Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Options
Tonight is my first class of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and I am super excited. I looked on the exercise calculator here and it says that 90 minutes will burn me over 1,300 calories. That can't be right! Does anyone else do this and what do you value your calorie burn at? I don't have a heart rate monitor, so I can't calculate it that way.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• dointhis4me
    dointhis4me Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You can still do some calculations. For a rough estimate I would suggest taking your heart rate every 15 mins. Try and remember how long your really strenuous actions were and what your heart rate was for a 5 or 10 sec interval. Then just add them to the best of your memory when you get home : ) I had the same trouble when I was in TKD... but this generally helped me out. If you're going to start off-machine exercises more, I would suggest getting a nice hrm! I'm dying to get one now that I'm jogging... and I know you're working towards a marathon!

PS., kick some *kitten* tonight!
  • ohiobjjguy
    ohiobjjguy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good luck - I've been training BJJ for 5 years and it changed my life. It's the greatest workout ever, you meet great people and you will find a new level of confidence that only comes from putting in 110% and knowing that you are working hard while developing real life self defense (and offense) skills. Good luck - let me know how it goes.
  • ohiobjjguy
    ohiobjjguy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    and BTW relating to the calories - in a 90 minute class you are training 60 minutes or so - only about 40 at a super hard pace - I usually count around 800 calories for a class but I'm a bigger guy - 229#.

Whatever you count it as - shoot for the low side and keep your diet log. and don't eat a couple of hours (I don't eat for 3 hours) before class - unless of course you want your training partner wearing your meal on his/her Gi.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It looks like OhioBJJGuy answered your questions. I trained in it for a few yeas with the Machado brothers back in the 90's. It is an amazing workout. It's also really fun! At this point in my life I'm 1) too busy and 2) too broke supporting my family to afford the lessons!

Good luck. You will love it!
  • blissy_girl
    blissy_girl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The class was amazing!! Thank you for everyone's advice :happy:
  • kaylajparsons
    Options
    I've been doing it for about 7 months. This is a tough one because it all depends on where you are taking the classes and if you are rolling/sparring yet. My schools warm ups are pretty tough. After we drill our techniques and start rolling, I guarantee I burn at least 1200 calories. It all depends on the circumstances, but I bet you burn at least 600 for sure.
  • Songbird1104
    Songbird1104 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Oh, it's so much fun! I can't actually answer your question, but I hope you love it! Great workout! Have a good time!