Obese and Pregnant

Options
I am roughly 8 weeks pregnant and weight 210. Between the morning sickness and cravings, I can't seem to eat healthy at all!! I don't want to gain a lot of weight, I know I have to gain some. But, I set my calorie intake to lose one lb a week and it gave me 1650 calories a day. I work out a lot, usually. Some days I can't seem to find my energy. I got cleared to keep running and working out cuz this will be my third pregnancy and I have never had any issues. I guess what I am saying is this, I need ideas for healthy "comfort" foods that will not give me a ton of calories but will satisfy my cravings. And, has anyone actually ever lost weight when they were pregnant? I have heard of it happening to very obese women but I would love to hear someone elses story. I am thinking I just need someone to kick me back on track. Thanks a head of time for any advice.

Replies

• cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    IMO, you should speak to your OB about what the best course of action is during your pregnancy for weight gain.
  • SamMorBelsmom
    SamMorBelsmom Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I really don't need any "you should talk to your doctor." comments. I have and she told me to keep doing what I have been. The question that I had, if you read correctly, was ideas for healthy "comfort" foods. My cravings are getting away from me and I wanted ideas on things to cook to feel like I am satisfied but still in my calorie goal.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Exactly what are you craving?
  • SamMorBelsmom
    SamMorBelsmom Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    salty foods like mashed potatoes, chips, popcorn, mac n cheese, spanish olives, pickles, pretzles. But then the next day I was fruit, ice cream, chocolate, cereal, and candy. Its just all so over whelming.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I really don't need any "you should talk to your doctor." comments. I have and she told me to keep doing what I have been. The question that I had, if you read correctly, was ideas for healthy "comfort" foods. My cravings are getting away from me and I wanted ideas on things to cook to feel like I am satisfied but still in my calorie goal.

I wouldn't restrict calories from a growing baby, but if it's junk you're trying to stay away from just try to think of a healthier version of what you're craving.
    Sugar=fruit
    Ice cream = yogurt
    crunchy = nuts
    dip = vegetables with dip
    etc
  • kendie_mac
    kendie_mac Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    For mashed potatoes, I steam a head of cauliflower & then use a hand masher to mix w/ 1 baked potato, salt, pepper, & just 1-2 T butter. It's really yummy & once you're more used to it, I've found it easier to wean out that 1 potato. It's still a lot lower calorie than all potato, more milk, more butter.
  • SnakeDarling
    SnakeDarling Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    For when you're going through your salty bouts, maybe you should try kale chips?
  • crystallayne
    crystallayne Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have heard of larger people loosing weight while pregnant because they know they need to eat better for the health of their child. I would look at these for some lower calorie options. Betty crocker instant mashed potatoes- 80 calories per serving, lean cuisine mac and cheese or you can boil your own pasta and add skinny cow cheese. I would go for the skinny cow ice cream or weight watchers ice cream. I think it is fantastic you are keeping on with your goals, the risks with being over weight and pregnant are many. Good Luck! Oh P.S. walden farms has many zero calorie options peanut butter, chocolate syrup and the like. I don't know if you have a Kroger near you but they sell this product there.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    salty foods like mashed potatoes, chips, popcorn, mac n cheese, spanish olives, pickles, pretzles. But then the next day I was fruit, ice cream, chocolate, cereal, and candy. Its just all so over whelming.

So...as suggested, find alternatives, for example, a sweet potato, baked, with greek yogurt and cinnamon (instead of mashed potato). Or Kale chips, instead of potato chips. Or make your own health air-popped popcorn. Or for mac & cheese, make some pasta and then add some grated cheddar on top instead of doing a box. And so forth...For ice cream, try frozen banana mixed with stuff (strawberries, cocoa powder, peanut butter...), for chocolate just eat dark, and eat it in smaller amounts.

It's a rough time in general with emotions and hormones so it's easier to just eat than try and avoid. By making substitutions such as those above, you can still eat but it'll be better for you.
  • Jennifer0878
    Jennifer0878 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I really tasty salty snack is Snapea Crisps by Calbee. They are peas that have somehow been baked (I think) and they come out light and crispy and taste like little potato chips. I know they sound gross, but seriously look for them at your grocery store. My kids are the world's pickiest eaters and they LOVE THEM. I eat them all the time when I want a salty/crunchy snack. Hang in there and I hope the nausea passes quickly for you!
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    All of the above substitutes are great!! I also sautee spaghetti squash and use that for the noodles, kale chips for sure. When I wanted something sweet I would do a square of dark chocolate with a little natural peanut butter. Then once a week I had some ice cream. I love greek yogurt with real strawberries.

I started my last pregnancy at 225lbs, needing to still get off 50lbs from the first pregnancy 11 months earlier (I gained 90 lbs with my first). I continued working out, running, classes & yoga and my weight went up 7 lbs in the first trimester and then the day before I had my daughter I was 225lbs. She is a wonderfully healthy baby, I bounced back in no time. I have to say it was wonderful to have none of my pre pregnancy clothes fit because they were too big. I ABSOLUTELY did not set out to not gain weight. I just ate very, very healthy. I ate when I was hungry, and probably ate at least 2000 cals a day. I was also chasing after a 1 year old as well as all the working out. I stay home, so there was not much sitting like when I was pregnant with my first and working. I didn't even know that I was the same weight until my Dr said something when I was about 7 months pregnant. I always turned around so I couldn't see the scale when the nurse weighed me. I always told him about my workouts and said I just wasn't going to worry about the weight gain, but I'm eating pretty darn heathly. he looks at my chart and goes "You have gained nothing! But the baby is growing great!" That is when he had me start tracking to make sure I was eating enough, which I was.

Good luck!
  • cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Editing to say nothing
  • emmaruns
    emmaruns Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Turkey Shephards Pie

1.25 pounds 99% ff ground turkey
    3 stalks celery, chopped
    1 cup baby carrots, chopped
    1 small onion, chopped
    3 large potatoes, cut into 1" cubes
    2 tbs fresh thyme
    1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
    1 cup low sodium chicken broth
    1 tbs (ish) flour

Preheat oven to 350
    Cover potatoes with cold water, bring to boil. Boil about 5-10 minutes, until soft
    While potatoes cook, spray a skillet with Pam Spray, add veggies
    Cook until soft, about 5 minutes
    Add turkey, cook through
    Add thyme, chicken broth and flour, salt and pepper to taste
    Transfer turkey mixture to a rectangle (don't recall meaurements) shaped casserole
    Add sour cream, salt and pepper to the potatoes
    Beat till creamy
    Top turkey mixture with potatoes
    Cover with foil, bake at 350 for 30 minutes

This makes 6 VERY nice sized servings for 280 calories per. One of my fave comfort foods and the lowfat sour cream really makes the potatoes creamy. If they are still a bit dry, add a smidge of milk.

Congrats!