Paragard Anyone?

Does anyone here have Paragard? If so, have you experience any side effects? (cramps, heavy bleeding, spotting) I'm thinking of switching back to non-hormonal birth control (used to do NFP/BBT). I am back on the pill now, but every kind I try causes me to swell up like a water balloon! Any information would be great! Also, does anyone use a diva cup with their paragard? I've become addicted to mine and do NOT want to give it up for an IUD...

Thanks!

Replies

• bump
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    You can definitely use a cup with an IUD, including Paraguard.

The common side effects with it are a much heavier period and more intense cramping, especially if you've been on hormonal BC in the past. Spotting isn't an issue because it's not regulating your hormones.
  • I have had Paragard for the last 3 years and I love it. I don't have an issue with any of the side effects that you mentioned. In fact, it seems that my periods are shorter and less heavy with it than the pill.
  • I have the paragard. I bleed like crazy, but I don't get any cramps :) I love it, I've had mine in for almost three years.
  • I have just heard that the suction from the diva cup can dislodge the IUD when you remove the cup. Do you use the two together? Do you take your cup out any special way to prevent this?
  • I have the paragard. I bleed like crazy, but I don't get any cramps :) I love it, I've had mine in for almost three years.

Has your period got any longer? And is the bleeding at least manageable?
  • bump! anyone else have an information to give me?
  • xmandadollx
    xmandadollx Posts: 69 Member
    I don't have Paragard, but I have Mirena. I have no issues with it. My cycles have not been shorter or lighter, but they are way more consistent and predictable. It is nice to know that I have birth control for five years :) Good luck with it!
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    I had a paragard for 9 1/2 years before I had my tubal this summer, I loved it. I also use a menstrual cup (Moon cup) and never had any issues, never even knew there were issues with it with an IUD. I had regular periods that were fairly short. I only had a tubal because it was time to take the IUD out and my "baby" is going to be 11. Not gonna have any more kids, wanted something permanent.
  • keeping_on
    keeping_on Posts: 20 Member
    If you have a LiveJournal account, you may find the community "iud_divas" to be a good resource. My understanding of the use of menstrual cups with an IUD is that it is considered safe and the only extra care that one may take is making sure to break the suction seal prior to pulling it out. Side effects and permanent menstrual changes (if any even occur) are different for each user, but word of mouth suggests that the first few periods with Paragard can be more bothersome than one is used to (heavier bleeding, more cramping) but then things settle down into whatever is normal for you.
  • hooligansmom
    hooligansmom Posts: 122 Member
    I have a Paragard, and I believe the side effects I experience pale in comparison to the benefits. I do have a much heaver period than before, but it does not last longer. However, here are what I consider the best benefits:

1. Convenience - I never have to say "hold on, wait just one minute", nor do I have to remember a pill, patch injection appointment, or anything else

2. Non-hormonal - I had a stroke, so every form of hormonal birth control is out for me. However, I just prefer not to be using artificially produced hormones in my body.

3. Cost - You are going to pay for the Paragard and insertion and then have it for up to 10 years. There are no additional costs if you have no infections or other problems (I haven't).
  • Thanks for the great info everyone! If anyone else has any experiences please feel free to share! I did have the Mirena for a year, gained 25 pounds (may or may not have been linked to Mirena) and had some killer cramps on one side almost like it was not positioned just right. So i'm a little weary to spend the money on another IUD. Oh, and how much did everyone have to pay out of pocket? I got mine from planned parenthood last time so it was free but this time I will be going through my regular health insurance at an actually gynocology office.
  • Sorry I didn't get back to this thread sooner.

My period is longer, it's usually a full seven days, sometimes six, depends.

But i had been on the shot for five years [way too long], then back on Ortho Tri Low for another few years, so I was used to short periods or no periods at all.

It's worth the seven days, because I'm not on any hormones. I was a complete ***** on the shot when it was nearing time for the next shot.
  • Had it. Hated it. Got it removed.

I had the mirena first but couldn't get it after my second child (seizures after insertion and removal due to hormone changes- not a normal side effect, part of my personal health history however). I decided to try the paragard since I forget to take pills and depo was no longer an option.

My periods got much heavier (Bleeding through a extra super tampon every 15 minutes), with massive clots (I could feel them coming out - super gross), and lasted much longer (at first 2 1/2 weeks then reduced to about 10 days). I had horrible mood swings. I felt angry all the time. It seriously felt like I was ok for only 1 week a month. I had it in for 2 years before I couldn't take it anymore. By the end, I would tell my husband when I was having a Target day. This was in reference to one day at Target we were letting the kids look through the toy section (30-40 minutes tops). I had to change my tampon 3 times due to bleeding through. Plus, I had already changed it once before we got to toys.

I have never reacted like this to any other form of birth control. In fact, I would have done the Mirena again in a heartbeat except for the whole seizure thing.

I looked into it a bit before I got it out and there were several women who had the same complaints. There's also plenty of women who love it. It's all how your body responds.

I didn't have to pay anything out of pocket but I also got it after my deductible for the year was paid.
  • llonka
    llonka Posts: 76 Member
    I currently have the Mirena, but have thought about switching over to the ParaGuard. I also will have to pay out of pocket. I like the Mierna and have had it almost four years. I also think my weight gain is from the Mierna.

Would like to know what you decide and if you get the ParaGuard how much it cost and if it gave you any troubles. Good luck!
  • I've had the Paragard for 5 months. Insertion of the Paragard can be a bit painful. I was a little light headed after mine. Might be a good idea to have someone there to drive you home. I'm really happy with it so far. Love not having to remember to take a pill, or pack pills for trips. There is 1 day during my period that is super heavy, no major cramps. Not much different from when I was on the pill. I recommend it, it's done the job so far!
  • I got my Paragard on 12/29/09 and had no side effects from it, my visitor came every month, but in May 2010 it never came, my Paragard baby just turned 1 year old on 2/7... yup I got pregnant with the paragard and my hubby knew before I did, he was gagging and I was in denial!
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    I have the paragard. I bleed like crazy, but I don't get any cramps :) I love it, I've had mine in for almost three years.

Has your period got any longer? And is the bleeding at least manageable?

I have had mine for almost four years. In the beginning mine was longer and heavier but anymore, it's pretty normal.
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    I currently have the Mirena, but have thought about switching over to the ParaGuard. I also will have to pay out of pocket. I like the Mierna and have had it almost four years. I also think my weight gain is from the Mierna.

Would like to know what you decide and if you get the ParaGuard how much it cost and if it gave you any troubles. Good luck!

Mirena was the cause of my weight gain FOR SURE...as soon as I had it removed, I dropped 50 lbs in a matter of months without really changing anything. It also messed with my hormones so bad, that it caused us to TTC for a year and a half...and in that year and a half, I ONLY had three periods. Much different then my oldest who was conceived while I was on the pill.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    I got off the pill in October, and I will most likely get the Paragard this week. Getting off the pill has been quite an interesting experience for me, and I'm glad I did it. Losing weight is much easier, and my sex drive is back. There are a lot of things that are easier now, but at the same time, I have really bad acne and irregular periods, but that's how I was a decade ago before I got on the pill. Part of me feels like puberty all over again, but part of me also feels like I'm just myself again. Perhaps the pill made me feel old and chaste, and that's no way to spend your 20's.

Feel free to message me if you still have questions.

I can't answer the question about the diva cup though.