Please help me! getting desperate

Options
I sprained my ankle early in the year. before that I had a fairly active lifestyle, excercising regularly.

I tried to start the 30 day shred today, but my ankle is healing slower than I had realised - after a jumping jack or two I realised that the strength just isnt there :( it feels like forever, but I guess its just slow recovery

I dont want to do myself more harm than good, so I stopped.

I miss exercise and need to get some in order to loose weight! could anyone please suggest some excercise that I can do while I recover? (not swimming, I am already doing that )

I need to fight the flab!!

Replies

• pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    I'm sorry you're struggling. Are you able to ride a bike? Do spin?
    Take care and heal that ankle!
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Leslie sansone- Walk away the pounds :smile:

Or just keep a 500 calorie a day deficit until it's better :flowerforyou:
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I would try spinning for a good cardio.
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is a good option but the elliptical machine may be easier, it is pretty low impact. Other ideas...
    If you had access to a pool or there is a community pool that is great exercise, perhaps you could do upper body and core exercise. Perhaps some yoga or pilates would be a nice change and give your ancle time to heal. I hope you feel better soon- that is rough!
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Squats and Dead-Lifts
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating to repair that ankle?
    Daily calories?
    Macros?

Without the proper nutrition in place you will have a long road to recovery.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I have a bad food and recently sprained my ankle (not bad but it hurts if pressure isn't coming straight up - if that makes sense). I've always used the elliptical because it is low impact. I've been using it even after the minor sprain without any pain. It's something to consider.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Lift weights, crunches, planks, dips, leg or knee raises, rock climbing, shovel a hole and fill it back in... The list is endless.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    First? Look up sports injuries online and follow the advice you find there about how to take proper care of your ankle, and exercises to do to strengthen it. Expect it to be at least 6-8 weeks before you're really ready to do things like run or do jumping jacks.

Other than that, just find things to do that don't hurt! :smile:
  • jenronan1
    jenronan1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What have you done to rehab your ankle? Physical therapy would do wonders to help build strength. I had a 3rd degree sprain and only could spin if it was wrapped. Elliptical is good, you can strength train. I like doing mini circuits. Back, chest, back, chest ( lat pull down, push up, bent over row, flye). 12 reps, 30 seconds in between each exercise, rest two minutes repeat. Then I do another set for arms/ shoulders. I will do lower the next day....good luck!
  • giovannablanco
    giovannablanco Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, to strengthen your ankle, every night before you go to bed, or while sitting down, try and write the alphabet with your foot. It will strengthen the muscles in your ankle. I know it sounds strange, but i am a conditioned basketball player, and it does work! Also you can do exercises on the row machine, or elliptical. Both machines are easy on the joints, Enjoy(:
  • inge88
    inge88 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a physiotherapist? They can help you strap your ankle up and give you exercises to strengthen it. My boyfriend got an elastic band he did al sorts of exercises with when he torn his ligament.

Be patient! Putting too much pressure on it will only make the healing go slower.. or worse, take you right back to the start.
  • Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You poor thing :o(

Totally feel your pain - I've done my achilles recently which has stopped me from running. It's not fun at all.

* Tape and ankle brace when exercising; try stationary bike on medium resistance but high cadence.

* Elliptical can work but it still requires you put a lot of weight on the ankle.

* Rower can also work so long as your ankle is strapped - slide a penny into the bottom of your non-injured-foot's shoe where the pad of your foot is; concentrate on pushing your non-injured foot onto the penny

* Ice the ankle every night you do exercise; keep it elevated

* Go to the physio for a couple of sessions - they'll show you the exercises you need to do

* Make sure you do strengthening exercises for the supporting joints

* Write a diary on how the ankle feels - strength, pain, swelling etc - and chart progress.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Is swimming an option. Totally non-weight bearing.
  • Rhondast
    Options
    I tore my knee muscle, and just started 30 day shred last week. The elliptical trainer shouldn't hurt your ankle, if you take it easy.I was so frustrated, for a month,I couldn't do anything,but sit around, taking mobic. I gained so much weight. It hurt so bad to just walk, but it seems okay now. Proceed with caution on the 30 Day Shred. Our weather is so nasty, that I've not been to the gym, and I found out I'm traveling for work so I might as well not bother. But, I can't wait to go to the gym. I'd say, for you, the elliptical trainer should be helpful. Also, are you being seen by a Physical Therapist? They can suggest exercises.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I would recommend yoga in addition to what has already been suggested. I've met quite a few people at my studio who have had ankle problems and who do well. If you have a Bikram studio near you, it will give you a great cardio workout as well!
  • RebeccaJay37
    Options
    wow thanks so much for all the suggestions everyone!

There are sooo many good ideas, I am sure I will be able to find something that is suitable. I have tried cycling/excercise bike my ankle screams at the range of motion :( same with things like squats, I think its the heel back/knee and weight forward movement that it's struggling with.

I will definitely try taping it up to see if I can get some more action out of it though!

And I will also look into some Physical Therapy, and try the alphabet thing. anything to get back to normaility!!
    Thanks again everyone. :)
  • RebeccaJay37
    Options
    How much are you eating to repair that ankle?
    Daily calories?
    Macros?

Without the proper nutrition in place you will have a long road to recovery.

Oh, and calories wise MFP has set my goal to 1820, but I struggle to eat that - generally its around 1500-1650, but I try to eat fresh and healthy, higher in protein low in fat