Plateau. Vent. Read. Help. Please.

Options
So, it's official, I am in the midst of a horrible plateau. Part of it, I think, has been brought on by me, the other part is.. well.. I don't know. :indifferent:

May was a hard month for me, the hardest, in fact. I fought the holidays with ease and then May comes along (my birthday) and I fail. I was sick the first week, got my period for the first time in two years (sorry if thats TMI), had my 22nd birthday, and struggled the rest of the month to get back on board. Not to mention, right before the start of May was Easter, filled with the beloved See's Candies. Ugh. :sad:

Anyways, I've slowly gotten myself back on bored as far as the calorie counting and the exercise (for the most part). There are times when I slip and eat a piece of cake, or the like, :tongue: (last night) but had 650+ calories left over, and then went to the gym and knocked out 700 more calories. i've weighed myself only a few times in the month of June, and as hard as I am trying, I'm not seeing even the slightest change.

I need help figuring out how to get myself fully back in the game. I need ideas of new work outs (at the gym, as I have no room/equipment at home). I'm 5 pounds away from the 250's and I'm dying to be there already. In my mind, I was supposed to have been there by my birthday.

Help. :embarassed:

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Couple things...

if you have 650 calories left over - you're not eating enough--dont' let yourself go below 1200 net - that means after you add in exercise too...I eat 1400 a day and add in what I exercise off so some days I'll eat 1800 or 1900 calories.

I wouldn't consider this a plateau just a rocky spot that you need to work through.

Don't buy candy and such at the holidays - it's that simple. If its not there you won't eat it. If you are buying for kiddos or hubby - buy just enough for them.

Hope this helps-I know it's tough-I was there not too long ago too...YOU CAN DO IT! You have to set your mind to do it for yourself!
  • plussized
    plussized Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Couple things...

if you have 650 calories left over - you're not eating enough--dont' let yourself go below 1200 net - that means after you add in exercise too...I eat 1400 a day and add in what I exercise off so some days I'll eat 1800 or 1900 calories.

I wouldn't consider this a plateau just a rocky spot that you need to work through.

Don't buy candy and such at the holidays - it's that simple. If its not there you won't eat it. If you are buying for kiddos or hubby - buy just enough for them.

Hope this helps-I know it's tough-I was there not too long ago too...YOU CAN DO IT! You have to set your mind to do it for yourself!

With 650 calories left over, I had already consumed 1340. I definitely ate enough calories, because as I said, I had the cake. The candy and stuff isn't purchased by me, at least the kind I eat (LOL), it is purchased from my grandparents and is a tradition, as it is only made during Easter (See's Candies Easter Eggs). I'm not making excuses, although I'm sure it seems like that, I just don't want it to seem like I run out and buy candy and stock up on it.

Anyways, you, my dear, look amazing! Way to go with your weightloss so far!
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    What about running or walking outside? It doesn't require any space in the home...just a pair of shoes. How long have you been in a plateau?

I have a hard time getting back into things when I go astray, too but...at least you are back at it and trying! Give yourself some credit for that.

And what's important is WHAT you eat being that healthy foods are much better than the cake (I know, but it taste so good!!!).

It's a good thing you are recognizing that you are going off the bandwagon...you might want to consider what's underneath the over/bad eating. Are you bored? (I overeat when I'm bored....being idle is not a good thing for me :smile: )

Good luck to you!!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Do some googling on the concept of zig-zagging your calories to break a plateau. :smile:

Also, you could check out some of the sites that have free workout videos to shake up your exercise routine. exercisetv.tv and sparkpeople.com are two that I use.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Couple things...

With 650 calories left over, I had already consumed 1340. I definitely ate enough calories, because as I said, I had the cake. The candy and stuff isn't purchased by me, at least the kind I eat (LOL), it is purchased from my grandparents and is a tradition, as it is only made during Easter (See's Candies Easter Eggs). I'm not making excuses, although I'm sure it seems like that, I just don't want it to seem like I run out and buy candy and stock up on it.

Anyways, you, my dear, look amazing! Way to go with your weightloss so far!

Thank you!

Ok so I think I am confused - what's your daily intake goal? Do you eat your exercise calories when MFP adds them in ? So you at 1340 then cake? What exercise are you doing at the gym? Have you done any strength training?

I'm just full of questions this morning....
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I hit a rough spot earlier this month and was bouncing up and down within a 2 lb range for a couple of weeks. I was getting very frustrated so I went to a nutritionist who told m to eat 5 - 6 small meals a day with protein in them. She told me to cut out the Clif and Luna bars that I loved because I was getting the sugar from them but not exercising at the time I ate them.

I also started with a personal trainer at my gym, once a week only. I have had two sessions with him and I already feel a difference. I highly recommend a couple of sessions with a trainer for a couple of reasosns. First of all , they kick your butt like you never would and secondly, you get to learn more of the equipment and how to use it properly. Don't be afraid to use one even if you have a lot of weight to lose. I still have a lot to go and I was hesitant at first, but he tailored the work out around what I could do and it was amazing.

The best part? My plateau disappeared and the weight fell off. I am down 5 lbs in the last 10 days.