Walking on the treadmill is so boring. Any suggestions?

Options

Replies

• eryn415
    eryn415 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I watch shows on my laptop. I get the DVDs from netflix, and I ONLY let myself watch when I am on the treadmill. First I watched all the seasons of Dexter, then Breaking Bad, and now I am working on True Blood. I always pick hour long shows to keep me motivated.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Go outside.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Cover the clock.

I just listen to music.
  • runninggirl54
    Options
    i like to read or watch tv when i am on the treadmill
  • ShawnaCurley
    ShawnaCurley Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I watch a good movie! I was on my treadmill the other day and before I knew it 45 minutes passed and I didn't even realize it. It helps alot!!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Must have music. Music that makes me want to run.

I have the TV on, too, but can't hear it. Just like to have the picture on. Usually have Law & Order on (I've seen them all anyway, so know what's going on).
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Warm up at an average pace, then jack the speed up to 5-6mph, run until I'm gonna die, back to walking speed, recover, jack up the speed again. Intervals. Add incline after a bit so my calves are aching.

I love running outside a lot more though.

I am a numbers junkie, so I will usually say "I am going to run until ___ distance" or "____ calories" or "___ miles" ..whatever will keep me going. Then when I reach it, "Ooookay, I've got a little more juice in me, let's make it THIS even number" etc.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    When I was able to use a treadmill, I had it set up right in front of the TV. I would record shows that I really liked and watch them as I walked, usually for an hour.

Oh, after I got really good at it, I would read a good book as I walked.
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I think there must be something wrong with me. I watch every cooking show known to man while on the treadmill. For some odd reason it motivates.
  • KarateGoddess
    KarateGoddess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I run, or use an eliptical, or take classes at the gym (the dance classes are fun but I love cardio kick classes), and I'm a martial artist which helps loads when I'm bored! LOL Music helps pass the time but I'm sure you have that.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    If your fitness allows it I suggest doing intervals of different types of exercises.

I agree with this. You definitely need music too...fill an iPod with music that keeps you moving...
  • Missmaggieann
    Missmaggieann Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Can you relocate your treadmill? I watch biggest loser when Im on my elliptical, very motivating.
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Go outside.

If I wanted to go outside and walk I wouldn't have just spent over $400 on a new treadmill : )
    Plus, it's about 20 degrees right now. No thanks.
  • phoebelea
    Options
    I have my MP3 player with Kathy Smith Walk Fit program on it. It keeps you moving and coaches you as you go. You can download her walk tapes off the internet. She has interval training, where you walk 3 minutes to great music and then walk really really fast to 3 minutes of great music. It goes on like this for a half and hour or an hour whatever you want to do. Keeps me going
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    If I am going to run for an hour, I try to time myself so I can watch a 1 hour show during my run. If I am just going to run for a 1/2 hour or close to that, I set up a play list for that amount of time. Sometimes, I am bored out of my mind, but I have to get it done.

I am looking forward to taking my runs back outside. Where I can run myself 3 miles away from my house, so I can run myself back.
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Videos!

I also watch the people outside walk on by in the cold.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I have Netflix on my phone and I watch a 45-minute show every time I walk. I also read my Kindle if I am into a really good book.

If you have an iPhone, iPad or e-reader, use them to get the time to pass by. I prefer to be outside as well. I usually listen to music and sometimes try to Facebook while I am on the treadmill/arc/elliptical. Trying to do Facebook while you are moving is difficult so I usually just read. In grad school I would do all my reading on the treadmill. I think I would have had better grades undergrad had I done the same LOL
  • thpeek
    thpeek Posts: 76
    Options
    I have a workout room with my elliptical, treadmill,bike, weights, cables, Wii, etc.... I DVR my favorite shows and the only way I allow myself TV time is if I am working out, it keeps me motivated and the time goes by soooo fast, I usually do 2 hours Cardio per day.
  • amehime
    amehime Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    weight loss podcasts and audiobooks help keep me motivated and distract me so the time flies.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    When things are boring I tend to listen to the Sarah and Vinnie Secret show (look it up on itunes.. its a podcast.)