Poll: Is it Rude to Question the Waiter When Out To Lunch Wi

Options

Replies

• jatiger83
    jatiger83 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Responsible, screw anyone who thinks otherwise! there is nothing wrong with someone wanting to know what they are about to eat! :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You can do whatever you want. You are health conscious. Another person will ask the waiter questions b/c they are picky eaters. Another person will ask because of food allergies. You did nothing wrong. Ask away!
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Responsible.
    Tell your coworkers to pay attention to their own eating habits, and leave your healthy ones alone.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I was reminded of this while reading another post, and would like to know what y'all think:

A couple years ago, I was out to lunch with coworkers and it was time to order. I asked how the chicken was cooked, to make sure it wasn't fried, and when it came time for the salad, asked the waiter what the dressings were. He listed them off, and I selected one. Then he asked about my sides, and I asked if the day's veggies were grilled. He told me, and I finished my order.

I was feeling really good about my healthy selection when a coworker leaned over and said, "Do you ALWAYS do that every time you eat out?" I looked at her (having no clue what she was talking about) and said, "Do what? What did I do?" She and the guys at the table fidgeted, and it wasn't until later that I realized, "Oh, she must mean my asking about the food options."

What do you think? Rude or Responsible?

I think it's weird that they would think that's weird. I aske questions all the time, and when I was a server it was my job to know about the food so that I could answer questions as part of my job.
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Okay, I ALWAYS do that. I think it's worth being a pain if it keeps you healthy. Besides, it's kinda their job to give the customer what they want, is it not? If you're not at mcDonald's where everything is deep fried anyway, then you sure as hell can make choices so your food doesn't end up that way.
  • jackiejax1981
    jackiejax1981 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Totally NOT rude! ANd I agree with the person who was a server, as I was forever also. LOL. People are just insecure and want to maintain some sort of 'image' at the table, or are just plain passive, or just freak out when someone doesn't do exactly the same thing they do. It's important to ask questions! As long as you're not being rude or demanding and inconsiderate, ask away!!!
  • brettle1
    brettle1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Not Rude at all! We are paying for the food that is being prepared, so we should know what we are getting...and get what we pay for. I do it all the time and if I get good answers and everything is how I asked....the server is rewarded with a little extra on the tip :-)
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Not rude at all , that is supposed to be the waiter's job .
    I went to a restaurant in Mexico where only Spanish was spoken and rattled of my order in great detail in my best broken Spanish .......... to the hostess ! Now that was rude.
  • Lilith8984
    Lilith8984 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It was absolutely responsible of you...The waiters/waitresses are there to take your food order as well to be knowledgeable about how the food is prepared/cooked...The food is going into your body, you have a right to know what the food you are about to eat was cooked in.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I was reminded of this while reading another post, and would like to know what y'all think:

A couple years ago, I was out to lunch with coworkers and it was time to order. I asked how the chicken was cooked, to make sure it wasn't fried, and when it came time for the salad, asked the waiter what the dressings were. He listed them off, and I selected one. Then he asked about my sides, and I asked if the day's veggies were grilled. He told me, and I finished my order.

I was feeling really good about my healthy selection when a coworker leaned over and said, "Do you ALWAYS do that every time you eat out?" I looked at her (having no clue what she was talking about) and said, "Do what? What did I do?" She and the guys at the table fidgeted, and it wasn't until later that I realized, "Oh, she must mean my asking about the food options."

What do you think? Rude or Responsible?

Responsible. I do that every. Single. Time. I go out to eat. Also, I'm gluten intolerant, so I'm a special kind of pain in the *kitten* to go out to eat with :)

As long as you're polite, the servers don't care, and the chefs don't really mind. Plus, if your server is super accommodating, you're more likely to tip well, and servers like that :)
  • hsmithway
    Options
    Responsible!

Though if my friends and I ask a bunch of questions, I do usually tip a little more generously for the extra time and effort.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    So long as you don't go all Sally from When Harry Met Sally in the pie scene, you're perfect love!
    Respect for your body and for the server will only benefit you in your journey.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Not rude at all. and I used to be a server.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I think asking is totally responsible, I will go as far as asking what they use in their recipes - marinades etc... not for specifics like a table spoon of this or w/e but I have such weird food allergies I like knowing what is in the food I am about to eat - especially if it is a place that I haven't been to before.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I do that most of time!!! My local Italian restaurant now remember to leave the butter off the vegetables and put less cheese on the pizza! ; )

I do see some people wince when I do it, but I don't see a problem. I was a waitress when I was student and wouldn't bat an eyelid at someone asking me details of how the food was cooked or make reasonable adjustments to the meals.

Not exactly relevant but I do remember having a verbal tussle with the woman behind the McDonald's counter when I asked for a salad. She kept asking; "Do you want that in a bun or a wrap?"
    Me: "In a box"
    Her: "Bun or wrap"
    Me: Box, a salad in a box
    Her: A bun??
    Me: No, a box

...this went on for ages, I could sense my boyfriend wincing beside me! ; ) :flowerforyou:
  • chanalea
    Options
    Personally I dont think its rude, but to keep from having incidents like that you should inform your coworkers or the waiter that you are dieting and there are certain things u can have. Just to keep people from looking at u crazy & questioning u. i know i have to inform people before I go out just so they wont think Im trying to be a butthead.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    its called being smart! You want to know what you are putting in your body! Your friends should follow suit. Maybe next time order last so everyone's attention isnt on you??
  • mdebbie1026
    mdebbie1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It's the waiter's job to tell you most of the answers if the menu does not specify. If you have questions, you certainly do have the right to ask how the food is being prepared that you will be paying for. I say it is better to ask than to wait till it comes and send it back because it was not what you expected. It was rude of your lunch bunch to state/imply that you were being rude.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    You want to buy what you want, not whatever is put before you.
    (I'm the one who asks if I can substitute something else for french fries. )
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    You're the one putting that stuff in your body. They are serving YOU and most times, places will cater to you, so take it! If they have a problem with it, tell them to kiss your grits. Haha. :-p

Seriously though. They are getting paid to take your order. It's better to get specifics and get what you really want than to send it back to the kitchen and then have them spit in your food.