Pickled Eggs

Options
I just made a batch of wonderful Pickled Eggs.

1) Boil some eggs ( I did 3 dozen). Make sure they aren't fresh from the chicken otherwise they are impossible to peel. I get mine from the local farmer's market. Let them hang out in the fridge for at least 5-7 days. The older an egg is the easier it will peel. You can also add a little bit of vinegar to the water as you boil the eggs.

2) The brine for the eggs to soak in: I use Apple Cider Vinegar. Just make sure you use 5% acidity. Any vinegar will work. You will need to completely cover the eggs with the brine so pick a GLASS jar that can hold all your eggs and enough room for brine.
For 3 dozen eggs:
6 cups of Apple Cider Vinegar
3 cups of Distilled water
1/2 cup sugar (Yeh I know - SUGAR?!?!?. Without it, the brine makes the eggs too sour - trust me)
1oz of whole cloves
2 Tbls dill weed
Thinly sliced ginger root - about 2 "thumb" sizes

Bring to a rolling boil then let simmer for 15 minutes, stirring a few times.

3) Put eggs into jar, pour brine solution over until full. I use plastic wrap on top of the jar opening before I seal the lid.

4) You can add fresh carrots (sliced), pearl onions, jalapenos, anything you want. Just make sure it's FRESH! The fresher the veggies the better! For spicy eggs, add tabasco or red pepper flakes.

5) Keep it refridgerated for at LEAST 7 days before eating. I leave mine soaking for a month before I eat them. They can last this way for up to 4 months. If you know how to jar preserves (jams & jellies), you can apply the same technique and your pickled eggs can last for a very long time. Some people leave them out on the counter, but I leave mine in the fridge so they last longer. Once you open the jar, plan on eating them in about 4 months time. I keep 2 batches on hand, in rotation.

Calories 80 (334 kJ)
Total Fat 5.5g
Sat. Fat 2g
Cholesterol 210mg
Total Carbs. 0g
Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugars 0g
Protein 7.5g

Replies

• Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    sounds good :) i have a recipe for my great-aunties spicy pickled eggs, but you dont heat the brine or put em in the fridge. reminds me i should make some soon ;D
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to try pickled eggs. Thanks for the recipe, I'll definitely use it!
  • divamsm
    divamsm Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm going to try this!
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i love pickled eggs, but have never tried making them my self. love pickled garlic too...mmmm
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Love eggs, gotta try this.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    The first time I saw a pickled egg, I was disturbed. Deeply, deeply disturbed.

I tried one, and am a convert! They are amazing!

Will try this. Thanks for sharing.
  • mollyjackson82
    Options
    I love pickeled eggs but need to find a recipe that makes them taste like the kind you get in bars....haven't found one that compares yet. our grocery store sells them but making is so much cheaper!
  • tenessaa
    tenessaa Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    love pickled eggs!
  • 3rdxacharm
    3rdxacharm Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You can take peeled boiled eggs and soak in a jar of left over pickle juice. Yummy!
  • jfcameron23
    jfcameron23 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    They are good with fresh garlic cloves thrown in the brine too! Also a good trick to make is easier to peel boiled eggs...after boiling and draining throw a bunch of ice cubes in the pan, some cold water and stick the pan in the freezer for a few minutes. This prevents the membrane from adhearing to the egg.:wink:
  • beckywilkinson46
    Options
    Thanks, I will definately try this....
  • quickfin
    quickfin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    sounds tempting