Intermittent Fasting

Options
Hey Gang,

Has anyone tried or had experiences with IF as a way to promote fat loss?...especially the last 10-15 pounds...I'm reading a lot of research on the internet that supports IF as a legitimate way to lose weight....Any thoughts would be appreciated...Thanks.

-Rob

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Bump. I am interested in this as well. i am working to cut the last 4% of my body fat. Have thought about doing this.
  • JThomas61
    Options
    Bump, I am in the same boat would like to know what others think.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    I use it as do many others. Go to this group http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/49-intermittent-fasting where we share information.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    My mom has been trying this recently, but I haven't had any updates from her as to how it's working for her. I know I do a 24hr fast once per month to help flush excess fluids from my system (I have problems with water retention). I always feel alot better internally...cleaner somehow...after a fast.
  • AiryM
    AiryM Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I'm interested in this as well ever since I found the Primal Blueprint.
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I don't really agree with this because when you fast you spike your insulin levels and when you finally eat because of the high insulin levels everything you eat gets stored as fat in the body.... not a good idea
  • chazspk
    chazspk Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I do it every week .. I love it ...
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    This is a mixture of personal opinion after reading both leangains, several posts on bodybuilding.com, and my own experiences.

1) I don't quite buy into the physiological effects of IF as I'm still fully supporting the idea that nutrient timing plays minimal to zero role in body composition outside of it's effects on performance. There are studies showing acute effects but not long term effects and in weight loss, often times the acute effects are meaningless when you zoom out, so to speak.

2) Ghrelin is a hunger signaling hormone that adapts to behavior and this part of IF is amazing. You'll eventually get used to the fasted portion of the program and when this happens it's awesome. You won't really be hungry during the fasted portion which means more food, essentially. (X calories during 1 hour feels like more food than X calories during 12 hours, for example).

I used IF but not STRICTLY, while I did my last cut from about 190 to 177. It was amazing and when I start my next cut I'll be doing IF again and I usually do what amounts to a 16/8 but for me it was more like 18/6.

Fasted training is hit or miss for people. I can train fasted and perform great.

I think it's legit and worth trying. I don't think it's for everyone and I still think that nutrient timing/meal frequency should be left to personal preference as the primary reason in all cases.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I intermittent fast from 10pm -2pm daily. Unless i'm off with the wife.
    I eat 2k on rest days and 2800-3k on heavy lifting days.

Because my primary goal is fat loss with concurrent lean mass gains I only heavy lift 3 days a week.

Hormonally i'm more sensitive to insulin because of the fast.
    I dont have to do cardio because i'm already pretty strong in that regard and the fast is already burning fat after about 8am.

I suggest you read the ENTIRE www.leangains.com website and add Martin Berkhan to your twitter and Facebook.

IOf you need solid IF dietary numbers please send me an PM and i'll run your info.
  • queenshebah
    Options
    Me too! I have recently committed to daily 12 hour fast, where I happily have my last meal @ 5:00 here in brooklyn. my wife and i committed to juice fasting for 8 days and it was amazing! now we have solid foods six days out of the week and drink tea and water on one day. i always feel refresh afterward. i'm @ work now but ill post more information soon. bless!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I just started yesterday...16 hour fast, 8 hours to eat. I will not be training fasted though as my schedule will not allow. :drinker:
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting ,
    very good FREE e-book that explains all types of IF and what may or may not work for you, I have done one day every other week or every week depending on my schedule, It's difficult but its definitley a good experiment to try!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    I don't really agree with this because when you fast you spike your insulin levels and when you finally eat because of the high insulin levels everything you eat gets stored as fat in the body.... not a good idea

I would love to see actual support for this in a double blind scientific study. Yes, your insulin goes up when you eat, that is true for everyone when they eat insulin spike, but due to the fast insulin sensitivity is much higher as well, so saying it "spikes" would be a vast overstatement. A healthily functioning body produces enough insulin to do the job. It is when people are insulin resistant that they produce way too much to get the sugar out of their blood. For that matter, the thought that all that food goes to fat is simply incorrect. Due to the fast, especially if your worked out fasted, your muscle and liver are both majorly depleted in glycogen which means the first place the sugar in your blood stream will go is to your muscles and liver to fill them up with stored glycogen.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Wow, you're ignorance isn't limited to thinking everyone needs 50-60% cho in their diets
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Wow, you're ignorance isn't limited to thinking everyone needs 50-60% cho in their diets

Lol
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I do the leangain.com 16/8 IF and do break my fast just after training (I so a mix of heavy strenght training and cardio) It just plain work for my life. I just love sitting in front of a big plate of food at diner time. It took me about 2 weeks to not have headach anymore. I am on day 12 of a 60 day cut cycle and lost 2.5 pounds (some of that was TOM weight to tell the truth) In november, I was 23% body fat as mesured by my DR office, my hope is to get to 18%
  • glenr79
    Options
    ok some people don't like what I said... lol but good for you!! Here are some reasons why you should not INTERMITTENTFAST

A Supplecity site visitor asked about "intermittent fasting," after having read about its many wonders on various blogs and postings written by people with credentials completely unrelated to diet and fat reduction.

The idea behind this is you starve your body of calories just long enough to tap your fat stores but not long enough to trigger your body's starvation defenses. Looking at it from just this perspective, it would appear to be just the thing for a person who wants a magic bullet for losing fat. It's not.

This practice has several serious shortfalls. For starters, it reduces nutrient absorption, causes insulin swings, and plays hell with your kidneys. If you want to go into a coma or wind up on dialysis, this approach is perfect. Otherwise, stay away. It's Dangerous (notice the capital D there?).

Let's step back a moment and look at the bigger picture. If your goal is to "lose weight," then of course mindlessly reducing calories for a short enough period that you don't go into the low-metabolism, calorie conserving mode makes sense.

But, that's not a sensible goal. A sensible goal is fat reduction. And that is hugely different (no pun intended) from weight loss. And so are the consequences. After all, you can lose weight very quickly by having your limbs amputated. Do you think a runner who wants to go faster should lose weight by such a method? Of course not. And it doesn't make sense for anyone else.

You can lose weight by losing lean tissue, and most weight loss methods result in that. What you really want to do is lose excess fat, because that's how you get rid of a root cause of disease.

Nobody has ever gone to a doctor and heard, "Well, your arteries are clogged because you have too much lean mass." No, the problem is the excess body fat.

That excess fat comes from too many calories. But simply cutting calories doesn't fix the fat problem. There's a bit more to it than that.

Your body needs a certain amount of calories each day to:

Maintain healthy bone and muscle.
    Maintain healthy organs.
    Maintain adequate brain functioning.
    Further, you cannot build new muscle on a restricted calorie diet. This means that, for sustainable leanness and fat loss, this diet works against you by inhibiting muscle growth.

Your body also needs a certain level of fiber flow through the digestive system to reduce cancer risk and generally detoxify your system.

When you go on intermittent fasting, all of this stops.

You stop building new muscle, which means you reduce the amount of fat you burn just by sleeping. You will, in fact, lose muscle. And why on earth would you want to risk your job by showing up with a brain that isn't firing on all cylinders? Do you want to drive a car on our dangerous roads in that condition?

This diet, like all other "silver bullet" diets, ignores fundamental principles and tries to get something for nothing.

If you want to reduce your body fat, you will find out how to safely and effectively do that in our other fat loss articles. Go here to see what they are: Weight loss and fat loss articles.

Some general principles of fat loss are as follows:

Get adequate nutrition. Did you notice that the intermittent fasting method violates this?

Eat six meals a day. Did you notice that the intermittent fasting method violates this, also?

Control your portion size to limit calories to what your body needs to maintain lean tissue, based on your lean tissue composition and activity level.

Avoid or eliminate highly processed foods.
    If you follow just those four principles, you will see your body fat level go to well within the "Look at that tight bod!" level. Yes, there's more you can do to fine tune things and get really "cut." And maybe you would like more information on the details of doing so.

But it you just follow these four principles, you will get results. You won't need to experiment with a health-challenging, unsustainable, uncomfortable practice like fasting. Intermittently or otherwise.
  • glenr79
    Options
    what are your qualifications? to be saying that.... obviously you do not know science

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    ok some people don't like what I said... lol but good for you!! Here are some reasons why you should not INTERMITTENTFAST

A Supplecity site visitor asked about "intermittent fasting," after having read about its many wonders on various blogs and postings written by people with credentials completely unrelated to diet and fat reduction.

The idea behind this is you starve your body of calories just long enough to tap your fat stores but not long enough to trigger your body's starvation defenses. Looking at it from just this perspective, it would appear to be just the thing for a person who wants a magic bullet for losing fat. It's not.

This practice has several serious shortfalls. For starters, it reduces nutrient absorption, causes insulin swings, and plays hell with your kidneys. If you want to go into a coma or wind up on dialysis, this approach is perfect. Otherwise, stay away. It's Dangerous (notice the capital D there?).

Let's step back a moment and look at the bigger picture. If your goal is to "lose weight," then of course mindlessly reducing calories for a short enough period that you don't go into the low-metabolism, calorie conserving mode makes sense.

But, that's not a sensible goal. A sensible goal is fat reduction. And that is hugely different (no pun intended) from weight loss. And so are the consequences. After all, you can lose weight very quickly by having your limbs amputated. Do you think a runner who wants to go faster should lose weight by such a method? Of course not. And it doesn't make sense for anyone else.

You can lose weight by losing lean tissue, and most weight loss methods result in that. What you really want to do is lose excess fat, because that's how you get rid of a root cause of disease.

Nobody has ever gone to a doctor and heard, "Well, your arteries are clogged because you have too much lean mass." No, the problem is the excess body fat.

That excess fat comes from too many calories. But simply cutting calories doesn't fix the fat problem. There's a bit more to it than that.

Your body needs a certain amount of calories each day to:

Maintain healthy bone and muscle.
    Maintain healthy organs.
    Maintain adequate brain functioning.
    Further, you cannot build new muscle on a restricted calorie diet. This means that, for sustainable leanness and fat loss, this diet works against you by inhibiting muscle growth.

Your body also needs a certain level of fiber flow through the digestive system to reduce cancer risk and generally detoxify your system.

When you go on intermittent fasting, all of this stops.

You stop building new muscle, which means you reduce the amount of fat you burn just by sleeping. You will, in fact, lose muscle. And why on earth would you want to risk your job by showing up with a brain that isn't firing on all cylinders? Do you want to drive a car on our dangerous roads in that condition?

This diet, like all other "silver bullet" diets, ignores fundamental principles and tries to get something for nothing.

If you want to reduce your body fat, you will find out how to safely and effectively do that in our other fat loss articles. Go here to see what they are: Weight loss and fat loss articles.

Get adequate nutrition. Did you notice that the intermittent fasting method violates this?

Eat six meals a day. Did you notice that the intermittent fasting method violates this, also?

Control your portion size to limit calories to what your body needs to maintain lean tissue, based on your lean tissue composition and activity level.

Avoid or eliminate highly processed foods.
    If you follow just those four principles, you will see your body fat level go to well within the "Look at that tight bod!" level. Yes, there's more you can do to fine tune things and get really "cut." And maybe you would like more information on the details of doing so.

But it you just follow these four principles, you will get results. You won't need to experiment with a health-challenging, unsustainable, uncomfortable practice like fasting. Intermittently or otherwise.
    what are your qualifications? to be saying that.... obviously you do not know science

?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Right, cause you need a degree to speak intelligently on a subject. You have a degree and posted a bunch of broscience

How does IF violate getting in adequate nutrition, when you are eating the same number of cals and macros as you would, just in a compressed time.

Why would you have to eat 6 times a day, when it yields no metabolic advantage?