Most RIDICULOUS gift EVER!

Options
PinkEarthMama
PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
My husband did really well this year, and got me a gift certificate to my favorite fabric store.

But... I've had some baaaaaaaaad gifts over the years.

One year, my ex got into a fight at the bar on Valentine's and took a pool cue to the face. Many stitches later, HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY HONEY!

Another year, my parents gave my sister and brother plaid hoodies ( when they were in style, in our town ). Instead... I got a book. A children's bible. I was 13.

I got a vacuum once too. A friend of mine got an IRON.

Have you ever gotten a really ridiculous gift for any holiday?

Replies

• JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    YES...my husband bought me a winnie the pooh shirt. He has been told NEVER to purchase clothes for me ever again.
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I bought a friend a beautiful pair of tri-color earrings for Christmas one year. They cost a little more than I would normally have spent, but she was my best friend and worth it. She gave me: a beach towel!!! HAHAHA I tried to remember that the thought counts, but I thought another thought might have been better.
  • aprilshowers262
    aprilshowers262 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The only V-day gift I've been given was a used audio tape cassette of Ella Fitzgerald. He meant well because he knew i liked her but it was his tape and very obvious that he just didn't have time to get me anything better. Note: I no longer owned a cassette player.

Later that year, he gave me a bracelet which I had seen in our apartment stairwell and a flower he found on the street after someone dropped it.

he was a keeper.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    My husband is pretty awful about gifts, and by that I mean he doesn't give them, lol, not for my birthday, our anniversary, christmas, nothing. It's very rare I get a present.

2 years ago on Valentines I got a Tiffany & Co. bracelet (that I very rarely take off)
    Last year...nothing
    This year...a FB post:

"Oh Happy Valentines Day to my lovely wonderful wife. Even though she yelled at me for having my dress shoes on in the kitchen this morning. She is the best wife ever. When I wake up some mornings with a black eye she comforts me. When I feel sick and nauseous after home cooked meals, she is there for me. She even keeps a hammer under the bed to protect me from intruders! Happy Facebook Valentines day. Wouldn't choose any other woman in the world to off me for life insurance!"
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    this is the exact reason my husband and i dont give gifts.. if he wants something or i want something and its in the budget we just get it.. i dont like postponing pleasure.. so when these holidays come around we're off the hook trying to think of something..

we do other things as gifts to each other :wink:
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    For really? I have too many to list. It isn't until now, going on 30, that my family is FINALLY getting it together when it comes to buying gifts.

My husband never buys me anything. He says he shouldn't have to buy my love. A little appreciation would be nice. LOL
  • aprilshowers262
    aprilshowers262 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    "Oh Happy Valentines Day to my lovely wonderful wife. Even though she yelled at me for having my dress shoes on in the kitchen this morning. She is the best wife ever. When I wake up some mornings with a black eye she comforts me. When I feel sick and nauseous after home cooked meals, she is there for me. She even keeps a hammer under the bed to protect me from intruders! Happy Facebook Valentines day. Wouldn't choose any other woman in the world to off me for life insurance!"
    [/quote]

Sounds like true love. wow. haha. at least he has a sense of humour! so good find there! haha!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options

Sounds like true love. wow. haha. at least he has a sense of humour! so good find there! haha!
    [/quote]

Lol, yup. He's a sarcastic *kitten*. The yelling him about the shoes was true lol. but i had JUST washed the floor and he came in with his shoes that leave scuff marks everywhere!!! lol
  • christylooper
    Options
    One year my husband (who is clueless about what to give) gave me Slim Fast and a new mop. 11 years later, he still gets reminded of that!!
  • love2cycle
    Options
    One year my husband (who is clueless about what to give) gave me Slim Fast and a new mop. 11 years later, he still gets reminded of that!!
  • love2cycle
    Options
    That is pretty lame!
  • Anastacia1119
    Anastacia1119 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My ex got me a set of learn to speak polish tapes one year. And it wasn't even Rosetta Stone! lol
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Haha, ^ this one's the best.

One year for Christmas, I bought my ex two new video games (we were 19 at the time and they were expensive for me, $40-50 each) and all he got me was a Harry Potter mug.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    my wife got me a hair brush once... hello... I'm obviously going bald and I shave my hair close. wtf???
  • gemmaldavies
    Options
    My husband is pretty awful about gifts, and by that I mean he doesn't give them, lol, not for my birthday, our anniversary, christmas, nothing. It's very rare I get a present.

2 years ago on Valentines I got a Tiffany & Co. bracelet (that I very rarely take off)
    Last year...nothing
    This year...a FB post:

sorry - but i love this. lol
  • goodmonster
    Options
    This year my husband said "Hey, I did laundry last week. Happy Valentines day sweetie."

...he's lucky he's cute. hahaha.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    One year for Christmas my grandmother embroidered white pillow cases with names for each grandchild. I get to mine, open it....only to find a 70's flowered pillow case with no name on it. It was obvious that I had been forgotten and she was trying to cover it up lol! I still have that pillow case, almost 20 years later...
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    But... I've had some baaaaaaaaad gifts over the years.

One year, my ex got into a fight at the bar on Valentine's and took a pool cue to the face. Many stitches later, HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY HONEY!

....I'm missing how this is a gift....
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    No bad V-day gifts (mostly for a lack of them haha) but my god mother pulled a good one for christmas when I was 20....She got me plaid flannel University of Michigan pj's (not to mention they were 2 sizes to small....and that I stopped wearing any kind of pj's let alone plaid flannel ones when I was 8).....not too bad....aside from the lack of size and use, right? Except that I went to Ohio State....*Face Palms*
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I was going to contribute but remembered that the forums are Google searchable. I would hate for the offending gift giver to see my post.

... something everyone should keep in mind :flowerforyou: