Chinese Buffett

Options
Here's a neat one, how do you folks handle a chinese all you can eat buffett? I liked going to pig out at the all you eat buffets once every other month or so, not a steady thing, but I wonder how I could even begin to try and catalog all thats there without the indignity of using a measring cup (which by the way, I do if it's a regular meal entree). Between the combination fried rice, lo mein, chicken wings, Fried shrimp, garlic shrimp, General Tso (sic) chicken etc etc etc, do I even try or just hit dietary "pause button" and start again? I'm not thinking of such a glorious but ultimately guilt inspiring feast any time soon, but it's a what if kind of question? I'd just love to hear/read some comments on the subject. I really enjoy hearing other peoples opinions.

Replies

• macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    This is a really tough one for me. I found it impossible to try and log each item. I have tried it a couple of ways, one was to break out the items into major ''groups'. I usually do rice/noodles together as I find their calorie content are about the same, deep fried food , I will estimate by pieces, as it's about 60 calories on average per piece, vegetables , and meat. I eyeball how much I have, and will find one item that matches my eating. I will usually use the other calorie counts as I don't factor in sauces. I have also found there is a general Chinese Buffet diary entry, so will use that if I need to be quick, since there is more than one, I will base the one I choose based on if there was a lot of deep fried or rice.

I find Chinese food in general can be difficult to log especially if it's is in family style. Often there are more than a dozen dishes tht we share, and some of them I am not even sure what they are. I take a best guess.
  • cindysess
    cindysess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would hurt to pig out on a chinese buffet once every other month, or even once a month, as long as you get back on track the next day.
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    I had to deal with this a week or two ago. It wasn't a planned trip... so I had to just do my best. The first thing I did was try to keep things simple. Instead of trying 50 different things, I just stuck to my favorites. There ended up being 5 separate dishes to log. From there, I just tried to eyeball it. Since I've been counting calories and learning about portion sizes, I've gotten a lot better at guessing how much food is on my plate. Lastly, I just tried to make peace with it. I know that my count wasn't exact. I tried to overestimate as best I could, but I still probably logged under what I actually ate. (Especially since individual recipes vary so much from cook to cook, and I was stuck using generic values from the MFP database.) All things considered, I ate about 900 calories over my goal that day (so about 400 over my maintenance calories) and it kinda sucked to see those bright red negative values. But oh well. It was one day. The food was delicious. Best of all-- it didn't kill me!

I think you'll be fine. Just eat want you want, try to remember what you put on your plate, and eyeball those portion sizes. Go ahead and log it all too. It won't hurt anything. :smile:
  • Southpaw3612
    Options
    Guess you'd just have to eyeball it as was said. But honestly, after dieting, good luck if you can eat more than one full plate of chinese buffet food. I would be surprised.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    If you only do it once a month and drink a lot of water that day, I'd just say just to not log it (or just quick add 1500 calories or however much you guestimate it to be)

I need to go to a Chinese buffet. I need it in my life right now
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I don't even try when I go. Although, I find I can't eat nearly as much as I used to.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I'd just add 2000 calories and go all out. Drink water because the sodium will be KILLER, but seriously, with the frequency you describe, it won't hurt at all.

THANKS for making me want Chinese food LOL
  • Des92
    Des92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    There is actually a "Typical Chinese Buffet Plate" in the database! I think it's 700 calories or something, which seems low to me, but when I go to one I'm sure to eat light all day and get a good workout in first. Then I'll add that option (usually at least x2), drink tons of water, and hope I don't wake up 10 pounds heavier!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I'd just add 2000 calories and go all out. Drink water because the sodium will be KILLER, but seriously, with the frequency you describe, it won't hurt at all.

THANKS for making me want Chinese food LOL
    The winner!
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    Guess you'd just have to eyeball it as was said. But honestly, after dieting, good luck if you can eat more than one full plate of chinese buffet food. I would be surprised.

This is a really good point. I"m embarrassed to say that I managed *two* plates, but it was really difficult, and I thought I was going to die immediately afterward. LOL. I couldn't believe how difficult it was to finish what I'd selected. I had no idea my stomach would have shrunk so fast!
  • robb7
    robb7 Posts: 22
    Options
    I pigged out on Sunday at a buffet and man was it good. Just stay away from the fried foods and drink a gallon of water afterwards. Usually doesn't effect me too much.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Great answers everyone, I hadn't even thought of or considered the shrinking stomach angle or the extra water. Sorry about inadvertantly giving you the subliminal buffet message cristo pisto:tongue: .
  • farmerstan
    Options
    I do it every week on Sunday. At most I will be 3lbs heavier but within a day I will be back to my starting weight. I always try to have a big work out before on those days so most of the stuff I eat will go to rebuilding and not stored energy. For sure tho water not soda.
  • blissy_girl
    blissy_girl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The buffet I go to has sushi, salad, and boiled shrimp. When I go I have no problem filling up on salad, eating some sushi and shrimp. I think you just have to decide if you want to stay in your calorie goal or not. The best option is to make a plan, if you think you are gonna eat 2k calories then workout like crazy that day.

Don't worry about going over everyonce in a while. Enjoy, and don't use it as an excuse to do it all the time or stop tracking! :smile:
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I got to the buffet once a week and get take out - my rules are no lo mein (and i love lo mein), no rice, no breaded anything. I fill half the take out tray with green beans (my addiction) and the other half with chicken, broccoli and shrimp and then I get the heck out of there and eat it at my desk at work. Fulfills my Chinese food craving without going overboard.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Maybe have a snack before you go and drink a lot of water. Like an apple and a big ol' glass of water. That way you won't be starving when you get there, and you will fill up a lot faster. The biggest key is when you are satisfied to STOP. Don't push until you're in painfully full territory. Push the plate away and walk out. :-)