Will walking make a difference?

Options
This is a legitimate question. I have 50 or so friends on MFP, whom most post regularly. Numerous times a day I see "so and so burned blank amount of calories doing blank amount of minutes walking". And it's always the same people.

Isn't running better?
Does walking really make a difference?

Now on to the personal aspect. I'm currently doing the 30 Day Shred. I log it as 20-25 minutes of Circuit training and usually burn between 130-160 calories (according to MFP) doing so. If I were to replace this activity with walking, would there be a difference or do I get the same benefits? On the other hand, would I see better/faster/additional results if I were to add walking a few times a week (on top of the 30DS) to my workout routine?

Again, this is a serious question! I feel like walking is the easy way out, but does it deliver in the end? I want to understand why some people choose it over running, besides the ease on the joints.

Thank you so much, feel free to add!

:)

PS. Any personal experience is much appreciated!

Replies

• CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on the person and what they feel comfortable doing. Perhaps they can't run for some reason (asthma?), Or they just don't like running? Running may burn more calories, but it's really all about that person. If they feel they have to run then they may just give up and not do anything, at least with walking they are doing something, and burning more calories then the person sitting on the couch.
  • wittlelacey
    wittlelacey Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I totally agree :) I don't deny that walking is far better than doing nothing at all! I'm just trying to understand the benefits. I mean, burning some calories is better than none! But I probably should have specified that I'm more curious if it delivers results and whatnot.
  • sophiareal
    sophiareal Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of pole will also increase how much they walk as a way to move more. I certainly do - while I am a runner, I have started walking to work rather than take the bus to burn some additional calories, but provided you can do more strenuous exercise, I would run rather than just walk.
  • inge88
    inge88 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Running burns the calories faster. Apparently walking and running 5km won't differ much in calories burned (I haven't tried this out, and I also haven't got the scientific research for it). But to run 5km takes less time than to walk 5km. Plus running works more on your cardio.

About replacing 30 day shred with walking.. No, you wont get the same results. You might walk until you burn the same calories as with the 30 day shred, but you have got to remember that you do a lot of strength training with the shred. This will tone you more AND give you a higher metabolism.
  • wittlelacey
    Options
    Running burns the calories faster. Apparently walking and running 5km won't differ much in calories burned (I haven't tried this out, and I also haven't got the scientific research for it). But to run 5km takes less time than to walk 5km. Plus running works more on your cardio.

About replacing 30 day shred with walking.. No, you wont get the same results. You might walk until you burn the same calories as with the 30 day shred, but you have got to remember that you do a lot of strength training with the shred. This will tone you more AND give you a higher metabolism.

This was really helpful! I find it very interesting that the calories burned aren't too far apart, hmm.
    I don't plan on replacing the 30 Day Shred with walking, just curious haha. So thank you!

Would it be appropriate to assume that adding 30-60 minutes 2-4 times a week on top of the 30DS would be a good idea?
  • iwisheyes
    Options
    I have an abdominal hernia. Needing to go in for third repair surgery this summer. Doc said, you need to lose 80 lbs before the surgery. I asked what she recommended to help me with that. She said, I have no idea... with the hernia, all you can do is walk. This does not discourage me, however, since one of my dearest friends lost 100 lbs over 30 months JUST by walking and changing his eating habits. Once he dropped the weight, he became concerned about fitness, started running and lifting, and is now sculpted beyond all expectations. But, yeah... walking was how he shed the pounds. He walked, sometimes a couple of blocks, sometimes a couple of miles, but every day, rain or shine.
  • wittlelacey
    Options
    I have an abdominal hernia. Needing to go in for third repair surgery this summer. Doc said, you need to lose 80 lbs before the surgery. I asked what she recommended to help me with that. She said, I have no idea... with the hernia, all you can do is walk. This does not discourage me, however, since one of my dearest friends lost 100 lbs over 30 months JUST by walking and changing his eating habits. Once he dropped the weight, he became concerned about fitness, started running and lifting, and is now sculpted beyond all expectations. But, yeah... walking was how he shed the pounds. He walked, sometimes a couple of blocks, sometimes a couple of miles, but every day, rain or shine.
    I love stories like this :) Very inspiring! Walking seems far more appealing now haha.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    During this cutting cycle my "cardio" has consisted 2-3 45 min walks. Since January I have lost over 25lbs. I suggest you read this article to understand the benefits.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_best_damn_cardio_article_period
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot of time in front of the computer for work so walking is my escape. It's just a bonus that it helps burn calories.
  • wittlelacey
    Options
    Thank you for these posts :) I'll make to sure to read that article sometime tomorrow!
    However, I'm off to bed. Good night all!
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I really don't have the stamina to run! I walk every day Monday-Friday 80 minutes total, at least (walking to, from, and around school, plus any extra). I wish I could run, but I can't run more that 100 feel without feeling tired :( I guess I just need to build up my stamina! :blushing:
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Last year at this time I weighed around 300 lbs (300-305....didn't really want to know the real number). At 6'2" and rather broad built, my healthy weight is in the 230-240 range. Still, 300-ish was a horrible weight for me. At the time I didn't really do anything with my diet, but I got a dog in late March last year and started walking him daily. I dropped down to 275 over the summer while still eating all types of crap. During the Fall and Winter my weight has been hovering around 280, which is why I got on MFP. Now understand that my walks with my dog are 1.5 - 4 miles everyday, and I aim for about a 3 mph pace. This is not an easy stroll. I just got a heart rate monitor/gps watch (garmin FR60) and on a 40 minute, 2 mile long walk it said I burned 250 calories. It's not what I can burn doing an intense workout in the gym or if I'm hiking in the mountains near me, but it's not a small amount either.

Walking is a great way to start loosing weight and get your muscles and joints used to exercising due to the low impact. Going from the couch to running a 5k is a good way to hurt your knees. I dropped 25 lbs in 3-4 months doing nothing but walking a couple miles a day, everyday.
  • MOS3
    MOS3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I walk everyday and love it. I can do it at lunch time or any time I have a chance. For me I am not fit enough to start running. But I feel with walking cos I can fit it in anytime I can do more. For example I do not get all sweaty and need a shower so it fits well in to my day.

I can honestly say it has toned up my stomach and legs. Never have
  • littlemsmuffet
    Options
    Honestly, it's really all about your calories. People are often drawn to the idea of running because of the potentially large amount of calories at stake. I was drawn to running because of the cool clothes, actually, but you get the point. If your BMR is 1200, you could either (a) run 8 miles to burn 800 calories and eat 800 calories' worth of chocolate on...Valentine's Day, or (b) run 8 miles to burn 800 calories and eat 1000 calories to have a 1000 calorie/day deficit because you want to lose 2 lbs/week to fit into a red dress on....Valentine's Day. I did my own research on this very question - walking vs running vs nothing vs diet only - and my conclusion was that exercise really didn't matter (do your own research! Google scholar!). For that matter, many anorexics simply keep their calories restricted and do little exercise.

To echo a previous poster, your choice of activity needs to be something you enjoy and something sustainable (just like diet). Personally, I run. Sometimes. Today I got off my bum but many days I am just too exhausted. I would rather take a walk (much more enjoyable) or forego rice at dinner. When I am tired and have a lot to do, running stresses me out. Why would I exercise to improve my health if it creates stress because of the time and energy that is involved in maintaining it every week? Strength training is the least enjoyable of all for me. It makes my head hurt and I have to drag my phone, wallet, keys, jacket, and weights all over the gym just for a few reps. To add insult to injury, I retain water because my muscles swell and I can't fit into my cool runner clothes the next day. Why do I do it? Well...the same reason you probably asked your question. Someone said it's healthy. But I don't exercise every day or even every week. Some weeks I completely skip out on running or walking. I happily leave out a portion of grains or fats in exchange. I met my monthly strength training quota last night.

Just for the record, I am 5'5", 122 lbs, 18-20% body fat. Pretty competitive stats for someone who doesn't take exercise too seriously.
  • MOS3
    MOS3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    lol - (pressed the return key) mean to say never have I had such trim legs - everyone keeps commenting on how slim they are. So whilst I would love to run - walking is so successful for me right now. (must say tho - I don't toddle, I walk really fast - looks a bit daft I suppose - but its working)
  • smileybooliz
    smileybooliz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise! It's how I've lost my weight so far. I also don't take a stroll through the park. I do intervals on the treadmill at the gym. I do a lot of walking on an incline and try to vary my speed. When I'm done I'm sweating and usually burn 400+ calories in the hour I walk. The most important thing is to be sure you're getting your heart rate up. I know right now my body couldn't handle running. Not sure that it ever will be able to handle it so I enjoy my walking. I also do weight training 3x's a week on top of my walking. I lift heavy and I know that has helped with toning and weight loss for me. I decided long ago that I want to pick an exercise I will be able to do for the rest of my life and walking seems to be the most basic of things to do. I hope I'm still going for a daily walk in my 80's and 90's, permitting I'm fortunate enough to live to be that old. Good luck in what ever exercise you decide to do!!
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Unless your heart rate is increased you pretty much aren't doing anything, so people who diligently walk for long distances but at a slow leisurely pace really aren't doing the good that they probably like to think they are.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    Honestly, it's really all about your calories. People are often drawn to the idea of running because of the potentially large amount of calories at stake. I was drawn to running because of the cool clothes, actually, but you get the point. If your BMR is 1200, you could either (a) run 8 miles to burn 800 calories and eat 800 calories' worth of chocolate on...Valentine's Day, or (b) run 8 miles to burn 800 calories and eat 1000 calories to have a 1000 calorie/day deficit because you want to lose 2 lbs/week to fit into a red dress on....Valentine's Day. I did my own research on this very question - walking vs running vs nothing vs diet only - and my conclusion was that exercise really didn't matter (do your own research! Google scholar!). For that matter, many anorexics simply keep their calories restricted and do little exercise.

To echo a previous poster, your choice of activity needs to be something you enjoy and something sustainable (just like diet). Personally, I run. Sometimes. Today I got off my bum but many days I am just too exhausted. I would rather take a walk (much more enjoyable) or forego rice at dinner. When I am tired and have a lot to do, running stresses me out. Why would I exercise to improve my health if it creates stress because of the time and energy that is involved in maintaining it every week? Strength training is the least enjoyable of all for me. It makes my head hurt and I have to drag my phone, wallet, keys, jacket, and weights all over the gym just for a few reps. To add insult to injury, I retain water because my muscles swell and I can't fit into my cool runner clothes the next day. Why do I do it? Well...the same reason you probably asked your question. Someone said it's healthy. But I don't exercise every day or even every week. Some weeks I completely skip out on running or walking. I happily leave out a portion of grains or fats in exchange. I met my monthly strength training quota last night.

Just for the record, I am 5'5", 122 lbs, 18-20% body fat. Pretty competitive stats for someone who doesn't take exercise too seriously.
    Umm nutrition makes you healthy. Weight training is for body composition. Sure there are health benefits...
  • AntWrig
    Options
    Unless your heart rate is increased you pretty much aren't doing anything, so people who diligently walk for long distances but at a slow leisurely pace really aren't doing the good that they probably like to think they are.
    You are wrong.

• Many who focus on just "calories" and the slash and dash mentality end up with destructive patterns -- extreme calorie cuts and/or excessive aerobics. This sets off an alarm state in the body where the body sheds muscle tissue to lessen energy demands and stores/hoards body fat as a survival response. Once this physiological state is reached, it becomes impossible to lose any more weight no matter how many calories you cut or how much aerobic work you try and add. What you end up with is someone who is on starvation level calories and performing excessive exercise, yet is still flabby.

I believe most are here for this part.

"Traditional cardio is at best a minor importance in the physique enhancement game. And under many circumstances, it becomes the worst form of exercise a relatively fit body type could do for body composition enhancement."

*http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_best_damn_cardio_article_period
  • lisahoyle
    Options
    I was told that walking on an incline on treadmill (WITHOUT holding on) was one of the best ways to trim waist area so I do that - but I also walk outside which is great for my mood as well as calorie burn - I put on a pair of old boots and off road and vary my route so there is always something new to look at. It's a great de-stressor and so suppresses the production of glucocorticoids (the rest and digest hormones that have you craving for high fat/ high sugar snacks)