Need some motivation

Options
Hi there,
I had my first baby 2 months ago and am trying to lose weight, I have about 30 lbs. to lose. I am feeling so overwhelmed about it. I started counting calories about 3 weeks ago and lost 4 lbs. but then the scale completely halted. That's when I really started to lose interest and control, and just got down on myself and wanted to eat everything. I was bad this past weekend, made all kinds of excuses for myself ("it's my husband's first Father's Day! and "I'm down the shore!") and am having trouble getting back on the wagon. Plus I am breastfeeding so I feel hungry all the time. I'm trying to get back into working out but need some motivation to stick with this for the long haul!!! Any tricks????

Replies

• kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    No tricks...just hard work and sticking to it :happy:
    I have been up and down too many times and finally decided to make a total lifestyle change instead of dieting (which doesn't work)
    So, be sure to add more calories for breastfeeding.....Its been two years since I breastfed and I don't remember the amount you are supposed to add.
    Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and get in some good cardio workouts and add a little strength training.
    Good luck!!! MFP is awesome :love:
    IF you are interested, me and a few other girls started a group called JUNE STARTERS. Check us out :happy:
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    If you are breastfeeding you need to make sure and give yourself 500 extra calories on top of what the site says. I always would go in and enter it as exercise each day so you can calculate it easier. Congrats and good luck!
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    My daughter just had her second baby and breast feedin as well she says that losing weight for her this time around seems to be going unbearably slow. Unfortunately as a guy I lose weight differently so I'm not the one to be offering advice so I'll pass on what my daughter has told us she's doing.

She keeps lots of healthy snacks on hand -- things that crunch (like carrots, celery, etc.) seem to help her resist the heavier eating and it also seems to fool her mind into thinking she's cheating when she's not.

She does take time out for herself when the baby naps to get on her treadmill and do some sort of working out each day and on weekends when her husband is home she tries to put in a longer work out while he watches both kids.

I hope others sign in and post something a bit more useful than what I've done but hang in there it will eventually turn around for you. Remember that it's a mind game and unfortunately food is an addiction that many of us have problems resisting our minds seem to fight with us all the time trying to break our spirits.

Good Luck you will succeed!
  • snowsflake
    snowsflake Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, there are no tricks to the weight-loss game. There may be ways to cheat, but as we all know cheating usually gets us back right where we started. I will say that this is totally a process that involves - eating well (90% of it) and exercise (10% of it.) However, it also involves emotions and a lack of desire to change your lifestyle. I've had a rollercoaster of a ride on my weight-loss journey. I lose big only to find myself slipping back into my old habits - "oh, I've done good all day, really, what is a little queso going to do?" "Oh, we're celebrating, margaritas and beer aren't that bad, right?" Then I find myself working out like a maniac just to maintain my current weight, because my food intake has been all over the place.

Uncovering your reasons for not doing what you know should do is a very hard thing to face. It has taken me over 1 1/2 to lose the weight that I've lost because I've been on this rollcoaster ride. I get out of control and then pull myself back in, why, you may ask, because I'm having a hard time fully letting go over my control of the lifestyle that got me here. And dealing with the emotions that come along with it are sometimes too much to handle, which leads me right back to the place I'm working to get away from.

I take each day one day at a time. I work really hard not to beat myself up for making a decision that stalls my progression. I would say that you should do the same. We are all human and we can't be on this 100% of the time. Everyone on here has had those moments and if they say they haven't, ask them how many diets they've been on.

You'll get there when you're ready. Keep your chin up and don't give up yourself!

Congrats on the baby!

Good luck!

142000.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • staclo
    staclo Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I've been where you are. I had my last baby a year ago. I was trying to breastfeed and lose weight, and I know how easy it can be to make excuses.

First of all, don't go hungry. You need calories to keep up your milk supply. You can probably lose weight on a 2000 calorie diet right now, or very close to one. Next, take it slow. Don't try to lose more than a pound a week max. Also, find an exercise routine but start slow. Your body is still recovering, so you don't want to jump into anything too quickly. You might just take the baby out for a walk everyday or something.

As far as how to stay motivated...you are in the right place for that! Be sure to read the success stories daily; they really motivated me at first. Realize that you are going to make mistakes, but don't make excuses for them. I had 2 cupcakes last Saturday. I hadn't exactly planned them, but I recorded them in MFP and moved on. What's done is done.

You can do it; we are all here for you!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • heatheralmond2009
    Options
    I know how you feel. But, keep in mind that the more you BF the more calories you will burn. Don't be too hard on yourself. It takes a good year to get back to how you were before the baby. I know it seems like a really long time, but it flies! :-) My little one is now 8months and I can't believe how fast the time has gone. Something that helped me was to pump right after BF'ing. Not only did it trick my body into thinking that I was feeding twins (thus upping my supply), it helped me burn a lot of calories.

The hungry all the time thing, well that still happens to me. :-) Its like I am a bottomless pit! Try to keep good snacks around, and when you think you are going to cheat and eat junk, tell yourself to wait 30mins. Then when that 30mins is up, and your still craving it, tell yourself to wait another 30mins. This has helped me wait for meals.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever. You will love this site, if you don't already. I love it here. This site is so supportive, helpful, motivational, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • annerssju
    annerssju Posts: 111
    Options
    Wow, Thank you SO MUCH for all the support and advice!! Your words have been really helpful, and have given me some renewed motivation. I will have to come on here a lot, I definitely like reading all the success stories, it makes me feel like I can do it too. I was actually pretty good last night, considering I was so upset because my little one got her 2 mos. shots yesterday and she was NOT a happy camper. Thank god for infant Tylenol! She's better this morning though, smiling and cooing like her normal self.
    Thanks again for making me feel so welcome.:smile:
  • staclo
    Options
    Wow, Thank you SO MUCH for all the support and advice!! Your words have been really helpful, and have given me some renewed motivation. I will have to come on here a lot, I definitely like reading all the success stories, it makes me feel like I can do it too. I was actually pretty good last night, considering I was so upset because my little one got her 2 mos. shots yesterday and she was NOT a happy camper. Thank god for infant Tylenol! She's better this morning though, smiling and cooing like her normal self.
    Thanks again for making me feel so welcome.:smile:

Those shots are no fun! My 1-year-old had three last week. She was devistated and just leaned her head into my chest and cried. :cry: It was so hard to watch her go through that!

Things are going to constantly come up (especially when you have little ones). Don't let it deter you. You might want to plan out your meals the night before. Whenever I do that, I find that it's so much easier to stay on track. When we get too hungry, we tend to grab whatever is available. If we plan in advance, it removes (or alleviates) that temptation.
  • jpramos584
    jpramos584 Posts: 14
    Options
    I was you a year ago so I know completely how you feel. Unfortunately with the breastfeeding, it makes it harder to lose weight. I would say lose the scale and eat healthy for you and your child. Make sure you are counting calories but continue working out. Do activities you enjoy. Let me know if you have any other questions!
  • annerssju
    annerssju Posts: 111
    Options
    I agree that it's harder to lose weight while breastfeeding!! Everyone says it makes you lose weight faster, and I'm sure that's true if you don't consume extra calories. But I don't want to go on a strict diet b/c whenever I don't eat enough calories, I don't always have enough milk. And of course I don't want my little one to be hungry. It's tough to judge just how many extra calories I need, I've heard around 300-500, but I've been adding those extra calories, and haven't gone above that, and I haven't been losing. I'm not gonna stress about it or be real strict until after breastfeeding but I am going to keep recording what I eat on MFP b/c I think it's a good habit to get into. And of course keep trying to work out and take lots of walks with the baby!
    Thanks again :)
  • staclo
    Options
    I went on weight watchers for a while when I was breast feeding. They have a points system for breast feeding mothers, so it was nice. I know it can be frustrating, but hang in there. It sounds like you are doing a great job! :smile: