Are taking supplements worth it?

I picked up a copy of Muscle & Body and there were quite a few articles on supplements. Which got me wondering if anyone else has tried them and what results they had.

These were the ones I was interested in and what the M&B said they should do.
Green Tea Extract - Increase metabolic rate and fat utilization in the body.
Synephrine - Increase the release of fat from storage to be burned as energy. Also decreases appetite.
Forskolin - Breaks down stored fat to be burned as energy.
Evodiamine - Slows the rate of food digestion.
Hoodia - Appetite suppressant.
Glucomannan - Slows the rate of food digestion.

I know there are some that have repeat effects. I just added them to the list in case I couldn't find one, maybe I could find the other.

So has anyone tried any of these if so please share your results.
Thank you.

Replies

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    I ust started taking a daily multivitamin. And yay, no more spontaneous leg cramps...

As for the other stuff, no idea, I'm too cheap to buy into them...
  • Out of that list, I take Green Tea everyday. I definitely think its one supplement that works. I take glucomannan occasionally when I feel really hungry right before a meal. Seems to do the trick. Have tried any of the others but will defintely research them. I take a few other supplements daily that aided in weight loss last time I gave it a go.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Green Tea Extract - Great antioxidant, fat metabolizer? Not proven
    Synephrine - dunno...not heard of it
    Forskolin - Sounds like a part of a man's genitals...not sure
    Evodiamine - not heard of this either
    Hoodia - Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole
    Glucomannan - There is some truth to this
  • Which ones Southpaw? Thanks for the info.
  • I use ONLY AdvoCare products because they are pharmaceutical grade as opposed to commercial grade. I don't to put garbage into my body with over the counter garbage. :huh:

What I find especially helpful are the training products. You are what you put in your mouth.

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
  • I agree with the second post. A good multi-vitamin is key. I take Orange Triad by Controlled Labs. One that gets great reviews and I actually might try myself as it has everything I am taking now just at slightly lower daily value is Armor-V by MusclePharm.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Good multivitamin, protein and creatine are at least legit. There is no regulation by FDA on supplements so you really don't know what you're getting. My personal opinion is the MAJORITY of supplements are useless. Many sellers use actual clinical studies to try to make their supplements sound legit, but in truth it's nothing but a sales ploy that funds a billion dollar a year business.
    Stick to real food.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Green Tea Extract - Great antioxidant, fat metabolizer? Not proven
    Synephrine - dunno...not heard of it
    Forskolin - Sounds like a part of a man's genitals...not sure
    Evodiamine - not heard of this either
    Hoodia - Wouldn't touch it with a ten food pole
    Glucomannan - There is some truth to this

HOOT on #3! <g>
    As for Synephrine, just going by the name it's some epinephrine or ephedrine type thing - there are easier ways of killing yourself.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Good multivitamin, protein and creatine are at least legit. There is no regulation by FDA on supplements so you really don't know what you're getting. My personal opinion is the MAJORITY of supplements are useless. Many sellers use actual clinical studies to try to make their supplements sound legit, but in truth it's nothing but a sales ploy that funds a billion dollar a year business.
    Stick to real food.

IDEA Fitness member

I only slightly disagree with you. There are many supplements out there that work very well, however you really have to read reviews and not grab something brand new. Also, you really have to do your homework or you're going to pay. For example, Muscletech makes great supplements, however the price usually isn't worth the product (unless you can find it on clearance...which I've done before).

6-7 years ago, when I was in shape, I was using probably $150+ worth of supplements a month (single, no kids, etc.) and it worked wonders (with proper diet of course). However, not being able to afford that now has made me be more conscience about what I buy.

If you do choose to use supplements, stick to proven brands that have been around for a while.
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Your money is better spent on whole organic non processed food imo.
  • thefuzz1290
    Your money is better spent on whole organic non processed food imo.

It depends on what the goals are. To maximize fitness, good diet, exercise, and supplementation is key. If all you needed was food, then athletes wouldn't supplement.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Stick to real food.

IDEA Fitness member

I only slightly disagree with you. There are many supplements out there that work very well, however you really have to read reviews and not grab something brand new. Also, you really have to do your homework or you're going to pay. For example, Muscletech makes great supplements, however the price usually isn't worth the product (unless you can find it on clearance...which I've done before).

6-7 years ago, when I was in shape, I was using probably $150+ worth of supplements a month (single, no kids, etc.) and it worked wonders (with proper diet of course). However, not being able to afford that now has made me be more conscience about what I buy.

If you do choose to use supplements, stick to proven brands that have been around for a while.
    Most supplements are trash. You lose creditably by stating "Muscletech makes great supplements". Their claims are ridiculous at best out right lies.
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Sounds like they are only interested in "fat loss" supps as he us asking about them.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,226 Member
    It seems that your list is a waste of money, don't get me wrong but i also take supplements. But those in your list are waste of money.
  • thefuzz1290
    Stick to real food.

IDEA Fitness member

Most supplements are trash. You lose creditably by stating "Muscletech makes great supplements". Their claims are ridiculous at best out right lies.

When I did not supplement, I was 160lbs...skinny, cut, but not strong. With supplementation I was 180lbs, still cut, but strong. I didn't do anything different with my diet, I just added in supplements.

Muscletech does make great supplements, but as I said, its not worth paying full price. I had great success on NanoVapor (bought cheap), Anator P70 (bought cheap), and old Hydroxcut (w/ephedra). Now I didn't notice a difference with Anabolic Halo and the new Hydroxcut is garbage. Every Muscletech product I have purchased in the past has been off the clearance table at GNC, usually at 1/3 the price or less.

Usually people who say certain companies are garbage haven't used the products. I have tried a variety of supplements in the past, and not just samples, full supplies. Some have worked, some haven't. I think it all depends on what your body responds to. For example, Jack3d did absolutely nothing for me, yet a ton of people swear by it. Also, a lot of people claim NO Xplode gives them the runs, but it doesn't bother me.

Supplementation is trial and error, and I have wasted a lot of money in the past. However, that money wasted has allowed me to discover which supplements work with my body.