Underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism)

Options
Does any one else have problems losing weight Because of having a under active thyroid? Have you got any tips? As I'm struggling to lose any weight.

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I am hypothyroid. I was able to lose a whole bunch of weight, even untreated. The key is being meticulous, exercise and lots of water. You're tired all the time, but exercise can help you get more energy. You don't metabolize food quickly, so you need to be extra careful about logging everything you eat.
    A diet, that works for most people who have hypothyroidism, is to eat balanced meals, leaning towards more protein, but avoid the starches. They are hardest for us to process. Lots of colorful fruits and vegetables. Lean meats. No fast food. Very little bread, pasta or potato. It's what I do. I feel better not eating starches and have more energy for my workouts.
    Also, try to avoid soy. It messes with thyroid meds. Soy is everywhere, and the only soy that's okay is soy sauce. Being fermented, soy sauce doesn't have the chemicals that mess with the meds.
    Hope this is helpful!
  • kkjay
    kkjay Posts: 62
    Options
    For awhile I had problems losing weight no matter what I did and got so discouraged. Then I found out I had hypothyroidism and was put on meds. Now that I'm on them and it's regulated (which took forever) I'm losing weight, but it was definitely a battle before. I've made lots of changes like cutting out most beverages, I drink mostly water now and haven't touched soda in months. I also cut out fast food except for the occasional relapse. I eat more fruits and vegetables and overall healthier food. I also began working out 5x a week at least and it all seems to be helping so far.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    Options
    For awhile I had problems losing weight no matter what I did and got so discouraged. Then I found out I had hypothyroidism and was put on meds. Now that I'm on them and it's regulated (which took forever) I'm losing weight, but it was definitely a battle before. I've made lots of changes like cutting out most beverages, I drink mostly water now and haven't touched soda in months. I also cut out fast food except for the occasional relapse. I eat more fruits and vegetables and overall healthier food. I also began working out 5x a week at least and it all seems to be helping so far.

This!!!!!
  • 0AmyMarie0
    Options
    Are you on medication? I'm on Armour Thyroid, once I started that, the weight started coming off pretty easily. Also dieting and working out too though, the meds alone wont make you lose weight.
  • Jennicia
    Jennicia Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroid as well. I have a prescription to help regulate it. I've only been with MFP since november and I'm still trying to figure it all out as well. I didnt know that fact about soy. I'm a little lactose intolerant and recently switched to soy milk. YIKES- maybe I need to re-address this. Working out has definately helped me with my energy. It may take longer then "normal" people, u just have to stick to it! GOOD LUCK- feel free to add me! :)
  • ezranch208
    ezranch208 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I also take medicine for this. And at first you need to have your levels checked so make sure you don't miss those appts. I also drink lots of water. I appreciate the advice of the others on cutting back on starches etc. I have lost almost 30lbs and workout 5x a week. I need to lose another 70 so I need to try harder to watch those bad carbs.
    Don't be discouraged. The medicine for hypothyroidism works. However, it is very sensitive. Don't take a multi-vitamin within 4 hours of taking you thyroid med...it won't be absorbed and you will feel even more tired. This happened to me until I did some research and figured it out. Use this site to help there is a lot of support here! You can do it!:flowerforyou:
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    i do, have for years :( interested to hear more ppl's experiences & what works. lost 6lb's the first week, second week still followed this to the letter but went back to eating more rubbish and put on 2lb's 2 days in a row. *sigh*, so brought a couple of books from amazon, "the biggest loser cookbook" giving you a 2 week diet and a book from jillian (although it hasn't arrived yet). planning to start totally turning what i eat around next week :smile:
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I had sub-clinical hypothyroidism due to starvation. I have found that pacing intake to every 2 hours or so has boosted it, and I also started taking a low dose thyroid treatment. It really just depends on whether or not you want to take medication for it. If you truly have hypo, your doctor should have discussed this with you. If you are just assuming that's the problem, that is not a good thing to do because it may be a behavioral problem and if that's the case, no amount of adjusting for the disease will help because that's not the problem.

If your doctor diagnosed you without doing any bloodwork, then find another doctor, or ask to have the assumption confirmed by bloodwork. If you have had it done and they said it was lower but still considered normal, that means you need to up your exercise and eating pattern. Both of these will speed a low but normal metabolism.
  • GymAnJuice
    Options
    I am hypothyroid. I was able to lose a whole bunch of weight, even untreated. The key is being meticulous, exercise and lots of water. You're tired all the time, but exercise can help you get more energy. You don't metabolize food quickly, so you need to be extra careful about logging everything you eat.
    A diet, that works for most people who have hypothyroidism, is to eat balanced meals, leaning towards more protein, but avoid the starches. They are hardest for us to process. Lots of colorful fruits and vegetables. Lean meats. No fast food. Very little bread, pasta or potato. It's what I do. I feel better not eating starches and have more energy for my workouts.
    Also, try to avoid soy. It messes with thyroid meds. Soy is everywhere, and the only soy that's okay is soy sauce. Being fermented, soy sauce doesn't have the chemicals that mess with the meds.
    Hope this is helpful!

you mean soya? i have soya milk everyday and don't eat meat
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    What "Lizard053 " said is exactly the way to do it! I have been on MFP for 8 months and only lost 10 lbs. all of which was lost the first 2 months, then I turnd Hypo ( I have Hashimoto's and I was in a hyper phase in the summer) around Oct. because thats when I stopped losing, but I have lost several inches . I got on Levothyroxine when my labs came back saying I was hypo in Nov. 2011, Finally I was put on meds , My dr. wouldnt while I was hyper ( no I didnt lose any weight and I was tired all the time too) I havent lost any weight since being on meds but Im less tired, I have been slacking lately though and thats something you cant do when your hypo. The only thing thats has kept my energy up and my weight stable is exercising 5-6 days a week, I have done 2 Jillian Michaels DVD's , zumba, Brazil butt lift, and walking almost everyday, also I have started running, I think it helps us hypo's doing lots of cardio. I have heard if your hypo take off 200 calories of your daily calorie goal. I have realized lately though its not a choice for me to eat bad foods, I HAVE to eat healthy or I will feel terrible, bottom line. Today is the first day of me again cutting out ALL pasta, bread etc. and sweets. I have to or I will never lose. I am still hypo (had labs on 1/24/12) So it will be hard but soon I will be regulated (hopefully) . You can do it , if u do everything right and still dont lose , thats OK maintaining with hypo is a good thing too, if your on meds it will take awhile before you are not hypo, Hang in There eat right , burn calories and get your sleep. Im part of the "hyper and hypothyroid group" on MFP you should join!
  • michmill98
    Options
    I'm a hypo too. I've been on meds for almost 2 years now and while I've maintained, it's been slow to lose. I did lose about 10 lbs last year but had to stop exercising (other than moderate walking) for a few weeks following surgery and then the gym I was going to closed. I've been trying to get back into the exercise thing - never was athletically gifted/coordinated!

I take a multi, fish oil, and Biotin with lunch since I take my thyroid meds first thing in the morning but I hadn't heard about the soy conflict. I'll try watching out for that and see if that helps.

Bridget - thanks for the heads up on the "hyper and hypo" group - I just joined!
  • k_braddock
    k_braddock Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm hypo and am on Levothyroxine. I've lost 14 lbs since January 7th but I've quit all carbonated drinks, watch my starches and work out 5 to 6 days a week. If I don't work out that often I feel like crap and can tell a huge difference in my energy level. I do Zumba, walking and elliptical mostly but throw in Yoga and Pilates on occasion. I want to say a huge thank you to those who have given tips about the multi-vitamin and soy products. I had no clue!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how little some doctor's know. Mary J Shomon has written several books about being your own advocate and a decent "diet" book. Not a weight loss book, but a book on the diet a person who has hypothyroidism should eat. It has changed my life!
  • bethyboop19
    Options
    Wow! This is a great response! I've been taking Levothyroxine for about two years now, but I get tested every 6 weeks to check I'm on the right dosage. I go swimming 3 or four times a week and walk everywhere. I don't eat much pasta or potatoe, and trying to cut down on bread. I find it really hard to drink water, so I guess I should try and drink more.

I've been eating loads of fruit and veg and exercising more then I use to. I threw myself into this in January, so maybe I just need to give it time! But its great to read what you guys have put as I have no idea about any of these things!
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I don't have a thyroid anymore. A year and a half ago I had to have it removed after struggling with an extreme case of hyperthyroidism that was doing a nice number on me and failed to respond to any treatment over almost four years. My immunity went to hell, my periods, and it was starting to compromise my heart, so there was no other option than to remove it.

I gained a huge amount of weight during the stabilization period (first year after surgery, basically hypothyroidism x100), because I was tired a lot, my metabolism went to hell and I ate like crap because I was so tired. Now I take Euthyrox (Levothyroxine), 150 mg. I've lost 10 kg in the past six months, and still going down. It's painstakingly slow, but steady. That's your proof that it's possible.

As others said, it's all about being meticulous and very determined. You already have a slower metabolism than most people, and unfortunately that means that you can't afford as many mistakes. Regular exercise will keep your mood up, and any muscle you build is a huge plus with an already slow metabolism.
    One thing I'd add - listen to your body. You need a balanced diet with enough nutrients, but make it work for you. For some people it's grazing on six small meals, for me it's three solid ones with no snacks. Experiment around and find what makes you feel best.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Hope this is helpful!

you mean soya? i have soya milk everyday and don't eat meat

Not good! Soy have isoflavones which are phytoestrogen. They mess with your estrogen levels and can cause health issues.
  • GymAnJuice
    Options
    i'v been on meds for years, i cant believe i'm only now reading this, nobody has ever told me about none of this before. off to shop later to buy regular milk (switching as from today) and now going on amazon to buy at least one book about it. thanks guys for all you advice, a totally shell shocked lisa
  • bethyboop19
    Options
    I don't have a thyroid anymore. A year and a half ago I had to have it removed after struggling with an extreme case of hyperthyroidism that was doing a nice number on me and failed to respond to any treatment over almost four years. My immunity went to hell, my periods, and it was starting to compromise my heart, so there was no other option than to remove it.

I gained a huge amount of weight during the stabilization period (first year after surgery, basically hypothyroidism x100), because I was tired a lot, my metabolism went to hell and I ate like crap because I was so tired. Now I take Euthyrox (Levothyroxine), 150 mg. I've lost 10 kg in the past six months, and still going down. It's painstakingly slow, but steady. That's your proof that it's possible.

As others said, it's all about being meticulous and very determined. You already have a slower metabolism than most people, and unfortunately that means that you can't afford as many mistakes. Regular exercise will keep your mood up, and any muscle you build is a huge plus with an already slow metabolism.
    One thing I'd add - listen to your body. You need a balanced diet with enough nutrients, but make it work for you. For some people it's grazing on six small meals, for me it's three solid ones with no snacks. Experiment around and find what makes you feel best.

I'm on 150mg as well. I'm hoping that is does come off slow once my medication is sorted and I'm taking them regularly . I find that eating every now and again, not leaving more then 3 hours gap, does wonder's for me. Although I do find hard sometimes as I get full up really easily and sometimes I forget to eat. But since trying to eat as much as possible, abalt Healthily, I feel so energized and healthy. I guess it all depends on the person.

I didn't know that about the soy. What foods is soy in, because I don't think I eat/drink much soy.
  • fh1951
    fh1951 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    i've been on the same dosage of synthroid for 20+ years for hypothyroidism, have my blood checked every 6 months per my family doctor, and have been drinking soymilk for the last 5 years - with no change in my NORMAL blood levels of thyroid hormone. my urologist told me to switch to soy from dairy milk. i don't know where this information about soy products comes from, but it's completely off the wall at least in my case!
  • mlucarelli74
    mlucarelli74 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had Graves disease and then radiation which made me hypothyroid. Make sure as you are losing weight, you have your TSH levels checked every 6 weeks or so. Because you are dieting and exercising your dosage of synthroid may need to be adjusted (if you are on it). I only lost 5 lbs, but because of the change in my eating and activity I have had to lower my dosage already. Also, if you are having trouble losing weight, try eating smaller meals more frequently during the day. This will speed up your metabolism without your body having to work as hard to break down the foods. Exercise regularly and drink plenty of fluids. Hope this helps!! Keep me posted!!