My boyfriend thinks MFP is for girls only

Options
he's probably about the same overweight as I was before I started MFP (40 or so pounds overweight) and since I've lost almost 15 pounds, I'm trying to get him to do it too and he keeps telling me "that's for girls"

It's really annoying because I want him to be healthy. He's already got back problems and has trouble sleeping.

Replies

• bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Well he's wrong. If he isn't emotionally ready to make the lifestyle changes necessary to lose weight, he may be looking for ways out of it without facing it himself. This isn't a girly thing at all, I'm sure plenty of guys here will testify to that.
  • tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    My hubby is on it.. he is just "friends" with me on here.. he doesnt have to make anything public that he does... my hubby has already lost 11lbs.. so proud of him!
  • CSummers316
    Options
    Yeah because getting fit and into a shape other than round is OBVIOUSLY only for ladies. *insert eyeroll*

Show him the responses from the male members this thread has and that might get him to open his eyes :P
  • amykathleen2005
    amykathleen2005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Sneak healthy things into his diet. Go for "romantic" walks together or go shopping but park far away from the store or walk around a mall.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Most of the community here is comprised of womenfolk, but it certainly isn't just for you girly types!
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    MFP is not just for girls.
  • dsmonteith
    Options
    Here is my before and after and I owe a lot of my success to this website...ask him if he really thinks this is just for girls.

270536_2187816462871_1470861817_32457294_7313807_n.jpg
    268801_2187685059586_1470861817_32457050_7695836_n.jpg268922_2186574471822_1470861817_32455208_5208835_n.jpg
  • MizTashers
    Options
    I would tell your boyfriend that my husband is far from a girl and he got me doing MFP. My husband is a big, "scary", tattooed biker. However, if what he is doing to lose weight is working then I wouldn't force the issue. On a side note, nothing is intrinsically "for boys" or "for girls". If he truly wants to lose weight then MFP is a good source to use.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    he's probably about the same overweight as I was before I started MFP (40 or so pounds overweight) and since I've lost almost 15 pounds, I'm trying to get him to do it too and he keeps telling me "that's for girls"

It's really annoying because I want him to be healthy. He's already got back problems and has trouble sleeping.

Yup he is 150% absolutely wrong. My hospital network recommends MFP to all patients regardless of gender.

Secondly - you cant make your boyfriend do anything about his weight. He needs to come around on his own, making that decision for himself. How would you feel if he kept after you to go on MFP to lose weight? Let's face: you wouldnt like it... just sayin'
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    *Checks pants*

Nope, not just for girls.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I'd let him catch you ogling a couple of these buff dudes on here, and let the jealousy kick in.
  • broekte
    broekte Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    MFP is a great tool for both men and women to help on the weight loss journey. You get back from it however much you are willing to put into it. If nothing else he should join just to be more aware of his caloric needs and how much certain foods are worse than other foods. That is what the biggest help for me has been. I still don't always make the best choices but I definitely make better choices by being able to look up healthier options when I go out to eat and how many calories I burn doing different exercises. Hope this helps because the journey is much easier with a helping partner.
  • liscain
    liscain Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I guess that's what I want the most is just to have a supportive partner. of course he LOVES that I'm trying to look better for him, but it's not just about looks...we want to have children and with me being 30 and him being 40, if we continue our bad habits, we won't be very good parents/role models for our children.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    He is wrong. There are lots of guys here. There is a guys only group too. He should get on here.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    You can tell him, that I probably have more male friends, than female, :tongue:
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Nope, definitely not. It's worked wonders for me!
  • johncaraher
    johncaraher Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    "That's for girls" is probably code for "I don't want to work at this." MFP won't help someone not willing to commit to change.
  • kmmansell
    kmmansell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree, he is wrong. My husband and are doing it together. Just started almost 1 1/2 weeks ago and we have both lost weight. It is definitely keeping us both on track. I will have to say though that it took taking him to the doctor and seeing his blood results (cardiac risk profile) before he was truly ready to lose the weight.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    <---not a girl; my wife and kids will also vouch for that!
  • dsmonteith
    Options
    "That's for girls" is probably code for "I don't want to work at this." MFP won't help someone not willing to commit to change.

Well said! He has to want to make the change in himself!