Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

suggestions to go with my baked sweet potato??

ninaellis
ninaellis Posts: 60
edited September 19 in Recipes
Hi,
I lovebaked sweet potatoes as they don't need butter!! But what can I have with it???
Some times I have it as part of my main meal but would like suggestions for good things to have with one for lunch.
Obviously cheese & beans are out of the question!!:laugh: And I'm not sure coleslaw would go!!!
Can anyone save me from eating it plain????:flowerforyou:

Replies

• expressbug
    expressbug Posts: 100
    I like to put cinnamon on mine. You could have soup with it.
  • I had roasted sweet potato salad with asparagus at the weekend and just a bit of fat free vinagerette, was LOVELY! Might be worth a try.
  • 9tattoos
    9tattoos Posts: 46 Member
    I like to make fries. Little olive oil, and some seasoning, salt and pepper.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    I spray aluminum foil with a little olive oil spray, sprikle with dry rosemary/ garlic seasoning and bake. The flavor is wonderful. I normally bake a few at a time for leftovers.

How about some salsa on top for something different?
  • ninaellis
    Ooh lots of good idea's! Thank you :flowerforyou:

Today I tried low fat sour cream & chive on top, which worked pretty well!!

Thanks for the suggestions x
  • erovey
    erovey Posts: 6
    Maybe try a mango salsa or a sweeter salsa - I think it would go well with the flavor of sweet potatoes.
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    One of my favorite meals ever is sweet potato & chicken. . . All I do is roast the sweet potatoes, mash em, add a baked chicken breast (cut up), mix it all together... and voila. Yummy low cal tasty meal. Kind of weird though I know, lol.
  • ninaellis
    One of my favorite meals ever is sweet potato & chicken. . . All I do is roast the sweet potatoes, mash em, add a baked chicken breast (cut up), mix it all together... and voila. Yummy low cal tasty meal. Kind of weird though I know, lol.

Not weird at all!!! I love it!! & have that for a dinner with a side salad.:happy:
  • heathcox
    heathcox Posts: 22
    I like to put cinnamon on mine. You could have soup with it.

Me too. It's like dessert! :smile:
  • I like to make fries. Little olive oil, and some seasoning, salt and pepper.

YES!! I cut it into wedges season as above, and bake at 425 for about 30 min. The best ever! Saw this on Racheal Ray the other day, and I am hooked now. :love: Even my DH, who is not dieting was about to dump ketchup on them, and I asked him to taste them first and he LOVED them just as they were. No further seasoning or sauces needed. I am going to the store to buy some more sweet potatoes today! lol.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    i feel like sour cream would taste good on it...but others may disagree.
  • AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    I had roasted sweet potato salad with asparagus at the weekend and just a bit of fat free vinagerette, was LOVELY! Might be worth a try.

OOOO that sounds yummy!:bigsmile:
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    I'm thinking shredded chicken with Honey BBQ sauce.

210557.png
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    I think broccoli with a tiny bit of low cal cheese would be great. But then I add broccoli to everything.
  • tamawamara
    tamawamara Posts: 224 Member
    Broccoli with the sweet potato sounds really good.... As does the cinnamon.I love sweet potato fries....I like a nice piece of broiled salmon with mine too,topped with a low sodium teriyaki sauce. One of my absolute faves!Fresh steamed green beans are good with it too!( sweet potatoes or salmon... and .which like someone said also a sweet fruity salsa)Mmmmm...Getting hungry!
  • jgray01
    jgray01 Posts: 1
    Mix it with cinnamon and a some crushed pineapple (the kind that comes in water and not syrup.) It gives it a surprising sweet taste without the guilt of a ton of brown sugar or marshmallows.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    I'm thinking shredded chicken with Honey BBQ sauce.

210557.png

oh my that does sound really really good!
  • lld20
    lld20 Posts: 9
    My hubby makes the sweet potato fries but, he uses nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice. We eat them with lean turkey burgers with veggies or salad.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    I top mine w/ cottage cheese & cinnamon (could use a little sweetener if you like). YUMMY, like a dessert!!

They're also good cooked in foil on the grill, spritzed with olive oil and then sprinkled w/ seasoned salt. I love doing that with a grilled chicken breast.
  • Hi, I put salsa on my microwaved sweet potato - the sweet and hot go together nicely
This discussion has been closed.