30 Day Shred

Options
If I do one cardio-strength-abs interval, then pause the video for however long I need to steady my breathing and do a quick warm-back-up, move on to the second interval and pause again before the last? As in, could the resting time cancel out the work I'm doing?

I have asthma and if I try to do it without pausing, I get really breathless after 10 minutes and I'm unable to do the moves properly. My asthma doctor recommended to split up any high-intensity exercise into smaller, more manageable intervals.

It's a pointless question as there is nothing I can actually do to avoid the breaks, but today my brother said that I cancel the effect if I rest so much and spiked my curiosity.

Replies

• MissSpuggz
    MissSpuggz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Well you won't burn so many calories doing it that way so seeing results may take a little longer but doing it in sections is better than doing no exercise at all or trying to do more and making your asthma bad.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    No way it cancels it out - like MissSpuggz said, you may end up with a lower calorie burn, but breathing is worth it, and you're still working during those circuits. Now if you sat down & ate a huge piece of cake in between circuits, that's another story! :laugh:

One of my favorite sayings: "No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch!" I'd say stick with what your doc said and listen to your body, and take a break whenever you need to.
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have ashma too, and as long as you are doing something, your lung capacity will be improving, so in time you will be able to go longer before you need a break. Keep at it, it may seem slow but if you keep at it, you will gradually improve!
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    If you were up to it you could do something like walking on the spot, while you catch your breath and then you wouldn't need to warm up again. (I'm asthmatic too and I don't need my preventative medication any more due to losing weight and getting fit!! Yay!!)
  • cnick21
    cnick21 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I actually went through this very thing with Jillian's 30 Day Shred! When I first started, I could not breath and had to stop as well. However, after several weeks of doing it, I've really built up my tolerance, am on level 2 without stopping at all and it feels amazing! But when I had the shortness of breath due to asthma when I first started, I did take breaks and burned fewer calories as the other ladies mention, but...those little breaks helped me unti my body got used to that type of workout :)
  • sandhillcrane
    Options
    I have asthma too. I am also a Respiratory Therapist. So, my question is, do you use your inhaler BEFORE you exercise? Try that so you open your airway before you are desperate for breath. :glasses:
  • nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have asthma too. I am also a Respiratory Therapist. So, my question is, do you use your inhaler BEFORE you exercise? Try that so you open your airway before you are desperate for breath. :glasses:
    This would be my advice too
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options

Interesting. I honestly wouldn't have thought of it. I'm all new to the whole structured exercise thing, normally I'd just take a walk or something non-strenuous like that.

Anyway, I don't lose anything if I try. :) Thank you for your suggestion!