BMR?????????????/

Options
My BMR is 1612. I have a desk job for three days a week but do swimming for an hour twice a week and aerobic dancing for an hour twice a week therefore i would say i am lightly active?????

MFP limits me to 1200 calories per day which i try to stick to. I do eact my exercise calories back usally.

I am eating enough?

Replies

• JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary. But yes, if you are eating back some of your exercise calories then the answer should be yes.
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I would say you are sedentary. I have a desk job, workout hard for about an hour a day, 6 days a week and sometimes do 2 workouts per day. My job is still a sedentary job so that's what I use for my settings. I just add in my exercise calories when I exercise.

If all your settings are correct, then you're eating enough.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Nope! Your BMR is the MINIMUM calories your body would need to fuel itself just in a coma! You need to eat above it.

This calculator is terrific for figuring out how much you should eat. Put in your stats and it gives you a nice little chart with activity levels and what you should eat. Good luck :)

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • mamapuddin17
    mamapuddin17 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I thought you were suppose to eat at your BMR or above? MFP has me set at 1200 a day there is no way I can only have 1200 calories a day. I usually eat anywhere from 1300 to 1600 a day.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Are you losing weight? If you are, then what you're doing is working for you. If you're not, then it is time to re-evaluate.

What are your weekly weight loss goals? 2lbs? 1lb? .5lb? From what I've read, you shouldn't eat less than your BMR since your BMR is the basic number of calories your body needs just to live. Even with a sedentary lifestyle, your deficit should be created from your TDEE and not your BMR. Have you figured out your TDEE yet?

I would figure out your TDEE first. I know that the calculators out there are just guesstimates, but they are better than nothing (for what it's worth - my TDEE must be pretty dang close to the calculator estimates based on how many calories I can consume in a day and maintain my weight).

How much weight do you have to lose? The closer you are to your goal, the lower your weekly weight loss goals should be. If you're within 20lbs or so of your goal weight - there's no need to have your weekly loss goals set to 2lbs.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is the minimum amount you should be eating. I work a desk job and have my activity set to lightly active to account for how busy I am when I get home cooking/cleaning, etc because I pretty much don't rest until bed time. However I log all my exercise and eat back those calories as well - generally about 1800 a day is what I eat.
  • zontuin
    zontuin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I can see you joined last month (Jan 12) and your ticker says you lost 16 pounds. If you're lost that in the past month, then I'd say that you're losing weight too quickly. I'm not sure why MFP is giving you 1200, if you BMR says 1612. I agree that you should be eating a minimum of your BMR calories. Another question to ask yourself: how are you feeling? Have you been hungry? You should still feel okay/well, even when trying to lose. Good luck! :)
  • alex6971
    alex6971 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Are you losing weight? If you are, then what you're doing is working for you. If you're not, then it is time to re-evaluate.

What are your weekly weight loss goals? 2lbs? 1lb? .5lb? From what I've read, you shouldn't eat less than your BMR since your BMR is the basic number of calories your body needs just to live. Even with a sedentary lifestyle, your deficit should be created from your TDEE and not your BMR. Have you figured out your TDEE yet?

I would figure out your TDEE first. I know that the calculators out there are just guesstimates, but they are better than nothing (for what it's worth - my TDEE must be pretty dang close to the calculator estimates based on how many calories I can consume in a day and maintain my weight).

How much weight do you have to lose? The closer you are to your goal, the lower your weekly weight loss goals should be. If you're within 20lbs or so of your goal weight - there's no need to have your weekly loss goals set to 2lbs.

My TDEE is 2216 but to be honest I have no idea what this means!!!!!

I have been losing weight but sometimes I feel really hungry.
  • alex6971
    alex6971 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I can see you joined last month (Jan 12) and your ticker says you lost 16 pounds. If you're lost that in the past month, then I'd say that you're losing weight too quickly. I'm not sure why MFP is giving you 1200, if you BMR says 1612. I agree that you should be eating a minimum of your BMR calories. Another question to ask yourself: how are you feeling? Have you been hungry? You should still feel okay/well, even when trying to lose. Good luck! :)

I lost 11lbs in the first week but to be honest I originally weighed myself the day after the New Year and also think alot of it was water. I have steadily lost 1-2 pounds per week since then.

I am happy with the weight loss but after suffering for an eating disorded before I want to make sure I am eating enough for my body.

I feel happy in myself. I feel hungry some days and not others. Just think 1200 per day is a bit extreme!!!!!
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Try eating at your BMR and your exercise calories. If your BMR is over 1600 than you're pretty much undereating by 400 calories a day! MFP originally set me at a calorie goal of 1200 as well. Far too low for the majority of people! I changed mine to my BMR (about 1700) and eat my exercise calories back and lose every week.