help with water....

Options
Hi im a newbie to MFP and im struggling with the water intake,i just dont like water!!!Im manging 3 glasses but its a struggle.How important is your water intake and can i add juice cordial to the water,would it still have the same effects.?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Adding something to the water wouldn't change anything, it's still water. Also, there are plenty of sugar fee sweeteners out there you can try.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Try the MIO water flavoring stuff, there is a sweet tea flavor that's great and I'm pretty sure it's sugar/calorie free. Or add some lemon, lime, or mint to your water.

Also, Crystal Light is a good add in. I love water alone, so I don't use it, but I've heard lots of people swear by it.
  • eissak
    eissak Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Stick with logging your food, it really does make a difference!! I have just started doing really well with drinking water, and I can definitely tell a difference in my weight loss. Since I've started drinking the eight glasses a day the loss has really picked up, and I"ve lost some bloat. I rarely drink plain water b/c like you, it's just hard to drink. I use water flavoring packets or the MiO liquid flavors. This gives it enough taste that I enjoy it and can get in the water I need. A lot of people feel pretty strongly about artificial sweeteners, but this works for me! You can definitely use a splash of juice or whatever, just remember if you are adding to it, do so sparingly b/c it could become sneaky calories. Just my two cents :)
  • charlie2harvey
    Options
    Thanks for the tips ,will give them a try.xx
  • kaylammurphy
    Options
    The more you exercise the more you are going to start craving water. Also, set little goals for yourself--You said you have been drinking 3 glasses, start trying to get a fourth in there three or four days a week. Another option is to get a water bottle that holds 24oz or more of fluid and try to drink at least one a day. Giving yourself goals and then rewarding yourself for making that goal can also help :)
  • chaoticxinsane
    Options
    I'm in your boat. I can only stand to drink JUST water if it's just above freezing point (more ice than water!) or if I do something to it to not make it water anymore, like tea.

I've heard a lot of good about the mio thingies and since my powdered crap expired and the mio's are on one hell of a deal at work I think I might try'em...
  • rocketmouse
    rocketmouse Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people have success with those cups that have straws in them. I personally usually get all 8 of mine in easily - I use a big glass that holds two cups of water, so I only have to drink 4 of them, and usually I add some lemon. Tea and coffee also count! And eat lots of fresh fruit and veg, they help hydrate you!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    If you drink water a few minutes prior to a meal, it will probably cut back on your appetite — your stomach has water in it so, when you add food, it fills up sooner.

For a normally hydrated individual, there's no particular reason to drink more water than your body wants. Many folks here are strong believers in drinking lots of water and I'm OK with that idea because it's generally harmless to drink water and, if it helps you lost weight, all well and good.

From a medical perspective, the medical reports that I've read indicate that "extra water" has no medical value:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~news/releases/2002/aug/080802.html

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/283/5/R993.full

When I quit smoking, I didn't use a nicotine patch nor did I carry a cigarette around with me, as some folks do. In a similar manner, when I was losing weight, I didn't resort to water. Yes, it's better to rely on water so that you eat less (because that will tend to get you healthy sooner) but my preference was to avoid having a crutch altogether.

I realize that "everyone" swears by it, "all" of the diet sites recommend it, etc. so it's apparent that many folks find value in it. It's just "not my cup of tea", so to speak. :-)