Target HR

Options
I know I saw a post on here about target heart rate...but God knows I can't find it now, smh.

What I read was that you should keep your heart rate up as high as you can stand it for as long as you can stand it...in a nutshell

I don't use a HRM but the tredmill that I run on has a monitor on the hand rail...so out of curiosity I checked my HR, well I started at a normal rate around 80 (after lightly walking for 10 min), once jogging it raised to 150-180, and once I really start to run it goes over 200 (the tredmill doesn't register over 200) and it stays over 200 for the rest of my run...15-20 min...if I start to feel nausiated I slow down for a bit, but generally I feel good.

Just curious what you all have to say about this, since I am a newb when it comes to following my HR :)

Thanks for listening

Replies

• ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    What I read was that you should keep your heart rate up as high as you can stand it for as long as you can stand it...in a nutshell
    I can't imagine a reason why someone would give that sort of advice. Running like that, consistently, is an excellent way to get injured and turned off of exercise.

If you want to start running, you might drop in to the running thread in the "Other" section or log in to runnersworld.com
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine a reason why someone would give that sort of advice. Running like that, consistently, is an excellent way to get injured and turned off of exercise.

If you want to start running, you might drop in to the running thread in the "Other" section or log in to runnersworld.com

Agreed... That's for anaerobic training and you can't sustain that for very long anyway when done properly.
  • gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I read this from a Jillian Michael's newsletter:

Get Your Heart Rate on Target

Q: When I'm doing cardio, my target heart rate is supposed to be at 85 percent. How do I know what that is, and how do I measure it during my workout?

A: To determine your target heart rate, you should first figure out your maximum heart rate (MHR). This is done by subtracting your age from 220. For example, I'm 36, so check it out: 220 – 36 = 184 (so now I know my MHR is 184). Then I take 85 percent of 184, which gives me 156, so that's my target heart rate — the ideal number of times my heart should beat in one minute when I'm training.

The easiest way to keep track of your heart rate is by wearing a heart rate monitor. If you don't want to spring for one, no problem — just find your pulse, either on your wrist or on your neck (usually right next to your larynx), count the number of times your heart beats in 6 seconds, and then multiply that number by 10.

That said, it's pretty tough to keep your heart rate at 85 percent, so don't be discouraged if you can't at first. Work your way up to it. There will also be times when your heart rate will reach 100 percent of your MHR — if this happens, don't worry. It's not unhealthy, it's just VERY difficult to sustain over 45 to 60 minutes of cardio — which is why 85 percent is the magic number for cardio training.

One footnote before you start doing all the math: If you're on medication for a heart condition, talk to your doctor. Your healthy heart rate range might be a little different than you'd expect.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    As ATT said, that is exactly the wrong way to train for running. You need to build the aerobic system first and running at that intensity isn't doing it.

On the other hand, if you are just trying to burn calories you will burn a lot that way. Although you will not burn as many in the long term as you would if you build a solid aerobic system and trained yourself to run at a fast pace for a long time.
  • Rachel122810
    Rachel122810 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Q: When I'm doing cardio, my target heart rate is supposed to be at 85 percent. How do I know what that is, and how do I measure it during my workout?

A: To determine your target heart rate, you should first figure out your maximum heart rate (MHR). This is done by subtracting your age from 220. For example, I'm 36, so check it out: 220 – 36 = 184 (so now I know my MHR is 184). Then I take 85 percent of 184, which gives me 156, so that's my target heart rate — the ideal number of times my heart should beat in one minute when I'm training.

The easiest way to keep track of your heart rate is by wearing a heart rate monitor. If you don't want to spring for one, no problem — just find your pulse, either on your wrist or on your neck (usually right next to your larynx), count the number of times your heart beats in 6 seconds, and then multiply that number by 10.

That said, it's pretty tough to keep your heart rate at 85 percent, so don't be discouraged if you can't at first. Work your way up to it. There will also be times when your heart rate will reach 100 percent of your MHR — if this happens, don't worry. It's not unhealthy, it's just VERY difficult to sustain over 45 to 60 minutes of cardio — which is why 85 percent is the magic number for cardio training.

One footnote before you start doing all the math: If you're on medication for a heart condition, talk to your doctor. Your healthy heart rate range might be a little different than you'd expect.

Thank you for posting this. I was not sure about what heart rate should be at either.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    That's a highly inaccurate approach to estimating max HR.

I'm 55 so my max HR, according to that formula, is 165. How silly.

I regularly run in the 60's and have run in the 80's, with a max of 189, in the past few weeks so, even for something couched as an "estimate", that formula is way off.

Try this link at Runner's World:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-238-244--12395-0,00.html

Also, since this is a thread on running, I'll recommend reading books on running. I've only read a few but one that comes to mind is "Marathoning for Mortals" (could be "Mere Mortals" in which the author describes that you should warm up, run for about a mile, then run faster and faster until you're gasping for air and ready to collapse. Once you get to that point, you're at max HR. They do a much better job describing it than I do, though!

http://www.amazon.com/Marathoning-Mortals-John-Bingham/dp/1579547826

Only 25¢ used!
  • RAFValentina
    Options

Thank you for posting this. I was not sure about what heart rate should be at either.

The MHR calc used above is wildly inaccurate and outdated. Look online for brianmac.com for much more recent formulae suited to your lifestyle, gender, age and which activity you are engaging in.
  • RAFValentina
    Options

I regularly run in the 60's and have run in the 80's, with a max of 189, in the past few weeks so, even for something couched as an "estimate", that formula is way off.

Also, since this is a thread on running, I'll recommend reading books on running. I've only read a few but one that comes to mind is "Marathoning for Mortals" (could be "Mere Mortals" in which the author describes that you should warm up, run for about a mile, then run faster and faster until you're gasping for air and ready to collapse. Once you get to that point, you're at max HR. They do a much better job describing it than I do, though!

Only 25¢ used!

Doug, we are SOOO on the same wavelength! I just posted similar!
  • endlessrunningh2o
    Options
    Brian Mac's theory is not that different than Phil Maffetone's. I utilize the Maffetone Method when I'm spinning on my bike with a track stand. His theory is to work in a zone that burns fat and makes your body work more efficiently. Having trained with an HRM (for the better part of 25 years) at the upper training levels, I can say the Maffetone Method is much harder. It may be because I am having to train my body to work at a slower, longer & more consistent level.
  • michellemaeb
    michellemaeb Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Only 25¢ used!

That is exactly what I have been doing, brisk walk/jog for a mile, run hard for about a mile (this is where my heart rate goes over 200 and again I don't feel bad when this happens) and then a slower run/jog for the last mile
  • michellemaeb
    michellemaeb Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the feedback! Much appreciated