Venting - HUGE losses in short time

Options
I am not a small person. In fact, I am still quite a ways from being out of the obese category, even after losing about 40 lbs. Most of the time I find the success stories inspiring but sometimes it just ticks me off. Yes, I'm a bit jealous at the rate MANY people are losing weight (I'm averaging about 1 lb per week), but at the same time...how can that be healthy? How can people lose 5 lbs per week for extended periods of time? And then I see lots of people congratulating them and I just want to say...NO! It's too fast and unhealthy!

But I don't LOL...so instead, I'll just vent here :-)

Replies

• hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I think the larger you are, the more weight you can lose safely. The first week I started on MFP after having my daughter I lost 9 lbs, most of it just excess water. Everybody is different and everyones journey on here is different. I wouldn't let some random internet person's weight floss affect your own. Losing 1 pound a weeek is healthy for you.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course people can lose a lot of weight the first few weeks. I get that. What I'm talking about is people that lose 100 pounds in 5 months. These people are not necessarily 400 pounds at the start either. Many/most of them have reached their goal weight by then. I just don't get how that is even remotely healthy.
  • angel_north
    angel_north Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    One pound a week is a safe loss and you will more than likely keep it off. In the long run, I do think that it is your goal. Diet once, loose it once and be healthy. Big loss is not healthy and in my heart they will be back in this room asking Why am I gaining it all back?
  • hsnider29
    Options
    Just realized my typo! Maybe it isnt healthy and maybe it I'd. Maybe they will gain all the weight back. I know before I ever started on Mfp, I would just reduce my food intake, eat more fruits and veggies and exercise more. Could I have possibly been in too large of a deficit? Of course, but I didn't know that at the time and would have been upset if someone thought I was being unhealthy about my weight loss endeavor.
  • lucentabella
    lucentabella Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Uck! My coworker just tried to convince me her husband lost 20 lbs in 10 days by drinking this powder formula and taking three herbal pills a day. Then, she went on to say he was able to eat whatever he wanted b/c the powder formula and pills made his body burn the fat. It's that plexus slim stuff. She wanted myself and others to go to some plexus slim class. I guess she wants to start selling it. No thank you! I don't even know how it would be possible for someone to healthily lose 20 lbs in 10 days. This is the 3rd time she's tried to get us to buy into this crap about how quickly her husband lost so much weight.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I always in the past lost 42lbs in 3 months I hope I will this time,this is why I dont go to slimming groups as the leader always over praises the person with the big loss and everyone else who worked as hard and lost much less doesnt get any congrats
    We all lose differently men always lose fast and women usually lose fast when younger Age Im afraid really does slow everything down x
  • Wildgirl10
    Options
    I've actually unfriended people who "say" they have lost 30 or more pounds in less than 30 days. I'm a larger girl too..and if that was the case I would be dropping more than 1lb a week. So rather than see these self defeating posts of people that weigh themselves multiple times throughout the day..I just block them or unfriend them. I want my expectations to be realistic and I don't want to have to compare myself to others who I think are really not being honest or healthy. I have been athletic my whole life so while the scale is not tipping yet as much as I want it to..my legs are getting leaner and toner and I feel so much stronger.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I had 30 pounds to lose total and it took me just about a year due to two lengthy plateaus that I couldn't shake. When I do the math, I averaged 0.5 lb/week. So your 1 lb/week looks pretty good to me! Losing slowly might help us out in the long run, as I have fought hard to get where I am. No way am I backsliding!
  • lukin128
    Options
    You shouldn't get hung up on what other people are losing, you'll drive yourself crazy!!
    Just remember that anything you lose, however small, is a brilliant achievement :wink:
  • Judway
    Judway Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I think the larger you are, the more weight you can lose safely. The first week I started on MFP after having my daughter I lost 9 lbs, most of it just excess water. Everybody is different and everyones journey on here is different. I wouldn't let some random internet person's weight floss affect your own. Losing 1 pound a weeek is healthy for you.

this is a total misconception thinking the larger a person the more weight you lose safely...it just is not true
  • ExtraT
    ExtraT Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with you all. I'm glad that I am losing weight slowly and carefully. Plus I don't think that I could ever go on a 'starvation' type of diet (lighter life etc) as I would miss food so much. I just love it (I even work for a food company!)
    I still get to eat things I love, but MFP has taught me about moderation (I can't quite believe it myself!) and I'm in this for the long haul. I am never going to wear my fat jeans ever again!
  • hsnider29
    Options

this is a total misconception thinking the larger a person the more weight you lose safely...it just is not true

It isn't really a misconception. A larger person can safely lose 2 pounds a week. There is no way I could lose that much in a week safely. I am for 0.5lb-1lb a week. I do not mean that it is safe to lose 20 pounds in a month.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course people can lose a lot of weight the first few weeks. I get that. What I'm talking about is people that lose 100 pounds in 5 months. These people are not necessarily 400 pounds at the start either. Many/most of them have reached their goal weight by then. I just don't get how that is even remotely healthy.

Are these people you are talking about typically men? I think that has a lot to do with the rapid and consistent weight loss you are talking about.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Are these people you are talking about typically men? I think that has a lot to do with the rapid and consistent weight loss you are talking about.

No, not necessarily. I tend to ignore the men in general because it's so different for them.
  • Sexyf28
    Sexyf28 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person and what diet works for them. Think about The Biggest Loser - they all lose HUGE amounts each week. I tried Dr. Bernstein and can lose 20 - 30 pounds each month. For me, I have over 200 pounds to lose. If I lost 1 pound per week - I'd go crazy. I don't have the patience to do it that slowly. I need something for a "kick start" so that I can get to a point where I'm able to excercise and have more energy.
  • itsMeFred
    Options
    I agree. There is an old saw that losing more than 2lbs per week is "unsafe." That's really not true, ala Biggest Loser, Atkins, etc. However, it might not be SUSTAINABLE. And that's important to remember. Sustainable weight loss is what we want to see. Not huge losses (and all too often, regains!)
    Trying to lose more than 2 is usually self-defeating. But it's not actually dangerous... There's no scientific evidence of this.
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have been losing about 10lbs every 30 days. I have a lot to loose (still have 127lbs to go) and I have been told that the bigger you the more quickly the weight seems to go until you hit a certain point. I think the reason for that is now that I'm counting calories, the amount of food I eat has been DRASTICALLY reduced.

For some, they have always eaten fairly normal sized meals, but perhaps not the healthiest sort of meals. Or maybe they just never moved off their couch. For them, I think losing weight is a little harder because they already had portion size under control, now it is excercise and eating healthy.

I don't know. I'm no expert. This is just observations from my life talking here.. But I have to say I do move around WAY more than I ever did before, and my meals are so much smaller. I had CARROTS for lunch today. Three months ago I would have had a double quarterpounder with cheese, a large fry and large Coke. It makes a difference.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I know how hard it is when you're losing slowly to see " friends " losing really fast. I have a few friends who are losing 10+ pounds a week ( over 400 pounds to start, taking doctor approved shots, gastric bypass, etc )

If it bothers you, defriend them!

I'm losing just about 2 pounds a week, and I am working my *kitten* off for every bit of it. I go to the gym 5 nights a week, I eat MUCH better food, etc.
  • danagisana
    danagisana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had 30 pounds to lose total and it took me just about a year due to two lengthy plateaus that I couldn't shake. When I do the math, I averaged 0.5 lb/week. So your 1 lb/week looks pretty good to me! Losing slowly might help us out in the long run, as I have fought hard to get where I am. No way am I backsliding!

Hi
    this might be off topic but could you share with us how you broke through the plateaus? I haven't only lost one lb since Christmas and it is killing me. thanks
  • giggles1973
    giggles1973 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I agree it's annoying lol I have like 10 more lbs to lose and it's taking forever. But this is your own journey so I wouldn't compare yourself to anybody. Do what feels right for you and 1 lb a week is really good!!!! I wish! I'm more like .5 so you are doing great:flowerforyou: