increase calories???

Options
hi there,

im a little confused when you are recommended to increase calories. Im female and 5ft, because of my height i tend to aim for minimum intake of 1200 calories.
Im going to start an exercise routine next week along with the diet (Hannah Waterman) and it recommend an intake of 1400, i think she is also petite at 5.2" and it worked for her but im confused as to how increasing calories will help

can anyone put it into simple terms :-)

Replies

• MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    The more you work out the more calories you need.
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    To add a little bit to that. In my case, I need 1850 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week. But if I do a work out that burns 500 calories, I can then eat 2350 calories a day and still lose the same 2 pounds a week.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    To add a little bit to that. In my case, I need 1850 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week. But if I do a work out that burns 500 calories, I can then eat 2350 calories a day and still lose the same 2 pounds a week.
    You want to create a weekly deficit. When making calorie calculations you want to factor in an activity level.

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

You find your maintenance calories then subtract around -20%. Start from there and make adjustments.

Also like to add, most people OVERESTIMATE their activity level.
  • pigwidgeon82
    pigwidgeon82 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'1" and i eat roughly 1500 calories a day. if i work out i eat more in addition to the 1500.

i used this site: http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html to estimate how many calories a day i burned through normal activity. i then lowered that number a little because my metabolism runs a little slower due to thyroid issues.

but you should definitely be getting more than 1200. my doctor told me to never go below 1400, but she preferred me eating between 1500-1700 a day.

you can lose weight on more calories because in a day your body burns more than 1200 or 1400 calories through normal, everyday function. if you are feeding it less than it needs to function as normal, it think it is starving and will end up holding on to everything you put into it because it thinks it won't get enough calories to perform its daily functions. you may lose at first, but in the long run you will stop losing and end up doing more damage. i'd definitely eat at a minimum 1400 if i were you.
  • Janicebrown77
    Janicebrown77 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think the proof is in the pudding with me, last 4 weeks ive lost over a 14lbson 1200 i am 5'4 , last week i lowered my cals to 1100, and i haven't lost a pound and my energy levels are lower, so i am going back up to 1200 but going back to eating healthy proteins will little complex carbs.

i had it in my head that if i lowered my cal intake to 1100 the weight would fall off, as i work in retail i stand /walk all day except for the hr lunch plus i am walking and running every day, but low and behold its hanging onto the weight for dear life, so back to it for me. eat little and often cutting out rubbish and empty carbs and treating myself 1 day a week (within reason)