are people THAT naive??...... yes they are

Options
13»

Replies

• lilchicksta94
    lilchicksta94 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Sorry this may sound mean but to me it's just laziness. If drinking shakes and juice really worked then everyone would be thin now wouldn't we?? lol It's impossible to live your life off of liquid diets. Instead of with approcaching her about counting calories you should tell her about living a healthy lifestyle. Even if she doesn't want to count everything she should know that eating a balanced diet with exercise is the best way to go if you want to maintain substantial weight loss. There is no quick fix. And it would frustrate me too if someone kept shooting me down after much success doing it the proper way :-)
  • Hezzakiah
    Hezzakiah Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in fad diets that you get all your nutrition from some type of shake. That said, my breakfast usually consists of a meal replacement shake with some fruit. I do this because I have a bad habit of skipping breakfast and taking my medicines and vitamins on an empty stomach. This also keeps me from reaching for the danish or donuts. The rest of my day is regular food and I watch what I eat. If I get close to running out of calories for the day, I find a way to get in another few minutes of exercise to balance things out,
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I happen to disagree with the OP on this one. You stated that your friend said counting calories didn't work for her. Why would she say it doesn't work if she has never tried it? How do you know she never tried it? Counting calories works just like any fad diet. Its a manual restriction of calories where your mind/behavior overrides your body's desire for food. It just so happens that you limit calories instead of food groups, but you are limiting your intake nonetheless.

The only diet that works is the one that doesn't drive the person crazy and become too tedious for them to maintain. If counting calories is a pain for someone, then its not going to work and they will fall off the wagon eventually. For some people eating whole foods or low-carb is a more effective strategy than calorie restriction because they are more satiating and less calorie dense and of course less need to track food intake. For others they like to eat anything they want, but restrict calories. Just depends on the person and hormones also play a role as to what foods they respond better to. The OP's friend needs to just keep looking for the right diet strategy that works for her.
  • MalibuBeth
    MalibuBeth Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I mean, I believe I would have a REALLY hard time doing this without MFP to help me. It makes counting calories effortless, and I am more inclined to eat healthier foods so I get more bang for my buck. It takes all the guesswork out, and i'm able to focus on other things in my life. Maybe she tried counting calories before, and was too lazy to stick with it having to do all that math.

Tell her to at least check out MFP, and she can take what she wants from it. Don't sell it as a calorie counting website, but a wellness website.

for some reason, seeing all the positive people, and making what i do public keeps me so much more accountable. Maybe if she sees that, she'll be more motivated and stick to it.
  • ludogx87
    ludogx87 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I happen to disagree with the OP on this one. You stated that your friend said counting calories didn't work for her. Why would she say it doesn't work if she has never tried it? How do you know she never tried it? Counting calories works just like any fad diet. Its a manual restriction of calories where your mind/behavior overrides your body's desire for food. It just so happens that you limit calories instead of food groups, but you are limiting your intake nonetheless.

shes my best friend so i get a blow by blow account of everything she does and diets shes tried.
    shes the kind of person that needs to see results fast, so she will count calories for 3 or 4 days and when she sees she only loses a pound throws in the towel.
    whereas doing the cambridge diet after 3 or 4 days doing it she was losing 4-5lbs.

Shes adament she doesnt have the time to count calories, she states shes tried it and it doesnt work.
    its a shame as she desperatly wants, and needs to loose weight. but she just isnt ready to put in the effort thats required.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

shes my best friend so i get a blow by blow account of everything she does and diets shes tried.
    shes the kind of person that needs to see results fast, so she will count calories for 3 or 4 days and when she sees she only loses a pound throws in the towel.
    whereas doing the cambridge diet after 3 or 4 days doing it she was losing 4-5lbs.

Shes adament she doesnt have the time to count calories, she states shes tried it and it doesnt work.
    its a shame as she desperatly wants, and needs to loose weight. but she just isnt ready to put in the effort thats required.

Ok but I still disagree with the the other part of your OP (see below). I must be naive because for about the past 10 years I've had 20-25 lbs that just won't go away and I have tried counting calories numerous times and all attempts failed in the long term because I couldn't sustain it. I found the low-carb / more whole food strategy to be the only thing that would work for me.

There isn't any diet that has a really good track record. The silver bullet hasn't been discovered yet.
    are some people really that naive that they think reducing your calories and watching your food intake doesnt help???
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest the rapid fat loss handbook by lyle mcdonald. It's an extreme diet, and not something that should be sustained long term, but as far as hardcore diets go it's the safest I've seen (I'm doing a modification of it now, I relaxed the rules a bit so I could maintain it for a longer period of time. 33 pounds in a month and a half thus far). It does involve counting calories but it's a relatively simple approach. It's also very blunt, and accounts for cheat meals and transitioning back to a more normal diet afterwards. She would likely see large upfront losses as well to keep her encouraged. Take it with a grain of salt, but I am coming from the experience of someone who can do extreme diets very easily but more moderate, healthy diets are much harder for me.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    there isn't an easy fix..there's no substitute for good nutrition coupled with exercise. to look good and be healthy you have to earn it.