chow down with her?

I think folks should not expect to get "Wow, thanks" for buying processed junk foods. She may thought she was buying it for you but her reaction makes me think she was buying it for herself and was just happy to share it with you to syndicate responsibility. (You see I had to eat it because it was HER birthday, doncha know.)
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Dont feel bad..she should be supportive... my bff came over Friday and I asked her to stop at 7 eleven and pick up some sodas for her and some other friends coming over. She also brought me a box full of donuts! I told her thanks but I couldnt eat it and she took the box later on that night with the leftovers. No big deal :)
  • xandra
    xandra Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Most of my friend are naturaly thin and they don't eat very healthy foods. If I know I'm going out on the wknd I will bank my calories during the wk so that I can indulge a little on the weekend . I also do an extra hour at the gym to make up for the extra calories. I hope this helps.
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    Feel bad for HER. For yourself, be proud. :)
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    It takes a while for your friends to catch on to your new eating habits. Mine still tease me as I rarely eat at restaurants any more - and when I do I order a burger with no buns! - but they now understand it is who I am. Give it time and don't change your new healthier habit. Let them eat what they want and you eat what you want.
  • Cgrrrl
    Options
    I think it's normal to feel a little badly that her feelings were hurt. But it's a two-way street: if she knows you work out, then she should check with you if you'll share in a Cheat Day. If she assumed, then, well, you know what they say about assuming! She shouldn't be upset that you didn't eat it. Your friend likely had good intentions but should consider why her feelings were hurt. There is nothing wrong with turning down something that isn't going to benefit you, i.e. junk food or a really poor choice by your friends on a blind date option!
    It's great that you wanted to share your light margarita mix with her! She had two options: pout, or join in! Hopefully she will grow accustomed to your healthier choices and maybe even, with a bit of encouragement, your healthy behaviours will start to rub off and she will join you! :)
  • JustLena75
    Options
    You refer to her as a 'good' friend...a good friend would have already KNOWN what you were trying to accomplish!