What kind of gloves should I get?

Options
Well, I've officially reached the point where I need to get some gloves for lifting. My hands are starting to scream at me. :(

I've got limited shopping options here - Walmart, Zellers, and a store that sells stuff primarily for biking/running. In the spring I'm planning a trip to the city to get some new gear, but in the meantime I need something that will help me avoid chafing & calluses, but won't get in my way. Any tips on what to look for?

Replies

• KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Anyone? Just looking for "been there done that" ... as in fabric, style, how they should fit?

(Looking forward to the day when I can actually go to a fitness store and ask such things in person. lol)
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Walmart sells weight liftig gloves...they are fingerless and have some padding on the palm...they aren't bad....just make sure they fit your hand...you want them snug so they don't slip around....
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    no gloves. :p

Try chalk. works a charm, seriously. Helps a lot...
    I do all pulling exercises with chalk these days. With some weight over twice my bodyweight. No issues.
    Though in saying that...i'm probably conditioned to it, LOL.

If its really interfering with your training, i'd use something from Xpower. My mate talks highly of these.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    no gloves. :p

Try chalk. works a charm, seriously. Helps a lot...
    I do all pulling exercises with chalk these days. With some weight over twice my bodyweight. No issues.
    Though in saying that...i'm probably conditioned to it, LOL.

If its really interfering with your training, i'd use something from Xpower. My mate talks highly of these.

So that helps with the bar chafing your palms? You probably don't have soft girly hands like I do... LOL But I'll look for that, thanks :flowerforyou: I read something last night that said even with gloves, calluses would be inevitable. :grumble:
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    calluses, they are free. Just kidding. try googling or look on bodybuilding .com they have a bunch of weight lifting stuff on there.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I bought these in about November of last year: http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-Womens-Meshback-Lifting-Gloves/dp/B001E6L95Y/ref=sr_1_70?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1329236868&sr=1-70

They were cheap and they work well, but I think I'm going to get a new pair soon. I like the mesh because air can get to my hands, but I'd like for there to be a wrist strap on them. Also, the mesh is starting to unravel at the thumb on the right hand. It's not a big deal since I got them more to protect my palms, but it's annoying.

The problem is a lot of the women's gloves don't have any strap on the wrist. Instead, they just end at the heel of the hand. That's fine if you're not lifting heavy weights, but I am and that support would be nice.

Here's an article on how to select gloves: http://www.livestrong.com/article/23036-choose-weightlifting-gloves/

I'm replacing my old pair with these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00074H67E/ref=ox_ya_os_product