British Humor

Options

Replies

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I wanna add a couple to that list... Spaced, Black Books and Green Wing.

got them all on dvd...well watched and well worth the money
  • MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I second The Peep Show. It was on on Friday night and sometimes on Wednesday i'd remember something in the show that i identified with and laugh. I think it's very UNamerican though, it's all about the banal and the mundane and feeling a bit crushed under the weight of all of it. HILARIOUS HILARIOUS stuff though. It's NOT Friends ykwim. It's Friends but if they were "looooooooozers".
  • ReneeOfTheFae
    Options
    YES! Just saw this thread, so if I am repeating any suggestions, sorry!!
    Love Black Adder so much that I went out and bought a couple of the series on dvd a few years back.
    Red Dwarf and, as long as we're mentioning Ab Fab, I would be remiss if I didn't recommend French and Saunders!!! Their comedy spans many countries and generations of pop culture. Love them!!! (They were even characters in an episode of Jim Henson's The Storyteller when I was a child. Didn't know it then, though. But, I can tell you that when I watched it again as an adult, the episode soared to great heights of laughter for me.)
  • MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    RE i'm alan partridge. I sometimes get flashes of steve coogan in his underpants on a table in a nightclub. pants and a machine knitted jumper, brogues and socks.....

I love american tv as well though. bREAking bad (omg, excellent stuff) House, mad men, Dexter............

There just isn't enough time to watch all the tv that's been made!!!
  • stormtrooper73
    Options
    EXCELLENT POST ...blackadder is way way up there as one of my faves
  • vizamy
    vizamy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Nobody has mentioned The Goodies.

And of course there is radio/audio. To mention only a couple,The Goon Show, the start of so much. The long running I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue and its predecessor I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    2879347_f520.jpg

And thus, deserves its own thread :bigsmile:

*like*
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Black Books is a must-see!
  • Tortoisegirl7
    Tortoisegirl7 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    :heart: :laugh:
  • emmiexjay
    emmiexjay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    HUZARR! I have a cunning plan!

Lol I'm British so british by birth british by nature
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Fawlty Towers.... "Is this a piece of your brain?" will stay with me forever

LOVE Only Fools and Horses..... David Jason.... what a talent.

Peep Show excellent too
  • Zuznana
    Zuznana Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    ~I love British humour. Not much of an input, but I don't want to lose this thread, sorry.
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I might have to check a few of these out, but one of my all time favorite shows, of course is The I.T. Crowd.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?!?!?!

Jen... the spider is now upon my person!

Dear Sir/Madam,

Fire! Fire! Help me! 123 Carrington Road.
    Looking forward to hearing from you.

All the best,
    Maurice Moss

0118-999-881-999-119-725....3
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    One more reason that I know I was British in a former life is I never had to aquire the taste for British humor. I was born with it.
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Black Books is a must, so is Spaced
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options
    For those of you recommending Blackadder etc., and sorry if this has been suggested already, look up Rowan Atkinson's standup on youtube. In particular, the Indian Restaurant is very very British & imo very funny.

Other classics are some of Alan Bennett's monologues - search for Alan Bennett 'The Telegram'.

Oh, and although Irish rather than British, Dave Allen was a comedy genius. Again, worth checking on youtube for some of his stand-up routines.

I don't think I need the disclaimer, but, just in case, some of these can be somewhat vulgar... :bigsmile:

Oh - did anyone mention Eric & Ernie? Another classic from the past. The Andre Previn sketch is awesome ("Griegs piano concerto, by Grieg with him & him" hehehe)
  • lizlee8
    lizlee8 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    STILL GAME! Wonderful Scottish humour, though it can be hard for non-Scots to understand...(dialect/accent, not just coz we're super intellingent :tongue: )
    Yes!!! :heart: Still Game and Chewing The Fat before that Taysiders in Space (with subtitles :tongue: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khrpy4V0-U4

Also nobody has mention One Foot In The Grave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0tiNwOpZ68

So cute! Aaand Hilarious!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    It's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken Caesar! ;-)

Has no one mentioned the Fast Show yet????
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    It's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken Caesar! ;-)

Has no one mentioned the Fast Show yet????

this is my ring tone.

also lookup Eddie Izzard and death star on youtube. one of the most british and amusing sketches ever.

i agree about peep show and the IT crowd.

also not forgetting QI and Mock the Week as good things to watch if you can get hold of them.