Food Log (when do you fill yours??)

Options

Replies

• littlegoat
    Options
    I've been on here a month and a half, and usually used to just add as I ate, thanks to the android app I've got.. the past week or so though I've taken to logging beforehand, and I've found it does make everything a lot easier.. plus, the really geeky control freak side of me LOVES having it planned out in advance, trading different foods to different days so I can have a bit more or a bit less of something on certain days.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I always fill my out first thing in the morning when I get to work since I usually pre-plan all of my meals. Its easier to do from the computer. I then update from my phone as need be if something is alter after work.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I usually fill mine in at the beginning of the day, or before I start eating.
  • samanthaalgar27
    samanthaalgar27 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I often do mine in the morning, plan things ahead....then if i go over i don't have to cut out anything, i just know how much more effort i need to put in to burn the calories exercising!

I find it keeps you from falling off the wagon because you can always alter things if you decide you don't want something, or maybe want to swap it for something lower in calories etc....Once it's in your mouth theres no going back!
  • Laner07
    Laner07 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I add it as I eat unless I'm going out to eat then I prelog it. If you don't eat as much as you thought you would you can always go back and change it.
  • shellyt1
    shellyt1 Posts: 119
    Options
    I do it as I go along during that day. If I work in the afternoon I start calulating what cal I have left when I plan my evenings so I can have my wine and a snack plus dinner. If I'm away from home I just write down what I ate for a meal and add it when I get home. Keep track of your excerise too. I have added leasure walking when I have gone shopping. Good luck and welcome to MFP I have been here 4 weeks now and it is great and very supportive group of people. You can add me if you would like.
  • ssforcey
    ssforcey Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Breakfast and Lunch I do either the night before or the morning of. During the day is when I usually think about what I'm doing for dinner. If I don't fill out breakfast and lunch early I'm scrambling int he morning to figure it out then make bad choices.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I fill it throughout the day on my phone
  • dawnblu
    dawnblu Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I usually do it in the morning or the night prior, and then change anything I need to as the day plays out.

I do this as well! And I sorta love it - I get excited and make a game out of sticking to what I've logged. Sometimes I'll do several days out if I have made a big meal that will last 3-4 dinners.

I totally do this! I put in what I'm having for the day so I can see if I need to add or subtract and I put in my regular workouts as well. I love seeing what I can have through the day and it keep me motivated. If I get off track I have to remove something from dinner or a snack to make up for it. It is a game for me and I'm winning!!! (at least so far :laugh: )
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hello! Do what feels right for you!

If we're eating dinner out, I also pre-plan it and log early. Other than that, it just depends. I am pretty good about knowing my food values by now and what is what without logging it early. I tend to log it as I eat it, which does not work for everyone. Pre-planning is great as long as you can stick to it!
  • Chrissieneave
    Chrissieneave Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I add all my main meals for the day, while i'm logging breakfast. Then i know what i've got left for snacks etc and to just basically keep on track :)
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    If my day is preplanned and all my food is packed I will log everything in the morning. It gives me an idea where I will be at the end of the day, post workout.
  • MenaMena
    MenaMena Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I fill in as I am planning and preparing and make adjustments throughout the day. I have MFP on my ipad so I am always connected.
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I normally bring my food to school/work, and when I do that, I add everything I bring in, and then subtract as needed. This way I know how many calories total I can consume, then gauge from there. :)
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    At first I logged as I went, after I had eaten, but then I found I had calories left over in the evening (I am on 1200) and was not happy about eating more in the evening; so now I sometimes put what I plan to eat in the diary, and then juggle things around so I get some protein and more carbs first thing in the morning; then maybe less carbs later in the day. It also helps if you log something and find it is way out of line with what you should be eating, you can delete it and NOT eat it - but once it's eaten you have to count it :laugh:

I usually double check the nutritional value of food items as sometimes it is way out!
  • hornseagirl
    hornseagirl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    yes I often fill it in in advance....gives me a better picture of caloroe intake that way. It also helps me decide whether i need more carb or fibre or protein in the last meal of the day xx
  • baxyboy
    baxyboy Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I log the food as I'm preparing it or about to eat it - either through the website when I'm at work or on my computer at home, or using the Android app the rest of the time.

If I didn't have the mobile app I would have really struggled to keep up with it, but being able to log food easily whenever I need to has just become part of the process for me eating now... I log the food as I prepare it, then eat it.
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I usually do my log in the morning, even though I plan my meals anywhere from 1-5 days ahead of time. I find doing it more than a day ahead of time doesn't help me stay on track as much as the daily refresher. And it DOES help greatly, in terms of planning snacks or outings.
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I try to fill it out as the day progresses, I am a stay at home kind of fella. Sometimes, I fill it in before I eat, sometimes after I eat. Usually finalize yesterdays food log the next morning.
  • jaynemaria
    jaynemaria Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I fill mine as I go, never know what Im going to eat depends on what takes my fancy, I'm on 1300 calories a day so usually aim at 200 for breakfast 400 for lunch and 500 for dinner and then use the rest for snacks, tea ,coffee etc. I also try to hild back 50 ish calories a day to compensate if I have used a little more milk in tea/coffee and squash.