HRMs + Jillian Michael's workouts

Options
Hey everyone,

I have another question related to Jillian Michael's workouts. I bought a Timex heart rate monitor (the kind that goes around your chest) to accurately count my calories for more intense workouts and I just used it for the first time on my very first JM workout (Level 1, 30 Day Shred).

My HRM gave me a result of 520 calories burned for those roughly 27 minutes of activity and I'm wondering if others get similar results. For comparison, I'm 195 Lbs (5'2") and have nearly zero fitness so my heart rate was averaging at 153 (but this includes warm up/cool down) and peaking at 175.

Is this ridiculously outside the norm or do other very overweight people get high calorie results too?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Replies

• taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I burn 120 cal doing 30DS level 3 !

*going to sulk in corner now*
  • ottawagirl613
    ottawagirl613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Apparently I burn about 165 :(.. I'm interested to see what others burn..
  • tara_1109
    tara_1109 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I burn around 150cals for all levels of the shred
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I burn around 220 cals doing shred or her other dvds (6w6p and yoga), but Ive built up my fitness a bit

A friend who is just starting with her fitness out got shred today, shes about your weight so I will check and see how much she burns
  • SparklesPlenty
    SparklesPlenty Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I burn around 230 for level 1 of 30DS.
  • mjok31
    mjok31 Posts: 84
    Options
    I am doing 30ds and use a polar FT 7 to track....I am burning 260-270 for the 27 minutes with average hr 150 Maximum hr 180
  • PolkaDot88
    PolkaDot88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm on level 3 and I burn about 250, though it goes down a bit each time as I get more in shape. My first day with level 1 I burned 315.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I only burn just under 200 calories doing level 1 of the shred. I am on day 6 of level 1 and my calorie burn is less every time I do it, on day 1 it was almost 300 calories. I'm 64, 5" 5", 222 pounds. I also use a HRM while doing the shred.
  • glacroix
    glacroix Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow! First of all, thanks to all of you for posting so quickly!

This is informative but disappointing! I was so hoping it could be true :P I guess I'll try to see if I did something wrong on my HRM when I was inputting my numbers. I just hope it's not defective, it was supposed to be good quality...
  • glacroix
    Options
    I burn around 220 cals doing shred or her other dvds (6w6p and yoga), but Ive built up my fitness a bit

A friend who is just starting with her fitness out got shred today, shes about your weight so I will check and see how much she burns

That would be great, please do! And thank you for your stats!
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I burn about 350 according to my HRM.
  • glacroix
    Options
    WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I burn 120 cal doing 30DS level 3 !

*going to sulk in corner now*

Lool!! That just means you're in killer shape ;) That's something to be proud of!
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    When I started 30DS (Level 1) I was burning about 300 calories. I am 5'8", 187 lbs.

Now (on day 7 of the program) I am burning 275 calories at the same weight, averaging 165 bpm heart rate.

I have a polar heart rate monitor. I think your 520 calorie estimate is far too high.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I burn around 270 I am 5'7" and in the low 190s when I did 30 Day Shred.
  • paulagabay
    Options
    I also burn 120-150 calories doing all levels of the shred.
  • Jacy707
    Options
    I burn between 350-370 depending on how much I push it. I am pretty overweight though, 5'10 and 280. You have to pay attention to where the fat burn zone is though, which is a lot lower than what your max heart rate should be. Oh and I have a polar HRM that goes around chest. It pretty much rocks.
  • runtrx
    runtrx Posts: 17
    Options
    I burned 288 calories doing 27 minutes of level 1 JM 30DS today. My HR, at peak, was 175bmp, and averaged about 155bmp with a resting HR of 82bpm. I'm 5'4" and 205lbs. I use a Polar FT40.
  • iishnova
    iishnova Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and I was getting results similar to yours. My last two 30DS days I burned an average of 533 (level 1 & according to my HRM)
  • pitbullmom87
    Options
    i completely busted my rear doing level 2 of 30ds today and just started using my hrm and the whole 27 minutes, it said i only burned 30 calories and im thinkin, what did i do wrong? i know thats not right.
  • mgpage
    mgpage Posts: 123
    Options
    I just started the 30 DS and finished day 3 level one. I use the Polar FT4 HRM w/chest band and I have burned 259 - 266 calories, depending on how much steam I have. I would love to burn 520 calories, but I am pretty wimpy and have to stop and catch my breath. I try to do as she says 5 seconds and start back up, but I can't always.