Walking on the treadmill is so boring. Any suggestions?

Options
For those of you who walk on a treadmill for exercise, what do you do to make the time go by faster? I hate just watching the seconds tick by as I'm walking. It seems to go soooo slow.

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Try making a little game of it. I don't usually walk, but even when I'm jogging or running, I'll increase the speed or incline every few minutes. Then switch it up again a few minutes later. Breaking it up into segments really helps me. I also listen to music and jam out :) Treadmills can be REALLY boring, I try to get my runs in outside as often as possible.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I like trying to beat my distance each time I go. Kinda fun. Otherwise, MUSIC! Or if there are tvs, that helps too. Anything so I don't watch the time! I've even read magazines. Don't get as good as a workout usually, but it gets me through it!
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I hang my ipad over the top and play Slotomania. :bigsmile: I also have a Sony reader which I can hold in one hand and read. (the Ipad is too far away to read) Not the best form for the treadmill but I'm getting the work out in.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Music also makes a huge difference for me. I loaded up my mp3 player with some classic rock and other music which keeps me going.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    If your fitness allows it I suggest doing intervals of different types of exercises. When I go on the tredmill, I'll run for 30, walk on an incline for 5, run for 5, etc. I'm constantly changing what I'm doing. Increasing/decreasing speed, increasing/decreasing the incline.

Increase your speed every so often or up the incline in intervals. Even if you can't go that pace for long, it may help add a little extra calorie burn and help make the time go by faster. If you break things down in groups of 5 minutes the work out will fly by.

I've never done it but I've also seen many people walk sideways, backwards, do lunges etc. while on the tredmill to work different muscle groups.

Hope this helps!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Try making a little game of it. I don't usually walk, but even when I'm jogging or running, I'll increase the speed or incline every few minutes. Then switch it up again a few minutes later. Breaking it up into segments really helps me. I also listen to music and jam out :) Treadmills can be REALLY boring, I try to get my runs in outside as often as possible.
    I agree. When I can't go outside, which is an common situation in winter in this part of the country, I will break it into small segments and change the speed and/or incline. Music helps. TV helps. But ultimately, it's still boring.
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have Netflix on my phone and I watch a 45-minute show every time I walk. I also read my Kindle if I am into a really good book.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have a TV in the same room.

Hook up the xbox or whatever to it, and watch Netflix.

When I used to run I would watch a movie to help me ignore the time.
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of cruel to myself but it works for me....I hung a mirror up in front of my treadmill so I can see myself. I run in a sports bra so i can see all my "problem areas" jiggling when i run. It really motivates me to run longer than I normally would. Kinda weird though :laugh:
  • Wendi_S
    Wendi_S Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I love love love using the treadmill! To me nothing is better than tuning out the world and just focusing on me for a bit. I have to have my iPod - loud- and with great music. Here is what my usual workout consists of....

I start out at 0% incline and a speed of 3.6. I do this for two minutes. After the two minutes are up I start increasing the incline by 2% every 2 minutes until I reach 12%. I stay at 12% for four minutes then start decreasing the incline by 2% every four minutes back to 0%. After that is done I do the same thing with speed. Starting at 3.6 and increasing it by 2 every two minutes until I get to about 5.6 or so. Sometimes I'll go longer sometimes I'll repeat the inclines instead of doing the speed. It all depends on how I am feeling.

This way I can focus on the two minute marks rather than how long I have left.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Music and TV. I will put my ipod playlist on and then turn on ESPN.
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Music works well. If you need visual stimulation, some treadmills allow you to watch tv shows or movies while you're on them. If yours doesn't, is there a tv nearby you could watch while running?
  • For_the_Last_Time
    For_the_Last_Time Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Agree with either TV or Music..... I am doing couch25k so I need the counter to know when its time to switch but if I am just walking I will cover the counter so that I am not staring at it.
  • KDWS
    KDWS Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Audiobooks!!! That way I don't have to turn pages or hold book flat etc!!
  • knrob
    knrob Posts: 65
    Options
    interval training for sure...my gym has a few treadmills that have a set 20 min program, that will increase the speed & incline, its adjustable, if the setting is too high or fast, but i'm so enjoying it...it forces me to go faster for 30 secs or more, where if i had to do it manually, i'd probably stop sooner. Ask at your gym if they have any of those types.

9766141.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    TV?
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have Netflix on my phone and I watch a 45-minute show every time I walk. I also read my Kindle if I am into a really good book.

That's a great idea! I just got a new Android phone like a week ago. I wonder if I can get Netflix on my phone. That would be awesome. Thanks!
  • rayleansout
    Options
    ipod video, watch music vids, or movies, or listen to music, best toy I own, Hum well almost!!
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Intervals if time allows. Music an absolute must. Use a towel to cover the screen and don't let yourself look until x number of songs play. I also use the motivation that this is the best calorie burning machine in the gym and I want to maximize my time for the greatest calorie burn.
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    TV?

My treadmill is in the dining room. No TV in there : (