How long should I rest a pulled muscle?

I've pulled a muscle down the back of my calf. Right now, an hour later that is, I'm limping and in pain when I move it, but I wouldn't say I was in agony!

And I'm wondering - how long do I rest it?

You see, I have lost a lot of weight (just under 100lbs) the UNHEALTHY way, and now I'm trying to be healthier about the whole thing. My usual approach is to work through it, make it worse, and be out of action for weeks. But these past 3 weeks I've been doing really well, and I'm gutted I might have to interrupt my routine :( I'm super impatient with weightloss (and I'm working on my issues), so this is just a nightmare. Weightloss has been so slow, took over a week to lose 0.4lbs. I get the fluctuations and the need for patience, and I'm working on it.

But yes - I'm really upset about the pulled muscle, and I'm trying super hard to be healthy, so: how long would you rest a pulled muscle? (keeping in mind I'm not in agony or anything)

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    I've pulled a muscle down the back of my calf. Right now, an hour later that is, I'm limping and in pain when I move it, but I wouldn't say I was in agony!

You see, I have lost a lot of weight (just under 100lbs) the UNHEALTHY way, and now I'm trying to be healthier about the whole thing. My usual approach is to work through it, make it worse, and be out of action for weeks. But these past 3 weeks I've been doing really well, and I'm gutted I might have to interrupt my routine :( I'm super impatient with weightloss (and I'm working on my issues), so this is just a nightmare. Weightloss has been so slow, took over a week to lose 0.4lbs. I get the fluctuations and the need for patience, and I'm working on it.

But yes - I'm really upset about the pulled muscle, and I'm trying super hard to be healthy, so: how long would you rest a pulled muscle? (keeping in mind I'm not in agony or anything)
    Depends on the degree. Is it a sprain or a strain? You should get it looked at and get that determined first. Everyone is different and recovery times vary.
    I had a 2nd degree strain of my calf on Feb 4th, but as of today, I can hop on it. It's black and blue and ugly as hell, but with the exception of a little tightness, I'm not immobile.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    It'll be a strain. I was exercising fine, and time was up so I literally stepped off my cross trainer and it hit me.

Got to say, since posting that I got up to go downstairs, and actually, it's bloody painful. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being vaguely uncomfortable and 10 being mind-boggling pain, I'd give it a 5 when I walk on it and a 2 when I'm resting it.

So gutted, I was really doing well and seeing an improvement.
  • ashleynicol3
    ashleynicol3 Posts: 187 Member
    I pulled a groin muscle over the summer & I was in agony for weeks! I could barely walk & I couldn't sleep due to the pain - I just couldn't find a comfortable position. I think I made it worse because I didn't go to the doctor, didn't really know what to do to make it better & I kept moving around, etc. I ended up getting some leftover painkillers from my aunt who had just broken her shoulder & that allowed me to sleep for a couple of hours at a time at least. I say see a doctor & get it checked out because you don't know how bad it truly is & you could make it much worse if you keep using it. Don't be hardheaded like me! :)

Also, it didn't hit me at first. I finished my workout & I was fine - I cleaned my entire apartment, then sat down on the couch. It's when I went to get up from the couch a half hour or so later that I knew something wasn't right. The next day I was definitely in pain, but by day two or three, the pain was unbelievable!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    I once had a doctor tell me to wait until it feels better, then wait one more week.
  • I pulled strained my knee a couple weeks ago and I am still resting it- I have found that I stay just with my set calorie range and still have had a weight loss. I am going to start back this week to just walking on the treadmill and do that for a week to make sure I have no problems.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    It'll be a strain. I was exercising fine, and time was up so I literally stepped off my cross trainer and it hit me.

Got to say, since posting that I got up to go downstairs, and actually, it's bloody painful. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being vaguely uncomfortable and 10 being mind-boggling pain, I'd give it a 5 when I walk on it and a 2 when I'm resting it.

So gutted, I was really doing well and seeing an improvement.
    Well an indication of no "limp" should be enough to let you know that you've recovered enough to start back exercising it again. Just go slow though. Don't want to reinjure it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    My physio would tell you that you shouldn't work it while it HURTS. Discomfort, fine, but not actual pain.

I ignored some nagging pain in my ankle and totally destroyed it. Whoops. I'm trying to take it easier the next couple of weeks as i seem to have aggravated it!
  • o_delaisse
    Thanks for your advice, guys.

Since i posted, now unable to walk on it at all (still, it's bedtime so hopefully not as bad tomorrow). Got frozen peas on it now.

So, i'll go to docs if no better tomorrow, then i'll wait til the limp has gone, then wait a little more, then ease back.

I do have some issues i'm trying to overcome, and this is the kind of thing that leads me to unwise choices. But i'm not gonna do that now, i made a commitment to be healthy about this, so i'll stick to my cal goal, not fret about net intake etc, and keep going the healthy way.

(my main problem to be blunt, is i have no patience and want to rush everything. But i know none of this, muscles or weightloss, is to be rushed.

Thanks again for your help everyone, very much appreciated :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member

How many full rest days do you have per week?
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    when it doesn't hurt anymore
  • o_delaisse
    Minimum of 1, but in these past 7 days had 2 rest days. I read up, people said 1 rest day was ok.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Minimum of 1, but in these past 7 days had 2 rest days. I read up, people said 1 rest day was ok.

What is your goal?
    Optimal fat loss with muscle retention should have at least 2 rest days with moderate cardio.
    Think of your muscles as rubber bands!
    If you dont give them a rest they will eventually break!