Eating over half my calories for supper

Options
I need to plan out my meals better so I *know* what I'm having for supper. Lately, I save over half my calories for the day just for supper, because I don't know what meal I'll have in the evening and I don't want to go over. I know that isn't healthy so I need to plan a menu for the week. Any good ideas?

Also, what kind of alcoholic beverages can you enjoy? I like to have a drink now and then in the evening, but the stuff I usually drink is so high in calories!

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    There's nothing unhealthy about eating half your calories for dinner
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I get panicky if I don't have at least 1000 calories available for supper + evening snack.
  • 0AmyMarie0
    Options
    I get panicky if I don't have at least 1000 calories available for supper + evening snack.

Haha It's not only me then!! Good!

I thought your morning-mid day meals were supposed to be the largest, and the smallest meal should be your evening meal because your metabolism slows overnight. Is that incorrect?
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

I thought your morning-mid day meals were supposed to be the largest, and the smallest meal should be your evening meal because your metabolism slows overnight. Is that incorrect?

There is no metabolic benefit to meal timing. Many people, including myself, skip breakfast altogether and still lose weight just fine.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I ate all my calories yesterday in one big, protracted meal except for some pre-work protein.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat all my calories for supper, and I haven't died yet. I think its ok.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

This.

My dinner is around 900 cals, bedtime snack is 300, every day, without fail

Leaving me about 5-600 to eat during the day. As has been said, meal timing is irrelevant.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I plan my entire week when I go to the grocery store every Saturday. I pre log my meals daily so I know many calories I have for each meal. I do tend to eat a minimum of 500+ for dinner because that works for me.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I prefer a big meal at night. It doesn't seem to be doing me any harm.

Re alcohol, spirits are better than wine, wine is better than beer.

Vodka, whisky, nice and low in calories. If you like a neat single malt, that's probably your best bet. Vodka with a low cal mixer (diet bitter lemon, slimline tonic) or a juice (tomato juice is low cal and bloody marys are *good*).
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I save 1/2 my calories for the hours between 5:30pm and 7:30pm, every day. Dinner, post dinner snack. Lost 30 pounds last summer and maintaining just fine now.

This works for me, so if 1/2 for dinner works for you, awesome!
  • happyhiram
    Options

Your metabolism doesn't slow down at night. As a matter of fact your body can't tell the difference between 2 am and 2 pm.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I eat 1000 calories a day in 'snacks'! Everyone's different... My snacks are healthy though (generally!). I like to graze... eggs, almonds, pb and banana on pita bread, fruit, veggies... you get it... So my meals have to be relatively small--a piece of meat and vegetables!
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options

There is no metabolic benefit to meal timing. Many people, including myself, skip breakfast altogether and still lose weight just fine.

I typically only eat 1 meal per day ... and it works fine for me.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options

I do the exact same thing and have been worried too! I just hate wating to many calories early in the day because then I freak out and worry I will go over, and I am always hungry at night no matter what I eat during the day so I mind as well save the calories for when Im hungry! But it seems to working for lots of us so dont change whats works I guess!
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, go with it.
    Me, I have to do the bigger breakfast or I get thrown off all day....and honestly, I have more TIME to eat in the morning. Hubby is home, one kid at school. Dinner time w/ hubby at work & 3 kids is kind of hectic.
  • moniqueb39
    moniqueb39 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I need to plan out my meals better so I *know* what I'm having for supper. Lately, I save over half my calories for the day just for supper, because I don't know what meal I'll have in the evening and I don't want to go over. I know that isn't healthy so I need to plan a menu for the week. Any good ideas?

Also, what kind of alcoholic beverages can you enjoy? I like to have a drink now and then in the evening, but the stuff I usually drink is so high in calories!

I have found good recipies on Cooking Light.com and Martha Stewart.com ( light and healthy section). Also I like to have a drink now and then too so I stick to red wine. its good for your heart and doesn't leave me wanting more. I keep my intake to one or two glasses.
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I try to leave myself between 800-1000 for dinner/snack. I think most of us do it. I don't know about you, but my worst moments are AT night, so the more calories I have during that time available to me, the better off I will be of keeping my weightloss goals.

Do what works for you. Screw the so-called experts who are usually peddling some gimmick or trick!
  • christinajohnson
    christinajohnson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem is actually breakfast. I'm actually afraid of being hungry over the course of the day, so I eat way too much to start with and depend on my exercise too much to burn calories. I think that this is not something I will be able to maintain and need a healthier plan for the day. Smaller meals throughout.
  • Gabriall
    Gabriall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    my brother and I have put a lot of thought into alcoholic drinks... and have finally come to the conclusion that southern comfort with diet coke is one of the lowest options at 55calories a drink (confirmed by soco themselves... yanno after we worked out the difference between american fl oz and english fl oz)... red wine/rose also low.. and carling, despite being barely passable are the only alcohol company (that I know of) that actually print the calorific value of their drinks on the can which is awsome of them!

I think you need to balance total volume of the drink (aka how long you are going to be drinking it for) with the calories... Soco and diet coke while not my faverate is my usual go to drink for ease.

then again, i usually get all the way through working all of this out and then settle on my usual... diet coke.
  • MsBaby117
    MsBaby117 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the "Skinny Girl" drinks...They are pretty good and very low in calories...

http://www.skinnygirlcocktails.com/skinnygirl-products :drinker: