what do you consider moderation?

Options

Replies

• monilove78
    monilove78 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I like to think I do both. I try to focus on eating clean as much as possible, but I do allow myself treats that I like that aren't the best for me. Like a previous poster noted, on my cheat day I try to do healthy breakfast, lunch and snacks and save my "cheating" for dinner and/or dessert. Do what works best for you! :-)
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Moderation depends on the person. I have given up all sodas, so I have an energy drink in the morning

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Oh, you!
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Moderation is fantastic. My mother always said a little of what you like won't hurt you. However, for me, I eat donuts maybe twice a year. I eat fast food about that much too. One donut a week won't kill you and if it keeps you happy I say keep doing it. For me they just don't taste good enough for how many calories are in them. Moderation is different for everyone. Some people have a cheat day, others a cheat meal. Its all about what works for you. I'm also an all or nothing person. If I don't ever have a potato chip I dont' ever have to stop. Get my drift?

Moderation got my grandmother both legs amputated and a host of other complications from Diabetes.

No Thanks.

I will live my life all natural to the best of my ability and affordability.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Oh, you!
  • PompousClock
    Options
    i eat a chocolate-frosted donut every saturday morning that we have roller hockey. probably 40 weeks out of the year. it's quick and easy (we buy them there) and cheap. recently i have started thinking that i don't actually think a donut a week is a moderate amount.
    Do you eat the donuts because you love them, or because they are there? Would you prefer to indulge in another calorically rich treat instead? My husband used to drink two light beers after every hockey game, until he realized it was just a habit and he didn't actually like light beer.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    Moderation got my grandmother both legs amputated and a host of other complications from Diabetes.

No Thanks.

i don't understand how moderation did this to your grandmother. unless it wasn't moderation, but she thought it was?
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    How about "As clean as you can , in moderation?"
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i eat a chocolate-frosted donut every saturday morning that we have roller hockey. probably 40 weeks out of the year. it's quick and easy (we buy them there) and cheap. recently i have started thinking that i don't actually think a donut a week is a moderate amount.
    Do you eat the donuts because you love them, or because they are there? Would you prefer to indulge in another calorically rich treat instead? My husband used to drink two light beers after every hockey game, until he realized it was just a habit and he didn't actually like light beer.

good question. i *do* like a chocolate-frosted donut, but i mainly eat them once a week because it is convenient. on the weeks we don't have roller hockey, i don't miss eating them and wouldn't want to leave the house to go buy one. :) those mornings are much more lazy and we have time to make a nice breakfast. roller hockey mornings, not so much.
  • tmoyer1209
    tmoyer1209 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    If that is the only time you eat a donut, you are doing great! If it's not a dozen donuts, that is. LOL! You are doing a vigorous activity right after so burning more than the calories you consumed in the donut I'm betting. I personally feel that one donut a week is way too often for me, but I don't do streneous exercise. If you feel it may be a bit much, then try to do every other week and see how you feel. Do you find that you get a sugar crash from it? It may not be the healthiest option, but if we only ate healthy options 100% of the time most of us would give up way too quickly on our journey. I say go for it if it makes you happy and does not affect your progress SIGNIFICANTLY.
  • Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I can really respect you for being able to eat one doughnut when there is a box infront of you.

I have troubles with moderation. I need to measure or weigh what I'm planning to eat, have it infront of me, eat it, and force myself not to go back for more. I don't bring bags of chips, cookies, ect downstairs, just what I plan to eat. Our junkfood cabinet locks (we have a kid who likes sneaking treats) so losing the key for that helps A LOT :ohwell:
  • alabughosh
    alabughosh Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I COULD go the "oh, honey do what you want, there is no right or wrong" route...but I think you want our honest and outright opinions here so....

My opinion on donuts is that they are never worth it. There is virtually nothing beneficial for your body about donuts. They are packed with sugar and empty carbs and then usually deep fried in saturated fat and then frosted with some more sugar and fat and sometimes sprinkled with some sugar and artificial coloring. GROSS. Personally, if I'm going to do something that horrible to my body, I'd rather just have a line or two of cocaine.

That being said...I'll eat an old-fashioned donut about once per year. They are so dense and good!!
  • jyork5407
    Options
    Moderation IMO, is being able to eat what you want and stay within daily calorie limits.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This. I would just add that it also depends on your goals. Are you a fitness instructor or does your livelihood depend on your physique? Are you training for a fitness competition or any event in which you need to be in TOP form by a certain deadline? Are you happy with your current fitness level or weight loss progress? Do you struggle with an eating disorder or nutrition related disease? If the answer is no, then enjoy your Saturday donut.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Moderation is fantastic. My mother always said a little of what you like won't hurt you. However, for me, I eat donuts maybe twice a year. I eat fast food about that much too. One donut a week won't kill you and if it keeps you happy I say keep doing it. For me they just don't taste good enough for how many calories are in them. Moderation is different for everyone. Some people have a cheat day, others a cheat meal. Its all about what works for you. I'm also an all or nothing person. If I don't ever have a potato chip I dont' ever have to stop. Get my drift?

No Thanks.

Sarcasm? :huh:

No, the truth. My grandmother succumbed to the complications of Diabetes due to the everything in moderation mantra and thinking I can eat in moderation and just alter my insulin shots.

No thanks.

Protein, fats, vegetables and fruit (some nuts and seeds thrown in) for me.
  • rachelcschmidt
    Options
    I think if having one donut a week is all it takes to revent bigger slip ups, then that's great! Maybe just knowing that you get that donut is all you need to keep on track the rest of the time. I feel that way about coffee. I used to work for starbucks and had a hard time giving up the sugar. I completely cut coffee out for about 3 months, but I'm a mom of 2 kids under 3 who don't like to sleep through the night yet, so I decided moderation was in the cards. I'm down to one iced coffee with carefully measured Almond Joy creamer. It satisfies my sweet tooth and gets my caffeine in. and I want it more than any other sweet thing in life, so I will say no to ice cream, candy, etc because I'd rather have my 2 tbs or creamer! That's a pretty reasonable life change, compared to 2 venti java chip frappucinos a day I was drinking when I worked there!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

No Thanks.

impossible.
    One could define moderation as eating in such a way that you dont get diabetes or complications from it.

However, judging by your user name, id probably have better luck talking to a brick wall.

Not impossible at all. She followed the guidelines of the ADA to a Tee and it ended up with both of her legs being amputated up to the hip.

Yes, no one will ever convince me that donuts, cookies, pie, cake, etc (especially those items NOT made from scratch) are ever part of a healthy eating plan.

Even though one is "staying in their macros and calorie limits" sugar, flour and such does damage to the body in the form of inflammation which will wreak havoc on the body sooner or later.

No thanks. I am trying to live healthy until an old age without being crippled, full of arthritis or other ailments.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I eat a little over 3000 calories daily, and most of it is healthy stuff.
    If I get a craving, I have some.
    One of the reasons I am so against these absurd starvation diets is they stifle metabolism and force people to become food Nazi's about their calorie intake.

You can argue the virtues of the crash diet, but at the end of the day, low calorie diets suck - NO FUN!
    COUNT ME OUT!
    I eat whatever the heck I want, when I want it, and on "free day", as much as I want.

Life is to be LIVED:drinker:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

No Thanks.

i don't understand how moderation did this to your grandmother. unless it wasn't moderation, but she thought it was?

No, she kept a journal and adhered to the ADA requirements to a T. Everyone told her that she could have a slice of pie and just adjust her insulin as long as she was in the calorie requirements.

Sugar, flour and other processed crap does awful things to the body over time.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on the person and how active they are, plus what the rest of the diet is like. A donut a week for someone who would eat healthy the rest of the week and is quite active is fine.

I fall in to the everything in moderation camp for everything but fruit and veg but with that I just make sure I'm having a normal or a smaller portion. I figure I would prefer to have a few chips now and then rather than avoid them altogether and then pig out when I can't take it any more!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    No, the truth. My grandmother succumbed to the complications of Diabetes due to the everything in moderation mantra and thinking I can eat in moderation and just alter my insulin shots.

No thanks.
    No, we're not talking about the diet of anybody suffering from a disease. By the time you're shooting up insulin, it's too late. You've already done much to kill yourself with a knife and fork, so now you must do whatever to prolong a diseased existence. We're talking about healthy people here on MFP.
    If you have diabetes, do what your doc says....whatever....who cares?
    We're not a medical community but a fitness community.

I do not plan to limit myself from the joys of life just because of the sorrow of a few obese, diseased and legless people.
    Stop scare mongering.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    My thoughts on moderation:

Try to get the nutrition you need first. If you have calories left after you get your macros, vitamins, minerals, etc, then eat whatever you want.
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You could eat a doughnut a day if you really wanted to, as long as the rest of your meals give you a balanced diet and you're within your calorie range. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. It doesn't matter where they come from, as long as you're getting however many you need each day, you'll be good. You don't even need to worry about taking vitamins since so much food has vitamins added already.

I say, if you want a doughnut, eat a doughnut, whenever you feel like it; just make sure you don't go over on your calories for the rest of the day.