Has anyone else become stingy with their calories...

Options
13»

Replies

• SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    What a bunch of great reply's, thanks! It's funny how awareness makes us really look at what we eat. Here's something else I've noticed, eating healthy is more expensive!

For valentines day my wife and I picked out 1/2 pound of the chocolates we like the most from See's. We then agreed, 1 a day. When they are gone, we are done. We planned for days on how we were going to do valentines day, since every other year it's been a pound of chocolate for each ... and we'd blow through that pound in a day or 2.
  • erinw1011
    erinw1011 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I used to love to drink wine, a glass or two with dinner at least once a week. Now I think "I'd rather save my calories for dessert!"
  • ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this a lot. I breastfeed and automatically need 300 extra calories for that. Before I realized I could put it under my food section and it would automatically deduct those calories from my total, I put them in my exercise diary and RARELY ate them which helped me to lose weight faster, but also created a dip in my supply. Now that I let it automatically deduct them, I eat them, but to compensate, I find myself not really eating my exercise calories and wanting to exercise more. Sometimes I do eat those calories, sometimes I don't. I don't believe in completely restricting what I eat, that is to say, I won't say no to a serving of chocolate or low-fat ice cream, but I try to fit it in my calorie limit without dipping into my exercise calories. Of course, there have been days when I've been *really* awful and completely indulged and I always regret it later. I wish I could eat all my calories and be guilt-free, but I think until I can learn to better exert my will power, that guilt will remain.
  • onewithwings
    Options
    Now that I'm tracking every single thing I eat, I find that I've become very stingy with my calories. Sometimes I will hop on the bike so I can burn more calories so I can indulge myself with a piece of candy ... or maybe a 64 calorie beer. Anyone else going through the same thing now that they have MFP to monitor their calories?

OMG YES!! I've become obsessed....wondering if that's the way it's supposed to be? Are skinny people obsessed with every calorie, every morsel they load in their mouth? Hmmmmmm
  • MamaDebI
    Options
    When I'm at the gym, sweating and thinking they are going to have the paddles to revive me, and I look at the amount of calories burned, it all becomes too clear.... all that work equals one lousy cookie!
  • CharityPearce
    Options
    So funny, I found myself telling my boys almost exactly this this evening when we went to Taco Bueno and I had what my son called the "tiniest dinner he could imagine". I told him the food has to be worth the calories I'm spending on it. And there are some, I just avoid because I know I'll never stop if I start. : ) Yeah, I think I'm stingy with the calories.
  • dancin2011
    dancin2011 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat back my exercise calories and never eat back all of them.

Today i poured out a whole 12.6 ounce bag of dark chocolate M&Ms to count EXACTLY how many there are in a "serving."

In case you're interested, there were 428 M&Ms in the bag, a serving size is then equal to 53.5 M&Ms and 210 calories, which i divided in half (26.75) and rounded down to 25 M&Ms since it's hard to eat 0.75 of an M&M.

I really wanted a treat, but there was NO way i was going to blow 210 calories on one!

This made me chuckle...love it!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    HA!

Every DAY!:drinker:
  • jsmith81515
    jsmith81515 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise to be able to eat more, but rather I exercise more so I can create that calorie deficit. It's like paying off a car loan, but in the opposite direction!
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I drove my husband nuts today. He had extra time off and we were already out. He wanted to go to lunch without kids. I am aware that our normal habits include a lot of eating out. I'm trying to cut that. So today I really didn't want to go out to eat. He said we haven't been going out to eat. Yes we have. Last week we went to a restaurant mid-week and then my friend's 40th birthday came along and that was tons of calories. Well now we are going out this weekend glass bottom boating and will be out of town so we will eat out. It's not worth it. I finally compromised and had him take me to a place that has the most delicious asparagus with bacon. At least I didn't get starchy foods, etc. He looked at my plate and looked at his. I think he is getting the hint that I'm serious. I don't want impulsive calorie surges. I want those surges to be planned.

The other night I made soup. I found out after I made it that it is 600 calories for 2/3 a cup of rice. So at the last minute, I said no to rice with my soup. Instead I put 5 tortilla chips in it to thicken it up. It wasn't worth it to me.

As for candy, I count out my pieces too! I put those pieces on my side table and that's what I can grab and munch during that day without going over. It's like mindful mindless munching. But I'm very aware that there are only so many do I only take one at a time and savor it when I do.
  • KarenBoster
    KarenBoster Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! I just started this month and I already do it.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    When I go to my hometown I make sure I do my 20-minute express zumba before every time I eat, that way when my mom wants to go out to dinner, I've earned it.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Always, always do this! Can't help it :smile:
  • needtolose50lbs
    Options
    Yes! I really love peanut m&m's and 1 small bag is like 220 calories, so whenever I eat a bag i make sure I burn about 200 calories more that day.
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm doing that too!!! I had a lot of sweets (1 mini chocolate heart, a twix, and a mini red velvet cupcake) so now i'm only left with 300-400 calories >_> last meal...booo... lately I'm super hungry too and I eat anywhere from 1500-2000 calories a day :P
  • lexidell46
    Options
    I do not use my Exercise calories. As I want to get rid of the weight. Even thought I get temped at times