Will walking make a difference?

Options

Replies

• Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are designed to walk, to forage for food, and run in short intense bursts ( HIIT).
    For me - running killed my knee joints.
    Walking is free, delightful and releases happy hormones. yay!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Walking mostly bores me after about 10 minutes or so. Then I'm ready to break into a run... It's something I feel naturally inclined to do. So I've really taken to intervals of walking & running. I'll usually walk for 1 minute, run 1 minute... for 20-30 minutes total and get a really good, quick workout that way. Long walks & runs just irritate the hell out of me. Unless I'm hiking up a trail or mountain. That's actually fun.

I personally don't feel humans were designed for running marathons.
  • heleflump
    Options
    All exercise is good and varying the muscle groups helps to keep the body guessing and readjusting and not getting bored. A few years back I walked a marathon - managed to train for a six months and got to the recommended 4miles per hour speed - weight fell off and I was eating like a horse - didn't change my diet at all (tho with hindsight probably should have) when I trained with friends who wanted to come along - they found it easier to jog along side me as they felt it hurt less!!! So whilst running may burn faster - power walking really gets to your butt, waist and legs (and that's without doing the funny walk that the pros do!!) Good luck!
  • i_am_asparagus
    i_am_asparagus Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'd say so. I run three times a week, do circuit training (30DS and such) 2-4 times a week and walk my dog every day for 60-90 mins. Walking (brisk walking, my dog doesn't do slow) gives me a good calorie burn even on my 'rest' days and I'm sure it helps with recovery too. Last year I started going hill walking on the weekends and can't wait to do it again when the weather warms up. Beautiful scenery, fresh air and 2000+ cals burned, what's not to like! :happy:
  • fitgirl4life
    fitgirl4life Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    During this cutting cycle my "cardio" has consisted 2-3 45 min walks. Since January I have lost over 25lbs. I suggest you read this article to understand the benefits.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_best_damn_cardio_article_period

Just read this article, awesome! Thanks for posting it. :smile:
  • fitgirl4life
    fitgirl4life Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    to those that have suggested that walking doesnt improve fitness, it kind of depends on where you live and where you are walking i suppose.

img_1355.jpg

Totally agree! What a spectacular view, soooo envious that is where you "walk" :love:
  • shady81x
    shady81x Posts: 290
    Options
    Im a walker, i hate running. Im not designed for it, despite what anyone says, my bloodline is the reason we invented the bow and arrow etc.

Run? not unless something with teeth is chasing me, big teeth.

:laugh: this is so me.

I'm one of those folks that have my exercise log filled with walking. There's the occasional gym class I attend + the occasional swim but walking seems to be the only thing I can get myself to do (yes, I am very very very lazy). Been thinking of progressing to running though... toying with the idea of trying out C25K, but until I manage to push myself mentally to do it, it'll be walking walking and more walking :wink:
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I walk at least 5 days a week for an hour or so, it hasn't done me any harm so far!
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm an ex-runner (when I was <195 lbs.), who got up to 250. I've lost 31 lbs. by walking and counting cals. (2+ lbs./wk.). If I were to run now, I risk injuring my ankles, Achilles, or calf muscle. I will begin running again when I hit 210 or 205, whatever feels right, but I don't want to rush it, get injured and set myself back. I walk about 6.5 mi. In 90 minutes 4-5 days per week, burning over 900 cals./ walk. It's worked for me and I notice I lose more weight after my walk than if I spent an hour on the elliptical or arc trainer.
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am a walker - and I have no inclination to try running - I don't get the same enjoyment out of it.
    I walk at a fast pasce, swing my arms as well and even when I am not "trying" to walk fast I do have to try and slow down
    for my children.
    They are starting to enjoy walking too, we walked home the other weekend at their request rather than catch a bus. It took us an hour including a ten minute stop in the playground near home it was just over two miles and then they asked to do it again on the Sunday - and they were quicker so had 15 minutes in the playground. [not bad considering they are 3 and 5 years old!]
    I have always walked, I walk a lot faster than I used to when I started, I probabbly walker faster than average anyway as I have little legs compared to hubby and the rest of the family so always had to be quicker to keep up!
    I take part in parkrun a timed 5k held every saturday - and when I can get there I walk, but I don't always finish last. pb is 41:25
    I did a walking half marathon in october of last year although the distance was actually 14.5 miles I did it in 3hours 35 minutes and 2254 calories from my HRM!
    So like any exerise if you put the effort in you can get the rewards out.
    I know that a huge part of my weightloss is down to my walking.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your goal is for the day.. but overall yes.

Being Active should be your first goal: Walking is being active!
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I walk, because he first time I tried jogging I collapsed after 50 metres. Literally. Some people just really ARE that unfit. Running and jogging definitely are a better workout, and I'm slowly but surely building myself up to that.

On one season of the Biggest Loser (Australia) one of the contestants sprained his ankle and could only walk for that week. Doctor's orders. Next weigh in, he had lost the biggest weight percentage for that week. So yes, it does deliver results.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner currently training for a marathon but I walk too! I use it as non-pounding cross-training and something I can fit in. Say my evening plans change and I can't get to the gym, or I have a nice meal planned and want to keep my calories in check, I keep a pair of trainers in my desk drawer and go for a 40-minute power walk at lunchtime! There's 200-odd calories right there!

I work in a lovely part of London and walk down past St Paul's Cathedral and over the Thames to the Tate Modern art gallery. Plus no shower required (though after a particularly vigorous walk a wet-wipe and some deodorant doesn't go amiss!).
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Unless your heart rate is increased you pretty much aren't doing anything, so people who diligently walk for long distances but at a slow leisurely pace really aren't doing the good that they probably like to think they are.
    You are wrong.

• Many who focus on just "calories" and the slash and dash mentality end up with destructive patterns -- extreme calorie cuts and/or excessive aerobics. This sets off an alarm state in the body where the body sheds muscle tissue to lessen energy demands and stores/hoards body fat as a survival response. Once this physiological state is reached, it becomes impossible to lose any more weight no matter how many calories you cut or how much aerobic work you try and add. What you end up with is someone who is on starvation level calories and performing excessive exercise, yet is still flabby.

I believe most are here for this part.

"Traditional cardio is at best a minor importance in the physique enhancement game. And under many circumstances, it becomes the worst form of exercise a relatively fit body type could do for body composition enhancement."

*http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_best_damn_cardio_article_period

Excellent article!!! It seems I've been following to a T the 3 days of weight training and 2 days of intervals (anaerobic cardio)... Just wasn't walking the other recommended days for 30-45 minutes. I hope this guy knows his stuff... Sure sounds like it. I've read similar science lately, this seems to make a lot of sense.
  • dot120
    Options
    I WAS DIAGNOSED LAST YEAR WITH ARTHRITIS IN BOTH MY HIPS, AND THE PHYSIO SAID TO EITHER WALK, CYCLE OR SWIM, SO I GOT A TREADMILL AND SHE SAID I COULD WALK AS LONG AS I WANTED - BUT NOT TO RUN, AS THAT WOULD DAMAGE MY HIP JOINTS, I STARTED OUT DOING ABOUT 2 MILE A DAY, IN SPURTS OF TEN MINS A TIME, NOW I LOVE IT, I GO ON IT EVERY DAY, AS SOON AS I GET UP IN A MORNING AND DO 2 MILE, I WALK IN MY LUNCH TIME AND ANYTIME THAT I WOULD HAVE SAT DOWN TO WATCH TV, I WALK ON THE TREADMILL NOW AND I CAN STILL WATCH TV (IT IS BEHIND THE SOFA IN LIVING ROOM)
    I WALK AT 3.5 MPH AND I HAVE STUCK MY LAPTOP OVER THE MONITOR ON VELCRO, SO I CAN USE IT AT THE SAME TIME AND THE TIME GOES SO FAST - I DO NOW UPTO 10 MILES A DAY AND LOVE IT.
    MY QUESTION IS, IT SAYS ON THE MONITOR OF THE TREADMILL (REEBOK I-RUN) EVERY MILE = 120 CALORIES IS THIS CORRECT?
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I really don't have the stamina to run! I walk every day Monday-Friday 80 minutes total, at least (walking to, from, and around school, plus any extra). I wish I could run, but I can't run more that 100 feel without feeling tired :( I guess I just need to build up my stamina! :blushing:

this is me:bigsmile:
    i wish i had the stamina to run:blushing:
    I added regular walks to my workout schedule early and I think they really helped me build up a core fitness level that I was able to build on.

Like you, I didn't have the stamina to run, but I'm running now through Couch to 5K. http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/couch-5K-running-plan.aspx

The thing I like about running is how portable it is. I work away from home quite a lot and the days can be really long. Being able to go out for a quick run to get a calorie-burn for the day is brilliant. If I have plenty of time I still like going out for a walk though. :smile:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Great point, C25K and other run-to-walk programmes are awesome.

Walking breaks don't have to stop when you can run three miles either. Running guru Jeff Galloway recommends incorporating walking breaks in long distances and reckons he's seen many marathon runners actually get faster by taking regular running breaks rather than just plodding along slowly. That's certainly been the case with a lot of my running friends!

I do run 4 minutes/walk 1 minute on every run over an hour and I've managed to go further than ever before without going slower than trying to run all the way!
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Walking is awesome!!
    and in some ways, a better option than running long distances.

Alot of pro body builders use walking as part of their conditioning programmes.
    Treadmill set at an incline on a decent pace can be maintained for much much longer than runnng.

For me, i dont do running. Not becuase i'm large or anything, but because its ****e for my knees.
    I can do sprint intervals on grass or sand, but i cant do any sort of distance without it hurting my knees. and i need those for lifting heavy things!
    In fact my knee surgeon guy told me to stop running on anything but sand or soft grass if thats anything to go by.
  • EllieMo
    EllieMo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Depends what the goal is, what their current state of health is, etc. Walking burns calories, but will not improve fitness. From a pure weight-loss point of view, walking is a good, low impact source of exercise, but if improved fitness is also a goal, then running would, of course, be better. But it's not something that can just be launched into, hence the various "couch to 5k" programmes that are available.
  • Pancake86
    Options
    Walking helped me lose 3 stone and of course lowering my cals! So yes you can walk the fat off, but must be long walks and regular. I do 2hr walks about 4 times a week or even longer!!