Wanted: Brussels Sprouts Recipes

Replies

• my family l oves these and you can modify the bacon the olive oil pretty much just stays on the pan. This is my recipe.

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
    * garlic clove chopped well
    * 1/4 onion
    * bacon
    * 3 tablespoons good olive oil
    * 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 415 degrees F.

Cut off the ends of the brussels sprouts and pull off the yellow outer leaves and cut in half length wise. Warm the olive oil, onion, garlic, salt
    and pepper. Add to brussel sprouts. Let sit for an hour in covered bowl. While waiting pre cook bacon about 1/2 way drain off fat and set aside covered.
    Pour them on a sheet pan and roast for 25 to 30 minutes, (stiring around every 10 min or so) until browned on the outside and soft on the inside.
    Sprinkle with more kosher salt and serve immediately.
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Roasted is my fave, but I look forward to seeing other responses!
  • jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
    mmmm mmmm! Love brussel sprouts!
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Cut an X into the base (this will help to cook evenly) and steam for 5-10 min. Then saute with a small amount of butter, pearl onions and a tiny bit of bacon cut into small pieces.
    I know, I know butter and bacon is bad but use is sparingly and they will make a huge difference.
  • roast with coconut oil, italian herbs and cinnamon. aaaamazing.
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    I take fresh brussel sprouts and blanch them in boiling water for about 1 min (just enough to be bright green). Then I pat them dry and put them on a baking sheet. You can drizzle a little bit of olive oil on them if you want to, but you don't have to, and add salt, pepper, and rosemary (you could use thyme or garlic too). Roast them on 400 for about 20-30 mins (until they start to get brown). To finish them off, splash them w/ a good balsamic vinegar. They are super yummy. Hope you have a great dinner!
    This is how my husband cooks them. They are super yummy.
  • EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    Roasted or grilled is best. My fave has been to roast sprouts in pan drippings from a rib roast, but a simple EVOO, garlic, S&P and rosemary works perfectly. Usually cut them in half if you want to roast fast or if they are big.

Sauteed, I shred them like cabbage slaw, again season with evoo, garlic, and S&P. Pairs well with mushrooms.
  • flamegirl72
    flamegirl72 Posts: 143 Member
    Best brussels sprouts recipe ever. Makes a large batch so can be reduced.

-cut hard stems off of 2lbs of fresh brussels sprouts and cut in half.
    -toss with 1TBSP EVOO and 1tsp sea salt
    -roast on parchment paper covered cookie sheet in 425 degree oven for 20 minutes turning once.

in the mean time combine 2tbs balsamic vinegar and 1tbsp pure maple syrup over medium heat stirring frequently until mixture reduces and thickens

remove brussels sprouts from oven and gently toss in balsamic/maple glaze.

These are FANTASTIC and even those in my family who hate brussels sprouts LOVE these :)
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Shredded and sauteed with EVOO, garlic and ****ake Mushrooms....

Are you kidding me? This site censored your mushrooms since the have the word *kitten*??
  • foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    Cut in half and cut off the bottom ends

rub with duck fat and salt

put in a pre heated 500 degree oven for about 20 min, stirring them around and flipping them over every so often

drizzle with balsamic when they are done

OH MY! YES! YUM!
  • I just learned this recipe. After washing, slice the sprouts kind of thin, (I use 5 to 6 for my husband and myself) in a frying pan heat olive oil and over a med-high heat toss in the sprouts and stir so they are all coated then dust with garlic powder to taste. Now the tricky part is cooking them until they are almost scorched. I like the receipe so much I've made them twice in two week's!
  • Love them like this, I add alot of garlic. YUM. Just had them last night & I'm eating the leftovers for liunch today.
  • bump
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Cut off bottom stem, shred sprouts in food processor. In large pan, cook some pancetta until slightly crispy (less calories than bacon). Add a little olive oil, garlic, (and onion if you like), cooking until fragrant (a minute or so). Add shredded brussels sprouts and saute until tender. Add salt+pepper to taste and top with shredded parmesan cheese.
  • FrankWorsley
    FrankWorsley Posts: 106 Member
    Bump!!!
  • Kelekat
    Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
    I take fresh brussel sprouts and blanch them in boiling water for about 1 min (just enough to be bright green). Then I pat them dry and put them on a baking sheet. You can drizzle a little bit of olive oil on them if you want to, but you don't have to, and add salt, pepper, and rosemary (you could use thyme or garlic too). Roast them on 400 for about 20-30 mins (until they start to get brown). To finish them off, splash them w/ a good balsamic vinegar. They are super yummy. Hope you have a great dinner!

This, except I cut them in half and pan fry them for 5 minutes in a small amount of olive oil with shallots and fresh garlic (Instead of blanching).

Then I lay them in a single layer on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper.

Nummers.
  • Brussel Sprouts when roasted release all of their natural sugar. I cut them in half, place them in a bowl, and toss them with s & p, and olive oil. Put them on a baking sheet at 400 degrees till tender and grate some fresh parmesan while still hot. Delish and the only way I can eat them!

^^^^^^^^^^
    THIS!!!!!! :happy:
  • mzchoize
    mzchoize Posts: 33 Member
    :flowerforyou:
  • djcon
    djcon Posts: 216 Member
    bump
  • I ended up making the sprouts last night instead of the 15th. I halved them, sauteed in bacon fat, and added chicken stock and a bit of cider vinegar at the end (http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2012/03/brussels-sprouts-with-bacon-and-raisins - came up on my fave food blog DinnerALoveStory yesterday!) DH loved them but I'm still not a fan... too bitter. Next I will try roasting, perhaps under a beef roast....