How can my weight fluctuate everyday??? Am ditching the scal

Options
I have been on this site since 3 weeks or so. I have not been able to workout regularly due to some reasons. My starting weight on 16th of Jan when I joined the gym was 74kgs. Two days ago I checked my weight (twice!) on the weighing machine at my workplace and it showed 72 Kgs! Yesterday, after working out at the gym, I checked my weight on the weighing scale at the gym which showed my weight to be 71.9 Kgs (this was a digital scale). Today, before starting workout today, I again checked my weight, since I remembered that weighing after working out when the body is warm is not very accurate, and my weight today was 72.9 Kgs (one kg more than yesterday!) on the same damn digital weighing scale! I don't get all this! On top of that, I was just 60 Kgs last march, and I have put on 14 kgs in a span of one year! What with my problem of fibromyalgia (muscle pull in layman terms), and taking medication fro that which included muscle relaxants and nerve soothers as well! My gym trainer feels that most of the weight gain would be water retention and swellings in the muscles n not too much of fat. But that does not explain the fact that I don't fit into my medium sized clothes at all! Its XL all the way! Do you guys think that I should see a doc and figure out this water retention fat thing or just keep working out and wait to go back to my old size? Am ditching the scale anyway.. a useless kill joy that it is.. Tracking inch loss seems smarter to me now.. what say?

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Stop using the scale to measure success!

Take measurements of your body, weekly, and use that to judge how you're doing. Also, use how your clothes fit and how you look in the mirror. I've only lost 5lbs, but I've lost 1.5" off my waist and my face is definitely thinner.

Body weight fluxates throughout the day for many reasons: water retention, what time of day you weighed, how much food you ate the night before, etc.
  • iwannablean
    iwannablean Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you! :) I shall do that..
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/weight-fluctuations-explained.html

Pretty much says what fuzz said.

Water, excess salt, big meal, etc.
  • deniserenee_02
    deniserenee_02 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I agree with him :)
  • chocolateduck
    Options
    The scale is your enemy! Remember that. Also working out creates muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. Measure your waist, neck and hips. That will show that your effort is worthwhile. I wish I can take my own advice and ditch that scale. :(
  • Belladonna261
    Options
    There are huge numbers of reasons for fluctuations!!! Fluid loss, especially during exercise, what you've even the previous day/night before, whether or not you've been to the toliet - even a womans time of the month! So weigh your self same time of day, and no more than once a week....stop torturing yourself :) Take measurements also, sometimes this is a better indicator especially if your spending time at the gym! Good luck
  • scottishhighlander
    Options
    I lost 2kgs from going to sleep to waking up this morning. Don't worry to much about weight fluctuations. Record the weight once a week first thing in the morning
  • Megdmcda
    Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    yeah i agree too. when i started. mine was going up down between like 3 lbs depending on what i ate, how much i worked out. i was shrinking but according to the scale i wasn't. i always lose alot of inches before the lbs. but when it does it literally melts off. my 6 lbs i've lost came from just this last week. but i hadn't changed nothing. just how my body works i guess. the scale is really only important if u actually have a weight goal i guess. if ur trying just to be thinner or to be in shape u can't really go by the scale. lol and from what i've heard EVERYBODY flucuates within five lbs all the time. so that being said, go by ur clothes and try to fit into ur old clothes. lol good luck. :)
  • cowgirlzride
    Options
    You look great! I did want to bring forward a myth so many believe. Muscle does not 'weigh' more then fat, A pound is a pound is a pound. A pound of feathers weigh the same as a pound of water. What is truth, the heavier object (the muscle or water) are less dense taking up less room. So, a pound of muscle is smaller then a pound of fat. :)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Embrace the fluctuations. They're normal, and it's just how the human body works. It generally goes something like this: up, up, down, up up, down.
  • cahuengarock
    Options
    Part of it might be the scales themselves...they might just be a little off. Also, I've heard that water weight changes and that's why you will gain or lose a few pounds each day. The other thing is that you should always weigh yourself in the morning before breakfast and before you shower. This will give you your actual weight without all the variances that the day will bring.
  • littlemsmuffet
    Options
    Only ditch the scale if it is keeping you from feeling motivation (obviously, it is). But definitely talk with your doctor. He/she will be able to explain your medications and potential side-effects and might even be able to provide insightful information about good/bad exercises for your fibromyalgia. Your personal trainer will know some things about nutrition and physiology but he/she is not qualified to explain (no matter how well-intentioned or reasonable the explanation) your medications and health, apart from cardiovascular and strength exercise. A family member of mine has a health condition which was worsened with exercises recommended by a personal trainer, so just make sure you speak to the right person first.

Back to the scale - I try to weigh myself every day but often forget. It is a reminder for me to drink water or cut back on sugars/sodium. If I find I have gained 1kg overnight, I consider everything I had the day before. It is likely that I either (a) ate too many starches, sugars, or too much sodium, or (b) was so dehydrated that I retained water. Typically my weight returns to normal by evening or the next day.

Water weight will make you retain inches, by the way, so that might explain some of your trouble with sizes. Just to put things in perspective, I am 65 inches (1.65 meters) tall and currently weigh 55.3 kg. When a certain lady pays her visit during the month, she brings a hefty 2.2-3.2 kg with her. That makes a huge impact on my clothing sizes - the weight goes to my bum and thighs. Sometimes when I overdo it on the Friday night pizza and candy, I will find I have gained 1.5-2.5 kg the next day. I have lost 0.5 kg since yesterday simply by taking a 3.5 km run. So, it is not all a loss (pardon the expression) if you find your weight is up and down :wink:
  • Shutupndance
    Options
    The best time to weigh in is in the morning, nekkid! Weight is always going to fluctuate, and everyone else have given great reasons for the fluctuations!
    If you find yourself obsessing over the scale (like I do!) I recommend just weighing in once a week. I try to eat dinner earlier the night before, have had enough water, not too much sodium.
    You should try taking measurements! Be really thorough, do your neck, arms, chest, waist, hips, thighs, calves. It's amazing how the scale won't budge but the tape measure does.
    Good luck! Don't get discouraged, I'm sure you're doing just fine!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    1. gotta poo
    2. gotta pee
    3. worked too hard at the gym and caused to much water retention...see #2
    4. not enough fiber...see #1
    5. TOM
    6. See all of the above

weight fluctuates daily. Toss the scale and weigh in once per month
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    This week my scale has told me that I've gained SEVEN pounds! How the hell is that even possible when eating under 1200 every single day! I thought I was being strong only weighing once a week (I get obsessed otherwise) but now I'm thinking of ditching the scales completely - it's just too depressing :cry:
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If you're going to weigh yourself everyday, then understand why fluctuations happen and change your expectations. I track my weight daily, but do so specifically because I'm curious about how my body responds to exercise and food. To keep from getting discouraged, I track the lowest weight in a given week, and use that to measure my overall progress. Do something similar, but read up on human physiology before you give up just because your scale said one number vs. another.

Make a plan and stick to it. It works. Your physiology is no different than any one else's, and calorie restriction + exercise have worked for many many others. It works.

Don't over-think things, unless you're planning to over-think on purpose.

If over a month or more you are truly not seeing results, then your estimates and measurements are probably off. Check your data. Get a HRM with a chest strap. Be more anal about logging your food intake.

It. Works.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    If you're going to weigh yourself everyday, then understand why fluctuations happen and change your expectations. I track my weight daily, but do so specifically because I'm curious about how my body responds to exercise and food. To keep from getting discouraged, I track the lowest weight in a given week, and use that to measure my overall progress. Do something similar, but read up on human physiology before you give up just because your scale said one number vs. another.

Make a plan and stick to it. It works. Your physiology is no different than any one else's, and calorie restriction + exercise have worked for many many others. It works.

If over a month or more you are truly not seeing results, then your estimates and measurements are probably off. Check your data. Get a HRM with a chest strap. Be more anal about logging your food intake.

It. Works.

What they say above. ^^^

Water weight fluctuates on a daily basis throughout the day. If you're dehydrated you're gonna way less. If you drank lots and maybe even ate really low calorie density foods that are full of water, you'll be heavier due to the physical mass of the water in the food. Measure weight consistently once a week. If you can't stand that then maybe add a second in but it's unnecessary really. Make sure you weigh yourselves under the same conditions each time. Most people do it first thing on a Friday morning, naked and after going to the loo. Also, take some measurements, waist hips etc. This helps when the scales aren't moving as it shows the fat loss where some of the fat weight is being replaced by muscle OR water weight.

As above, if you're getting no results on either measurements after about 6 weeks then re-evaluate. But if you're logging accurately, it'll be easier to spot where you're going wrong. I suggest (as above!) getting a DECENT HRM that takes in to account, height, weight, gender, activity level, VO2 max, Actual MHR (NOT 220- age rubbish) and RHR so ideally something with a built in fit test and relatively reliable (as far as HRMs go) algorithm for calculating calories burned. I suggest the Polar RS300X. Make sure you're weighing food, volume is potentially a little unreliable. Also, I always try to go slightly under my allowance as nutritional info is legally allowed to be up to 20% out so you could unintentionally be logging 20% less or 20% more calories than you're actually consuming. But I like to err on the side of caution.

Hope that helps. Don't get fixated on the scales and day to day fluctuations. It's not healthy and sure to demoralise you.
  • iwannablean
    Options

It. Works.

Thanks a lot! :)
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    water weight mainly.. it changes thoughout the day.

I suggest weighing once a week :)
  • iwannablean
    Options

Thanx again! I feel better now...

It. Works.

What they say above. ^^^

Water weight fluctuates on a daily basis throughout the day. If you're dehydrated you're gonna way less. If you drank lots and maybe even ate really low calorie density foods that are full of water, you'll be heavier due to the physical mass of the water in the food. Measure weight consistently once a week. If you can't stand that then maybe add a second in but it's unnecessary really. Make sure you weigh yourselves under the same conditions each time. Most people do it first thing on a Friday morning, naked and after going to the loo. Also, take some measurements, waist hips etc. This helps when the scales aren't moving as it shows the fat loss where some of the fat weight is being replaced by muscle OR water weight.

As above, if you're getting no results on either measurements after about 6 weeks then re-evaluate. But if you're logging accurately, it'll be easier to spot where you're going wrong. I suggest (as above!) getting a DECENT HRM that takes in to account, height, weight, gender, activity level, VO2 max, Actual MHR (NOT 220- age rubbish) and RHR so ideally something with a built in fit test and relatively reliable (as far as HRMs go) algorithm for calculating calories burned. I suggest the Polar RS300X. Make sure you're weighing food, volume is potentially a little unreliable. Also, I always try to go slightly under my allowance as nutritional info is legally allowed to be up to 20% out so you could unintentionally be logging 20% less or 20% more calories than you're actually consuming. But I like to err on the side of caution.

Hope that helps. Don't get fixated on the scales and day to day fluctuations. It's not healthy and sure to demoralise you.

Thank you! :)